Old 17-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Road Trip!

Hello, Fellow Orchid Users, er, Growers......

Yesterday Frank & I did something unusual; we took a bus trip with a bunch
of local Society members, down to Homestead. Normally, we like to set our
own schedule and pace, but we had friends going, and it was a good time.
Here's a list of our most recent acquisitions.

From Carib:

Ascda. Indigo (this had a $10 price tag on it! Who could leave it behind?)
C. Hawaiian Variable (Penny Kuroda x guttata) with 6 blooms from one
sheath - smells heavenly
Blc. Waianae Leopard 'Ching Hua' with 5 blooms, opening as we speak

From RF:

Phal. Bonica - this has four spikes of lovely, lightly tesselated yellow to
pink flowers
Renantanda Hew Mun 'Flambeau' (Ren. storlel [sp?] x V. denisoniana) in
spike - this is a great red

From Redland Orchids:

C. gaskeliana 'Blue Dragon' CBM/AOS x Lc. (L. purpurata x Lc. Egerland) -
What does CBM stand for, judges?
L. purpurata v. werkhauseri x L. purpurata 'Blue Lyre'
Blc. Hauserman's Jade 'Addison - this is smaller than I would have liked,
but Frank wanted it. Of course, he doesn't grow them....

And, to put icing on the proverbial cake, we won two plants on the trip
home. The only two Paphs to be raffled, and we got 'em both. Us, the Paph
killers! Now I need to get this right. No more premature Paph deaths. They

P. Blood Clot x Hampshire Raven
P. Hampshire Raven x Jolly Roger

Will try to get pix tomorrow, if sisters Drizzella and Anastasia do not
drive me completely mad first. Chaos coming in tomorrow for a few hours! LOL

Diana

Old 19-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:56:46 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Hello, Fellow Orchid Users, er, Growers......

What does CBM stand for, judges?

Certificate of Botanical Merit - In other words the judges wanted
to get a record of this plant as it is not in the judging records
or they think this clone is significant for some particular
reason.... white when all the recorded ones are colored or
exceptionally large flowers something.

P. Blood Clot x Hampshire Raven
P. Hampshire Raven x Jolly Roger

Double checked - no registrations in my wildcatt but the update
is due in a month.

Will try to get pix tomorrow, if sisters Drizzella and Anastasia do not
drive me completely mad first. Chaos coming in tomorrow for a few hours! LOL
Diana

I was gong to ask about the pix. Now I have to ask about the
'sisters' is this weather or people your talking about?

SuE
Old 19-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Rob

wrote:

Hello, Fellow Orchid Users, er, Growers......

What does CBM stand for, judges?

Certificate of Botanical Merit - In other words the judges wanted
to get a record of this plant as it is not in the judging records
or they think this clone is significant for some particular
reason.... white when all the recorded ones are colored or
exceptionally large flowers something.

Actually I think (I don't have my handbook with me today) that you can
only give one CBR to a species. Other color forms, interesting flowers,
etc, subsequent to the CBR would have to be given a CHM (Certificate of
Horticultural Merit). The only other award you could give something
with a previous CBR is a JC (judges commendation, which you can give for
anything). Or a quality award, of course (HCC, AM, FCC). There are
multiple CBRs to some species in the records, but that is usually
because of changes in taxonomy.

When a species is new to the judging system, a team can make one of
several calls. This is kind of the philosophy I see in my region: 1)
CBR - get it into the judging records, but we don't think it is
something that is of interest to the majority of the orchid growers out
there. 2) CHM - This is a showy species with some horticultural
desirability. It is nice by itself, and/or might be useful in
hybridizing. Perhaps more people would be interested in it if they
knew it existed. 3) Pass. Well... We see a whole lot of weird
pleurothallids, for example. If we wrote every one of the 50+ new
species of pleurothallids we see in our judging center every year, we
would never have time for anything else. It is hard to make the call
between 1 and 3. If the plant looks like it isn't as well grown as it
should be, or isn't really distinct enough from some other previously
awarded species for us to see much of a difference, we will often pass.

The difference between CBR and CHM is subtle, sometimes. The classic
example (attributed to a wide number of senior judges) is the lawnmower
test. If you would notice it, and mow around it in the lawn, it is a
CHM. If you would mow it over, a CBR.

P. Blood Clot x Hampshire Raven
P. Hampshire Raven x Jolly Roger

Well, I can imagine what they will look like... *grin*

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 19-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Diana Kulaga

Good grief, I may have to join the judging program just to get a handle on
all those outre awards!

Drizzella and Anastasia are people, notably two of my sisters from NY. (Real
names - Pame and Michelle.) I love them dearly, but it is like stormy
weather whenever they descend upon us. If they say they'll be here at noon,
hope for 2PM and plan on three. Don't make plans to take them anywhere,
because it won't be time for anything by the time they get settled. It takes
them five minutes to get from the car to the front door. They weigh a good
70% more than I do, and they tell me how to eat! And I do love 'em.

I've been trying to post pictures to apbo for two days. Keep getting error
messages. Will try again. Ick.

Diana

Potato varieties and a trip to the HDRA jane United Kingdom 21 05-02-2004 08:06 PM
[IBC] Making a weekend trip - Collecting Oppty's near Asheville, NC dalecochoy Bonsai 0 07-04-2003 05:56 PM
Making a weekend trip - Collecting Oppty's near Asheville, NC Allen Bonsai 0 07-04-2003 04:56 PM
Road trip Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Trip to USA sacha United Kingdom 8 19-10-2002 07:31 AM