Old 08-07-2003, 03:09 AM
Iris Cohen

Default white flowers

About some flowers, my books said "red (or purple, or blue), sometimes
white". BRBR
Are they albinos ? BRBR

Yes. In some plants, I know it is true in orchids, there are two or three steps
in the conversion of sugar to anthocyanin, involving certain enzymes. If there
is a mutation which disables any one of the enzymes in the pathway, the result
is white flowers.

Do the seeds give another white ? BRBR

Generally yes. The gene which produces the defective or missing enzyme is
usually recessive. If you self pollinate a plant with wnite flowers, you can
expect all white progeny. If you cross two white flowers, you may or may not
get all white offspring, depending on whether the genes match up.

I think they appear at the end of the flowering period ? BRBR

Not sure what you mean. I don't know of any plants which produce colored
flowers at the beginning of their flowering season and white flowers later on.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 18-09-2003, 02:02 PM
BGGS

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
About some flowers, my books said "red (or purple, or blue), sometimes
white". BRBR
Are they albinos ? BRBR

Not sure what you mean. I don't know of any plants which produce colored
flowers at the beginning of their flowering season and white flowers later

on.
Iris,

I planted blue Delphiniums and they grew tall (about a metre) and strong.
At the end of the Summer (1998) I cut them back to ground level and left
them in. The next Spring (and every year since) they have come up white;
equally vigorous in growth and with a storm of blossom on them.

They seem a very reliable plant, with tough celery-like stalks and I've seen
nothing eating them _yet_ so they don't suffer from too many pests.
I wonder if I could influence them in some way to change colour again ?

Old 18-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Iris Cohen

I planted blue Delphiniums and they grew tall (about a metre) and strong.
At the end of the Summer (1998) I cut them back to ground level and left
them in. The next Spring (and every year since) they have come up white;
equally vigorous in growth and with a storm of blossom on them.
I wonder if I could influence them in some way to change colour again ?

I would guess that you had two seedlings stuck together. When you cut them back
to ground level (which you shouldn't have done; you should have left the basal
leaves), the blue one probably died & a white one survived. If you want blue
you will have to plant another one.
Old 18-09-2003, 04:02 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

I planted blue Delphiniums and they grew tall (about a metre) and
strong.
At the end of the Summer (1998) I cut them back to ground level and left
them in. The next Spring (and every year since) they have come up white;
equally vigorous in growth and with a storm of blossom on them.
I wonder if I could influence them in some way to change colour again ?

Iris Cohen schreef
I would guess that you had two seedlings stuck together. When you cut them

back
to ground level (which you shouldn't have done; you should have left the

basal
leaves), the blue one probably died & a white one survived. If you want

blue
you will have to plant another one.
Iris,

+ + +
Seems like this is indeed just guessing.
PvR

Old 18-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

That is really an amazing anecdote but we cannot verify its authenticity
from here.

That's about as amazing as a "born again" virgin growing back her hymen.

In logic, there is something called "false cause". Check it out!!

Old 18-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Iris Cohen

Seems like this is indeed just guessing.

Yes it is. Since you are closer, why don't you go look at them?

Old 19-09-2003, 08:04 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Seems like this is indeed just guessing.

Iris Cohen schreef
Yes it is. Since you are closer, why don't you go look at them?
Iris,

+ + +
And do what? Guess on the spot, instead of from behind a computer screen?
PvR

PS: am I closer? Maybe YOU should go look?

Old 20-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Iris Cohen

And do what? Guess on the spot, instead of from behind a computer screen?

That's what I would do, look at it closely to see if there may once have been
two plants.

PS: am I closer? Maybe YOU should go look?

I hope you know I was kidding. From the spelling I assumed the questioner is
British.

Old 20-09-2003, 08:32 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
And do what? Guess on the spot, instead of from behind a computer

screen?

That's what I would do, look at it closely to see if there may once have

been two plants.

+ + +
How easy will that be, if the original plant is assumed to have died in
1999? Also the owner may not look kindly upon his flower bed being dug up.

+ + +
PS: am I closer? Maybe YOU should go look?

I hope you know I was kidding. From the spelling I assumed the questioner

is British.
Iris,

+ + +
You may be right, it does look British