Old 13-04-2006, 08:48 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Otto Bahn

Default Why blue light affects vegetation growth.

"N92" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

--oTTo--

Old 13-04-2006, 11:36 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Cameron

"Otto Bahn" wrote in message
"N92" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

There are a few different forms of chlorophyll, they repspond to different
wavelengths. Chlorophyll b responds to a peak of arround 480 nanometers
(greeny/blue light) That'l give you a bit to start with, given it's a gread
ten project you might or might not go to look at the day effects of light
and flowering because wavelength and duration of radiation has some effects
there.

Happy researching.

Old 14-04-2006, 12:28 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Otto Bahn

"Cameron" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

There are a few different forms of chlorophyll, they repspond to different
wavelengths. Chlorophyll b responds to a peak of arround 480 nanometers
(greeny/blue light) That'l give you a bit to start with, given it's a gread
ten project you might or might not go to look at the day effects of light and
flowering because wavelength and duration of radiation has some effects there.

"Harvest Moon", by Margaret Wise Green

--oTTo--

Old 14-04-2006, 01:47 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Daniel Jackson

"Cameron" wrote in message
u...

"Otto Bahn" wrote in message
[...]

As Cameron noted, you are going to need to start thinking in nanometers and
what plants react to the spectrum described with color.Exactly why does
"blue light" have an effect on vegetation? It is doubtful that all
vegetation is similar in its response to changes in the "blue light " region
of the spectrum.How *much* of the spectrum?Where, the beginning or end?Some
dropoff in the middle?
The nanometer reading at top and bottom of this "blue light" is how wide?
What is the growing cycle, the soil PH,the water quality and amount, where
is it on the globe-near the equator, where it is hot hot hot, or in the
tundra growing on the north side of trees, a sort of moss.(edible as well,
besides useable for a compass)?
If you are more specific, you can get a more specific answer.As specific as
you wanna make it.

DJ

" I wanna banish you from whence you came.
but you're part of me now, and I've only got
myself to blame "
T h e D a r k n e s s , track 3 , my disc player says 3 minutes 39 seconds

Old 15-04-2006, 06:10 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Mark Fergerson

Otto Bahn wrote:
"N92" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

Ah, "works better" at doing what exactly though, huh?

Shaniya would do well to consider why most leaves look green (i.e.
reflect that part of the spectrum) when that's the peak part of the EM
spectrum easily transmitted through the atmosphere energy-content-wise.

Hint; what leaves don't reflect, they absorb.

Also, look at things from a leaf's POV; where in the 4pi steradians
of its environment does light of a particular color tend to come from
(up/down/sideways), and what good does it do for the plant to beable to
absorb these wavelengths? What does it do with that light once it's
absorbed it? Plants obviously need light to do photosynthesis, but other
plants compete for it. How do plants know what strategy to use to
succeed at that competition?

Mark L. Fergerson

PS Purely Kibological responses prolly oughta be trimmed out of the
botany group.

Old 15-04-2006, 06:16 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:10:58 -0700, Mark Fergerson
wrote:

Also, look at things from a leaf's POV

I believe the expression is "Make like a tree and leave."
Old 15-04-2006, 07:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
TomH

Mark Fergerson wrote:

Otto Bahn wrote:
"N92" wrote
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Hint; what leaves don't reflect, they absorb.

Also, look at things from a leaf's POV; where in the 4pi steradians of
its environment does light of a particular color tend to come from
(up/down/sideways), and what good does it do for the plant to beable to
absorb these wavelengths? What does it do with that light once it's
absorbed it? Plants obviously need light to do photosynthesis, but other
plants compete for it. How do plants know what strategy to use to
succeed at that competition?

If you're talking science here, your answer is far too
complex, and you must refer back to the question for
specifics to obtain the correct, modern science answer.

Out of doors, there are two kinds of light - yellow and
blue, from the sun and the sky respectively. Indoors,
you have only yellow light from teh sun and lamps and
such. So blue light affects the outdoor 'vegetation
plants' of Shaniya's question, whereas blue light does
not affect the indoor 'house' plants because it is not
available to them.

This is exactly why blue light has an effect on
vegetation plants.

--

TomH [ antonomasia at gmail dot com ]
Old 16-04-2006, 11:28 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Otto Bahn

"Mark Fergerson" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

Ah, "works better" at doing what exactly though, huh?

Penetration. Any light that misses chloroplasts on one
side of the leave are likely to hit the backside of the
chloroplasts on the other side. Red tends to get absorbed
inside the leaf. Green doesn't penetrate at all.

--oTTo--

Old 17-04-2006, 04:00 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Mark Fergerson

Otto Bahn wrote:
"Mark Fergerson" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

Ah, "works better" at doing what exactly though, huh?

Penetration. Any light that misses chloroplasts on one
side of the leave are likely to hit the backside of the
chloroplasts on the other side. Red tends to get absorbed
inside the leaf. Green doesn't penetrate at all.

OK, we're gonna have to sneak up on expliciticity.

We can't discuss "exactly why blue light has an effect on vegetation
plants" until we nail down what effect blue light has on plants. We know
they don't reflect it or transmit it, hence they must use it for
something once it's absorbed.

Shaniya, I don't want to do your homework for you, but I'll point out
that plants do several things with light: photosynthesis,
photomorphogenesis, photoperiodism, and phototropism.

Now do some Googling with these questions in mind: which of those
functions will be specifically affected by the
amount/orientation/periodicity of the available photons at the blue end
of the spectrum, and how? It will help if you know something about the
structures plants use to detect light. As in animals they're known as
photoreceptors, and contain specific sensor pigments. Unlike in animals,
those sensors are not primarily localized, but are distributed
throughout the plant with some concentrated in certain areas. Find out
where those areas are and which pigments are concentrated where.

Mark L. Fergerson

Old 17-04-2006, 04:09 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
TeaLady (Mari C.)

"Otto Bahn" wrote in
:

Penetration. Any light that misses chloroplasts on one
side of the leave are likely to hit the backside of the
chloroplasts on the other side.

Look, I didn't join this bbs so people could spout PRON at me -
especially without marking the headers sos I could skip over it

sheesh

--
TeaLady (mari)

"The principal of Race is meant to embody and express the utter
negation of human freedom, the denial of equal rights, a
challenge in the face of mankind." A. Kolnai
Avast ye scurvy dogs ! Thar be no disease in this message.

Old 17-04-2006, 01:53 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when Mark Fergerson wrote:

Shaniya wrote:
I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College. I was wondering if you
could tell me exactly why blue light has an effect on vegetation
plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.

As a control group for your experiments, you should consider eggplant
and Nehi Blue Cream Soda.

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old 17-04-2006, 01:58 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Mark Edwards

[snips]

No cluons were harmed when "TeaLady (Mari C.)"
wrote:
Look, I didn't join this bbs so people could spout PRON at me -
especially without marking the headers sos I could skip over it

Wait until they start talking about blastulas and fistulas and
pistels and stamens and having three-ways with "social" insects.

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old 17-04-2006, 03:17 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Otto Bahn

"TeaLady (Mari C.)" wrote

Penetration. Any light that misses chloroplasts on one
side of the leave are likely to hit the backside of the
chloroplasts on the other side.

Look, I didn't join this bbs so people could spout PRON at me -

I don't know what this "PRON" thing is, but at face value
I don't believe you.

especially without marking the headers sos I could skip over it

Skip to the loo my darlin'.

--oTTo-- == Never did understand that last one

Old 18-04-2006, 09:55 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Adam Funk

On 2006-04-13, Otto Bahn wrote:
"N92" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

Maybe the people in the headshop round the corner would know.