Old 01-03-2003, 07:01 AM
Cowboy

Default Speaking of Ivies...

Hello Once Again,

Here's another short story of a conundrum I face. While walking with a
friend in his neighborhood we passed a house with a nice yard cover with
what I suppose was yet another Ivy. This ivy was being use as ground
covering as the whole front yard was nicely cover with it. I mentioned
wanting a clipping and he proceeded to yank a stem out of the ground and
gave it to me.

I took it home, cut it into five segments and placed them in it's own
planter and the same generic soil that I have my other Ivies in. The leaves
have since died (one of which is pictured) which I anticipated but one of
the stems has budded. My question is, just what kind of Ivy is this or
better yet is it even an Ivy? Also, can I grow it indoors under the 150W
incandescent bulb without some special treatment?

Here is a picture of the dead clipped leaf and again thank you for any
answers and advise.

http://cactuscowboy0.tripod.com/Ivy2.htm

Cowboy

Old 01-03-2003, 01:07 PM
Iris Cohen

one of the stems has budded. My question is, just what kind of Ivy is this
or better yet is it even an Ivy? Also, can I grow it indoors under the 150W
incandescent bulb without some special treatment?

This time you have Hedera helix, English ivy. You can probably grow it indoors,
but it will want a little more light than the pothos, yet it wants to be
cooler. It will be better off on a cool windowsill. Also, especially since it
came from outdoors, English ivy is susceptible to spider mites and many other
ills. Keep a close watch on it.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 02-03-2003, 06:26 AM
Martin Rand

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
one of the stems has budded. My question is, just what kind of Ivy is

this
or better yet is it even an Ivy? Also, can I grow it indoors under the

150W
incandescent bulb without some special treatment?

This time you have Hedera helix, English ivy. You can probably grow it

indoors,
but it will want a little more light than the pothos, yet it wants to be
cooler. It will be better off on a cool windowsill. Also, especially since

it
came from outdoors, English ivy is susceptible to spider mites and many

other
ills. Keep a close watch on it.

Iris, how could you tell that's H. helix and not another weakly /
sporadically lobed species e.g. H. algeriensis Hibberd?

Old 02-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Iris Cohen

Iris, how could you tell that's H. helix and not another weakly
/sporadically lobed species e.g. H. algeriensis Hibberd?

Hedera helix is the species most likely to be grown as an outdoor ground cover
in the temperate US. Hedera algeriensis & H. canariensis are not that hardy.
Also, it looks more like the typical outdoor H. helix. Not that it matters. The
instructions for growing it indoors are essentially the same.

Old 03-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Martin Rand

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Iris, how could you tell that's H. helix and not another weakly
/sporadically lobed species e.g. H. algeriensis Hibberd?

Hedera helix is the species most likely to be grown as an outdoor ground

cover
in the temperate US. Hedera algeriensis & H. canariensis are not that

hardy.
Also, it looks more like the typical outdoor H. helix. Not that it

matters. The
instructions for growing it indoors are essentially the same.

Thanks. The same would be true here, but H. colchica is also popular as
ground cover. H. algeriensis is grown indoors or on patios but is only
occasionally established in the wild for any length of time, and then mostly
by mild coasts.

What's the difference between H. algeriensis and H. canariensis, by the way?

Old 04-03-2003, 03:15 AM
Iris Cohen

What's the difference between H. algeriensis and H. canariensis, by the way?

H. algeriensis is always found in the company of camels. H. canariensis is
bright yellow, but it doesn't sing.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Martin Rand

Thanks, Iris. Does it have a serious answer as well? :-)

I ask because I can't find a UK botanical reference that separates them, and
horticultural sources seem to apply the same cultivar names to either
specific quite happily.

Old 05-03-2003, 03:03 AM
Iris Cohen

Does it have a serious answer as well?

Hedera algeriensis is apparently a horticultural name, & is considered a
synonym of Hedera helix. Hedera canariensis was reported from the Canary
Islands, but it was published almost 200 years ago, & may also be a
horticultural variant. IPNI fainted at that point, so I couldn't get any more
information.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:05 AM
Martin Rand

Aha. The plot thickens.

Stace (New Flora of the British Isles, 2nd edn, 1997) reckons H. algeriensis
Hibberd, which he says is _not_ the same as H. canariensis Willd., but _is_
the same as some others' H. canariensis, is a distinct species and can be
separated from H. helix on the colour and form of the hairs on leaves and
young stems, and then from H. colchica on the number of rays on the hairs.
He gives 2n=48 for H. helix ssp. helix, 2n=96 for H. helix ssp. hibernica,
2n=96 for H. algeriensis, and 2n=192 for H. colchica.

Clement and Foster (Alien Plants of the British Isles, 1994) reckon that H.
algeriensis Hibberd and H. canariensis Willd. _are_ for the same plant,
which should be H. helix ssp. canariensis (Willd.) Cout., but as theirs is
simply a catalogue they don't give diagnostics.

I don't have Flora Europaea to hand, unfortunately. (Or perhaps
fortunately - it might give me another story :-)

IPNI gets you first usage, but isn't much good on relating these
nomenclatures, unfortunately.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:56 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Martin Rand schreef
[...]

+ + +
Yes, IPNI just gives first publication. IPNI reports a name by "Hort." for
both Hedera algeriensis and Hedera canariensis: these may or may not be the
same as Hedera algeriensis Hibberd and Hedera canariensis Willd.

Since the RHS Plantfinder accepts both species there must be something in
it.
PvR