Old 20-06-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

Default Another mystery tree from France

I live in Southern California and 8 years ago I brought back a seed
from a tree picked up in my native France.
Can you help me identify it? Check out pics there...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbonda...LsuDFBW.0S.3uO

Old 20-06-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JB wrote:
I live in Southern California and 8 years ago I brought back a seed
from a tree picked up in my native France.
Can you help me identify it? Check out pics there...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbonda...LsuDFBW.0S.3uO

Phew! That's a bit difficult - I'm native from France and it could be
so many trees! I first thought of a walnut. It's the right size for an
8 years old tree. Where about did you pick the seed from? A woodland? A
field? Where about in France? Ailianthus looks like this too ....

Old 20-06-2006, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Southern California and 8 years ago I brought back a seed
from a tree picked up in my native France.
Can you help me identify it? Check out pics there...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbonda...LsuDFBW.0S.3uO

Looks not dissimilar to Caragana perhaps?

Old 20-06-2006, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

La Puce wrote:
JB wrote:
I live in Southern California and 8 years ago I brought back a seed
from a tree picked up in my native France.
Can you help me identify it? Check out pics there...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbonda...LsuDFBW.0S.3uO

Phew! That's a bit difficult - I'm native from France and it could be
so many trees! I first thought of a walnut. It's the right size for an
8 years old tree. Where about did you pick the seed from? A woodland? A
field? Where about in France? Ailianthus looks like this too ....

I picked it up I think from a forest just outside of Paris (west).
Ailianthus leaf edges look smoother than on this mystery tree though

Old 20-06-2006, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Looks not dissimilar to Caragana perhaps?

Caragana have round leaves not tipped like the OP's picture.

http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/carar02.jpg

Old 20-06-2006, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Southern California and 8 years ago I brought back a seed
from a tree picked up in my native France.
Can you help me identify it? Check out pics there...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbonda...LsuDFBW.0S.3uO

Looks not dissimilar to Caragana perhaps?

Caragan leaves look much rounder...

Old 20-06-2006, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JB wrote:
I picked it up I think from a forest just outside of Paris (west).

Hmmmm... that doesn't help much. I lived in Fontainebleau for a while,
but then that doesn't help much either ))

Ailianthus leaf edges look smoother than on this mystery tree though

Yes. A walnut? Perhaps we ought to wait for flowers. A supposed you
haven't had any yet?

Old 20-06-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

La Puce wrote:
JB wrote:
I picked it up I think from a forest just outside of Paris (west).

Hmmmm... that doesn't help much. I lived in Fontainebleau for a while,
but then that doesn't help much either ))

Ailianthus leaf edges look smoother than on this mystery tree though

Yes. A walnut? Perhaps we ought to wait for flowers. A supposed you
haven't had any yet?

I've never had any flowers. My guess is it doesn't like southern
california weather. I also have a buck-eye (marronier) and it is
surving too despite the heat.

Old 20-06-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 20/6/06 21:55, in article
, "JB"
wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Southern California and 8 years ago I brought back a seed
from a tree picked up in my native France.
Can you help me identify it? Check out pics there...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbonda...ph&.tok=phLsuD
FBW.0S.3uO

Looks not dissimilar to Caragana perhaps?

Caragan leaves look much rounder...

It makes me think of one of the climbers like Pyrostegia or something of
that sort.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-06-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
It makes me think of one of the climbers like Pyrostegia or something of
that sort.

That's so funny - I was thinking of the chocolate flower climber -
can't remember the name now. Here the Pyrostegia I got - I thought it
was so funny. I'm collecting funnies of plants. Beats collecting stamps
I s'pose )

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...a_venusta2.jpg

Old 21-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
I don't know which you're thinking of but not Akebia quinata, surely?

Yes, that's the one and I know - I've got one in my wheelbarrow rescued
from my verhanda a couple of years ago. Not the same leaves at all
indeed - ignore my madness, my happiness today has gone to my head. Our
Akebia is waiting to be rehomed on a friend's balcony who is taking far
too long to organise the move. Another year and I'll have it dangling
into the street!!