Old 19-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Cereus-validus

PhD and 40 years experience doing what? Flipping burgers at Micky Dee's? You
see a phony every day when you look in a mirror, UpChuck. All the time, I
see know nothing dweebs with degrees. You are another to add to the list. So
far, it appears the only experience you have with plants is eating salad.

Your e-mail address doesn't have an .edu at the end. So, I know you are not
a professional educator. You are just another lying troll egomaniac.

If you ever actually answer anybody's questions we will have proof exactly
what little you do know. Until then, why don't you just go back to looking
at porn and stop showing everyone how worthless you are.

"Chuck" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
"The Botanical Sciences"?

What is that supposed to be, UpChuck, some sort of new age religion?

The science is called botany. Its the study of plants, plain and simple.

You have never shown even the slightest whit of understanding of basic
botany in any of your postings, you pompous dweeb.

Today, I spent the morning identifying plants and how to properly grow

them
in a local conservatory.

I doubt you even know shit from shinola.

You are about as knowledgeable and as dangerous as the arses in the
following links.

PhD and 40 years experience say different. And I know phony when I

observe
one and you are a perfect example. Again, your name calling does nothing
except verify my conclusion.

CWR.

http://www.internetweekly.org/images/bush_shinola.jpg

http://www.internetweekly.org/images...al_shinola.jpg

http://www.freshwidow.com/bradscomix...t_shinola1.jpg

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Spirit of Botanical Science?

You have a very Dickensian view of the world, M&M.

And after due observation, you don't have much real knowledge about

The
Botanical Sciences. So Others can discuss and you, as usual, can

continue
making your inane comments.

CWR

Some of his conclusions from his observations were based on

misconceptions
and not as interesting as you may want to believe. You may be hoping

for
something that does not exist.

"Mike Martin" wrote in message
Everything else was interesting. Let the spirit of botanical

science
thrive, let's discuss his questions.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
The question was already answered, meathead.

The plant was top heavy and needed to be staked.

Everything else was irrelevant.

"Mike Martin" wrote in message
Does anyone have answers to this guy's awesome and totally
interesting
question?

Mike

"Davisons Trull" wrote in message
Hi botanists,

Total n00b, in no way a botanist, just wondering on plant
weirdness.
Well,
weird to me!

Heres the story...

A year ago my mum gave me a plant. Its a family thing, been

handed
down
through the generations - we all have one. It was quite a

chunky
chap
when
he was given to me. Big, thick stem, sprouting out into

other
very
healthy
looking stems, each with big, green bulbous leaves. Sorry,

none
of
us
know
what it is Anyway, after four weeks it just started

falling
pieces.
Woah! I thought. Can't lose plant!! I had a quick chat with

my
mum
and
she
said it was odd, but even from a leaf they can just grow

back,
so
shouldn't worry. Fair enough, I thought. So, every bit that

fell
off
re-potted and for each pot I tried different tactics, you

know,
try
and
figure out what I did to kill it the first time. All the

little
pieces
survived, but the main plan died.

Ok. Now I have 5 plants. I I want to know where I went

wrong,
so
give
them
all slightly different conditions:

1. Small pot, soil, little water, in the shade
2. Medium pot, soil, medium water, indirect sunlight.
3. Small pot, only water, direct sunlight.
4. Large pot, soil, lots of water, direct sunlight, baby

bio.
5. Large pot, soil, see how he survives outside

A year later, they are all still alive!

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant

fell
pieces
it was simply reproducing. I mean, after all, there are 5 of

them
now
and
try as I might to get the main stem to grow it steadfast

refused.

Anyway, thats not the freaky part. Why did I put "plant

memory"
in
the
subject? Well. Remember plant no. 5? He didn't do too well
outside.
In
fact, I totally forgot he was out there until about a month

later.
He'd
fallen over in the wind, soil spilt everywhere and barely a

leaf
left.
picked him up, fixed the soil and brought him back with the
others.

Over the next few months he made a great recovery. His stem

grew
stronger
than the others, and took on a darker sort of "woody" style.

figured
he
was a tough nut now.

So, I come back today and.... he was growing sideways. Yes,

thats
right.
He
was upright yesterday, and today he has bent his stem 90

degrees.
Its
like
he "remembered" that he fell over this time last year, and

so
decided
fall over again! Probably in preparation for "the big

knock".

Obviously the 4 other plants are still growing upright.

Is this "normal" plant behavior? Will I have to train

"junior"
stand
up
straight, or will he "fall over" again this time next year?

Old 19-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Chuck

Was never much for titles, but you seem to not understand much else.
Besides, weren't you the one who told me you were an expert at everything.
Tnink a little now, when you add 40 years + PhD you get retired which
further verifies my opinion which agrees with many others. Also perhaps I
was in Private Industey or self employed. You're undoubtably the troll.

CWR

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem

plant

Old 20-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Cereus-validus

Chuckie baby, are you saying you can't possibly be a troll because your are
so computer inept you don't know how to do a spell check? Then all you could
be is just a bitter old man with too much time on his hands? Yeah, I saw a
panhandler on the street that said he was self-employed independent
contractor!!!

hlink.net...

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem

Old 20-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Chuck

AT LEAST I USE MY REAL NAME. WHY ARE YOU AFRAID TO USE YOURS?

CWR

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Chuckie baby, are you saying you can't possibly be a troll because your

are
so computer inept you don't know how to do a spell check? Then all you

could
be is just a bitter old man with too much time on his hands? Yeah, I saw a
panhandler on the street that said he was self-employed independent
contractor!!!

hlink.net...

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem

Old 20-08-2004, 12:56 AM
David Hershey

"Mike Martin" wrote in message ...
Does anyone have answers to this guy's awesome and totally interesting
question?

Mike

I don't see any evidence of plant memory in this situation.

There have been serious scientific studies of plant memory and plant
intelligence, not to be confused with the pseudoscience in the
bestseller The Secret Life of Plants. The first symposium on plant
neurobiology is set for next year:

http://izmb.de/zellbio/volkmann/neuro_meeting.html

A recent article, "Aspects of Plant Intelligence", in a respected
botany journal has a section on "plant memory and information
retrival."

http://aob.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/full/92/1/1

Old 20-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Peter Jason

I always said plants were social, and tend to copy each other.

"Mike Martin" wrote in message
Does anyone have answers to this guy's awesome and totally interesting
question?

Mike

"Davisons Trull" wrote in message
Hi botanists,

Total n00b, in no way a botanist, just wondering on plant weirdness.

Well,
weird to me!

Heres the story...

A year ago my mum gave me a plant. Its a family thing, been handed down
through the generations - we all have one. It was quite a chunky chap

when
he was given to me. Big, thick stem, sprouting out into other very

healthy
looking stems, each with big, green bulbous leaves. Sorry, none of us

know
what it is Anyway, after four weeks it just started falling to

pieces.
Woah! I thought. Can't lose plant!! I had a quick chat with my mum and

she
said it was odd, but even from a leaf they can just grow back, so I
shouldn't worry. Fair enough, I thought. So, every bit that fell off I
re-potted and for each pot I tried different tactics, you know, to try

and
figure out what I did to kill it the first time. All the little pieces
survived, but the main plan died.

Ok. Now I have 5 plants. I I want to know where I went wrong, so I give

them
all slightly different conditions:

1. Small pot, soil, little water, in the shade
2. Medium pot, soil, medium water, indirect sunlight.
3. Small pot, only water, direct sunlight.
4. Large pot, soil, lots of water, direct sunlight, baby bio.
5. Large pot, soil, see how he survives outside

A year later, they are all still alive!

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to

pieces
it was simply reproducing. I mean, after all, there are 5 of them now

and
try as I might to get the main stem to grow it steadfast refused.

Anyway, thats not the freaky part. Why did I put "plant memory" in the
subject? Well. Remember plant no. 5? He didn't do too well outside. In
fact, I totally forgot he was out there until about a month later. He'd
fallen over in the wind, soil spilt everywhere and barely a leaf left. I
picked him up, fixed the soil and brought him back with the others.

Over the next few months he made a great recovery. His stem grew

stronger
than the others, and took on a darker sort of "woody" style. I figured

he
was a tough nut now.

So, I come back today and.... he was growing sideways. Yes, thats right.

He
was upright yesterday, and today he has bent his stem 90 degrees. Its

like
he "remembered" that he fell over this time last year, and so decided to
fall over again! Probably in preparation for "the big knock".

Obviously the 4 other plants are still growing upright.

Is this "normal" plant behavior? Will I have to train "junior" to stand

Old 20-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Iris Cohen

It's true botany is botany, but I think one can use the term botanical sciences
to refer to the group of related studies, such as taxonomy, botanical
biochemistry, ethnobotany, agronomy, plant nutrition, etc. as well as botany
itself.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 20-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Cereus-validus

I'm not afraid of anything, Chuckie.

I could not care less what you think.

I don't want to be your pen pal either.

"Chuck" wrote in message
ink.net...
AT LEAST I USE MY REAL NAME. WHY ARE YOU AFRAID TO USE YOURS?

CWR

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Chuckie baby, are you saying you can't possibly be a troll because your

are
so computer inept you don't know how to do a spell check? Then all you

could
be is just a bitter old man with too much time on his hands? Yeah, I saw

panhandler on the street that said he was self-employed independent
contractor!!!

hlink.net...

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main

stem

Old 20-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Cereus-validus

That's complete nonsense with no basis at all in fact.

I've grown many many plants from seeds and cuttings and the only thing they
respond the same to is proper care, nothing more nothing less.

There is nothing supernatural about growing plants.

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to

Old 20-08-2004, 03:45 AM
Cereus-validus

There you go again, Iris, trying to be the group's mother and trying to make
everything nice and harmonious.

So you are including agricultural, horticulture, natural history and
chemistry in botany too? Not exactly the same thing are they?

Would you consider "library science" a science too? Do librarians ever use
the scientific method?

Old 20-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Chuck

You should know the answer. After all you know everything. My 12 year old
grandson says he knows everything too..But then he's only 12. Are you?

CWR

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
It's true botany is botany, but I think one can use the term botanical

sciences
to refer to the group of related studies, such as taxonomy, botanical
biochemistry, ethnobotany, agronomy, plant nutrition, etc. as well as

botany
itself.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 20-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Cereus-validus

You sure are one bitter old curmudgeon mofo, aren't you grumpy gramps? Have
you had a bowel movement this week, old timer, or are you saving it up labor
day? There is no question what you are full of!!!

ink.net...

Old 20-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Iris Cohen

So you are including agricultural, horticulture, natural history and
chemistry in botany too? Not exactly the same thing are they?

I never said they were.

Would you consider "library science" a science too? Do librarians ever use
the scientific method?

It depends on your definition of the word science.
Old 25-08-2004, 01:54 AM
Peter Jason

s******

"Chuck" wrote in message
hlink.net...
And you say you're not a troll. If not then what are you? A self

educated
jerk!

CWR

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
You sure are one bitter old curmudgeon mofo, aren't you grumpy gramps?

Have
you had a bowel movement this week, old timer, or are you saving it up

labor
day? There is no question what you are full of!!!

ink.net...

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
It's true botany is botany, but I think one can use the term

botanical
sciences
to refer to the group of related studies, such as taxonomy,

botanical
biochemistry, ethnobotany, agronomy, plant nutrition, etc. as well

as
botany
itself.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the
oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

FS: Contoured Therapeutic Memory Foam Pillow - via auction [email protected] Texas 0 18-03-2005 12:36 AM
memory Jog fuerjefe Ponds 8 15-02-2004 02:37 AM
looking for Fragrant Memory Tom Sherwood Roses 1 24-12-2003 04:44 PM
A memory of spring, and a time to rejoice for just being here madgard Gardening 2 10-03-2003 10:32 PM
Sommat I've Seen - Memory help needed Alison United Kingdom 3 04-03-2003 05:17 PM