Old 18-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Tippi

Default broke new growth

While repotting my mom's Lc., I broke off the tip of one of the new
growths. The plant responded by putting out 4 new growths - two just
below the break, 1 in the previous pseudobulb and 1 in the one before
that. If all 4 are allowed to mature, would it really sap the plant of
energy and affect the quantity and quality of flowers? (When we first
got it the plant gave 4 flowers per growth, now it's up to 12+.) Should
we reduce it to say two? TIA

Old 18-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Rob

Tippi wrote:
While repotting my mom's Lc., I broke off the tip of one of the new
growths. The plant responded by putting out 4 new growths - two just
below the break, 1 in the previous pseudobulb and 1 in the one before
that. If all 4 are allowed to mature, would it really sap the plant of
energy and affect the quantity and quality of flowers? (When we first
got it the plant gave 4 flowers per growth, now it's up to 12+.) Should
we reduce it to say two? TIA

No. I don't think new growth ever saps the energy of a plant.
Flowering will. New growth is what gives the plant energy. If you
want, you could allow all four growths to mature, and remove the spikes
from two.

I'd probably let it be. Four new growths is a really good thing. Don't
discourage that kind of behavior.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 19-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Susan Erickson

On 18 Jul 2005 06:38:09 -0700, "Tippi" wrote:

While repotting my mom's Lc., I broke off the tip of one of the new
growths. The plant responded by putting out 4 new growths - two just
below the break, 1 in the previous pseudobulb and 1 in the one before
that. If all 4 are allowed to mature, would it really sap the plant of
energy and affect the quantity and quality of flowers? (When we first
got it the plant gave 4 flowers per growth, now it's up to 12+.) Should
we reduce it to say two? TIA

No this will not sap the strength. This is the source of new
roots and new strength. Just make sure you keep the light and
the food coming. This should give you the opportunity to have an
outstanding display if all four are getting a good share of the
light and time their blooming together. Or an exceptionally long
bloom if they decide to do it sequentially.

There is joy after disaster. Enjoy.
SuE
Old 19-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

My 2 cents: Be grateful for gifts!

Diana

Old 20-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Tippi

I was originally concerned that with 4 new growths, the reserve from
the back bulbs would be spread too thin. However the plant seems to
know what it's doing; the two growths just below the break seems to
have stopped elongating, whereas the 2 from previous growths are coming
up fast. We may end up with just 2 new bulbs.

Thanks to all who replied!

Old 21-07-2005, 03:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On 20 Jul 2005 14:03:56 -0700, "Tippi" wrote:

I was originally concerned that with 4 new growths, the reserve from
the back bulbs would be spread too thin. However the plant seems to
know what it's doing; the two growths just below the break seems to
have stopped elongating, whereas the 2 from previous growths are coming
up fast. We may end up with just 2 new bulbs.

Thanks to all who replied!

I would place money on all 4 developing. Maybe just not at the
same speed - which will give you flowers over a longer period of
time -- hopefully.
SuE