Old 10-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Frank Reichenbacher

Default Latest & Greatest in Place of Cronquist '68

I've been out of the botanical loop for quite a while and when I went to
look up something in my Cronquist 1968 I found that it has grown feet and
wandered away from my abode.

Is there anything to replace it of equal utility, portability, and
comprehensiveness?

Frank

Old 10-11-2003, 10:23 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

It all depends on what you are looking for.
Books that grow feet are usually not easily found.
PvR

Frank Reichenbacher schreef

Old 10-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Your presumption that Cronquist's book was all that great is really sad.

Go to a college university book store and you will easily find a worthy
replacement.

Maybe even among the bargain books!!!

Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Frank Reichenbacher

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
It all depends on what you are looking for.
Books that grow feet are usually not easily found.
PvR

Ha ha, very funny.

Frank

Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Frank Reichenbacher

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. com...
Your presumption that Cronquist's book was all that great is really sad.

Go to a college university book store and you will easily find a worthy
replacement.

Maybe even among the bargain books!!!

So I take it that there isn't anything better.

Frank

Old 11-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

If you are referring to:

"Cronquist, Arthur (1968) The Evolution and Classification of Flowering
Plants. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston.",

There have been many books on plant classification published since that
piece of crap that are much better. His plant family concepts weren't even
accepted in his own lifetime and are not at all accepted today. What good
is utility, portability, and presumed comprehensiveness if the book is
completely wrong?

Too bad there isn't a "Golden Book" on plant classification or "Plant
Classification for Dummies" that suits your needs.

news

Old 11-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Frank Reichenbacher

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
news
If you are referring to:

"Cronquist, Arthur (1968) The Evolution and Classification of Flowering
Plants. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston.",

There have been many books on plant classification published since that
piece of crap that are much better. His plant family concepts weren't even
accepted in his own lifetime and are not at all accepted today. What good
is utility, portability, and presumed comprehensiveness if the book is
completely wrong?

Too bad there isn't a "Golden Book" on plant classification or "Plant
Classification for Dummies" that suits your needs.

**** you too asshole.

Frank

Old 11-11-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Frank Reichenbacher schreef
Is there anything to replace it of equal utility, portability, and
comprehensiveness?

+ + +
This remains as vague as it possibly can be.

If you are looking for a useful, comprehensive and portable work on current
taxonomy of vascular plants you can do what everybody else does and buy The
Plant-Book by prof D.J.Mabberley. You might recognize it as the successor of
what used to be known as Willis.

However since you give no indication on what you need it for, this might be
entirely unsuited for you.

As to equal, why not aim for something better?
PvR

Old 11-11-2003, 01:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Frank Reichenbacher schreef
Ha ha, very funny.

Frank

Thank you. I thought it was brilliant, being funny in three different ways,
and each being true. I don't come up with such good ones often!
PvR

Old 11-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Frank Reichenbacher

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Frank Reichenbacher schreef
Is there anything to replace it of equal utility, portability, and
comprehensiveness?

+ + +
This remains as vague as it possibly can be.

If you are looking for a useful, comprehensive and portable work on

current
taxonomy of vascular plants you can do what everybody else does and buy

The
Plant-Book by prof D.J.Mabberley. You might recognize it as the successor

of
what used to be known as Willis.

However since you give no indication on what you need it for, this might

be
entirely unsuited for you.

As to equal, why not aim for something better?

I am looking for a single volume synopsis of plant systematics for the
world. Cronquist '68 was limited to flowering plants, I would like
everything in Plantae. Mabberly, as you are aware, is nothing at all like
the old Cronquist book.

Frank

PvR

Old 11-11-2003, 03:42 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Frank Reichenbacher schreef
I am looking for a single volume synopsis of plant systematics for the
world. Cronquist '68 was limited to flowering plants, I would like
everything in Plantae. Mabberley, as you are aware, is nothing at all like
the old Cronquist book.

That took you awhile to be precise. However put like that the question is
easy. The latest work to contain all the species of Plantae of the world (as
then known) is the Species Plantarum. It is reprinted regularly.
PvR

You might also care to read the mini-FAQ

Old 11-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Frank Reichenbacher
writes

I am looking for a single volume synopsis of plant systematics for the
world. Cronquist '68 was limited to flowering plants, I would like
everything in Plantae. Mabberly, as you are aware, is nothing at all like
the old Cronquist book.

Perhaps PvR can comment as to whether Judd et al would be an acceptable
substitute (I haven't seen Cronquist myself), tho' Judd et al tends to
miss out minor families.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-11-2003, 08:03 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
Perhaps PvR can comment as to whether Judd et al would be an acceptable
substitute (I haven't seen Cronquist myself), tho' Judd et al tends to
miss out minor families.

+ + +
No, I can't comment really.
The book by Judd &al is a logical choice (which is why I suggested it).
I am not really familiar with the small '68 Cronquist (leafed through it
once) as I look up things in the 'big' '81 Cronquist (when necessary, which
is not often).
There are plenty of books (am not really familiar with all of them) but as
the OP is extremely vague about what he wants (exactly like the '68
Cronquist but not the '68 Cronquist: bigger in content but not bigger in
size, and modern) it is anybody's guess. Maybe a look in a bookstore, or
dare I suggest it ... a library would be a good idea.
PvR

Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Frank Reichenbacher
writes
I've been out of the botanical loop for quite a while and when I went to
look up something in my Cronquist 1968 I found that it has grown feet and
wandered away from my abode.

Is there anything to replace it of equal utility, portability, and
comprehensiveness?

Frank

This is the Amazon Page for Judd et al

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068585745/
sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

and for the 1993 edition of Heywood.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068586076/
sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

A recentish (1992) book by Cronquist (which I suspect fails on
portability)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068586444/
sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

BTW, while digging on Amazon I find that Vol. 6 of the Families and
Genera of Flowering Plants is in press. To quote "In the present volume
- the sixth of this series - 48 flowering plant families comprising a
total of 712 genera are treated. They represent the newly designed
eurosid orders Celastrales, Oxalidales and Rosales and the asterid
orders Cornales and Ericales. The recognition of these ordinal concepts
is the result of numerous recent gene sequence analyses which, for the
first time in angiosperm systematics, have provided a reliable higher
order classification. The concept of Ericales is largely expanded beyond
its conventional limits to make it monophyletic and now includes parts
of the erstwhile Ebenales, Lecythidales, Primulales and other orders.
The revised circumscription of families such as Ericaceae, Celastraceae
and Cunoniaceae owes much to the application of recent molecular
studies, and for the same reason in the primulalean families, a complete
remodeling of family limits is proposed."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1068586727/
sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-6352678-0573556?v=glance&s=books

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Una Smith

Frank Reichenbacher wrote:
I am looking for a single volume synopsis of plant systematics for the
world. Cronquist '68 was limited to flowering plants, I would like
everything in Plantae.

You want descriptions of all families, and an explanation
of the family circumscription, and references to related
families. Anything else?

No such book exists; it sounds as if, for your purposes,
you would do best to buy a used copy of Cronquist's book.

There is "Families and Genera of Vascular Plants", which is
a multivolume series: the series is very good, but most
volumes are still in preparation and the ones in print
each cost several hundred dollars US.

There is "Angiosperm Families" (also known as "Families of
Flowering Plants") by Watson and Dallwitz. The source is
an online database, with derivative HTML web pages etc.:
http://biodiversity.bio.uno.edu/delta/angio/. You could
download each of the over 500 families they describe into
a PDA or print each family's description and lug with you.
The downloads are free.

Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM 87545