Old 07-10-2004, 03:14 AM
Iris Cohen

Default There Must Be A Story

Does anyone know why there is an orchid genus named Entomophobia?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 07-10-2004, 01:21 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
Does anyone know why there is an orchid genus named Entomophobia?

Apparently there is no story. The protologue gives the etymology as
"fear of insects. Some characters point to an aversion to insects: the
closed flowers and the callus blocking the entrance of the stigma; the
abundance of fruits suggest self-pollination."

Old 07-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Cereus-validus

Of course there is a story behind the name, Rinkytink. There always is. You
just don't know what it is.

Just as the Orchid genus Dracula has a double meaning, of which its authors
were well aware, it would be true in this case too. Many Orchid names are
bad puns.

Iris Cohen schreef

Old 07-10-2004, 05:04 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus schreef
Of course there is a story behind the name, Rinkytink. There always is.

* * *
With some 400.000 species that would be a lot of stories!
Undoubtedly, you are willing to think up something on the spot; not that
anybody would want to read these dubious stories.

Often a name is just a name.
PvR

Old 07-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Cereus-validus

You truly have no imagination, Rinkytink.

There are indeed at least 400.000 stories to tell, one (or more) for each
species. Every single species was discovered and collected by someone,
described by someone, is related to other species, fits in somewhere in the
ecology and the environment and has other unique data and history to go with
it, etc. etc. None of them exists in a vacuum. Just because you yourself are
an inept researcher and a dullard, that doesn't mean that every single
species doesn't have its own unique story.

You may be the exception, Rinkytink, with your head up your ass. Then again,
why you are such an arrogant jerk is another story in itself!!!!

Film at 11!!!!

Old 08-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Peter Jason

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Cereus-validus schreef
Of course there is a story behind the name, Rinkytink. There always is.

* * *
With some 400.000 species that would be a lot of stories!
Undoubtedly, you are willing to think up something on the spot; not that
anybody would want to read these dubious stories.

Often a name is just a name.
PvR

Just like a cigar is just a cigar. Of course our un-serious Cerius has this
here cactus fetish, especially for the phallic priapic ones, about which no
more need be said.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Cereus-validus

Since you have nothing of value to say, Peter Puller, it is best that you
say nothing.

I was not referring to the Cactaceae only, you dim. I was referring to all
plants. They all have their own story.

Your story is that you are just a troll wannabe and nothing more. How sad
that is.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:56 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus schreef
You truly have no imagination, Rinkytink.

There are indeed at least 400.000 stories to tell, one (or more) for each

species.

***
The world is divided into those who can face facts and those who would
rather make up stories. Some of the latter group are really crazy.
PvR

Old 08-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Iris Cohen

Enough, already! I got the story, in painful detail on the orchid group. The
genus (monotypic) is indeed well-named. The flowers have several built-in
insect barriers and are apparently self-pollinated. End of story.
A lot of plants have funny names, beginning with the obsolete orchid genus Aa.
There is a story to go with each one of them.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
A lot of plants have funny names, beginning with the obsolete orchid genus

Aa.

*****
Apparently an extreme point of view
http://www.selby.org/index.php?src=g...ory=Researc h
PvR

Old 08-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Cereus-validus

You obviously never had to write an article for a newsletter or anything
else. There is always a story to tell if you research your topic well
enough.

Professional reporters manage to be able to do it every day for the
newspapers, television, magazines and books. Someone with a scientific
background should be able to do even better.

Any student of botany worth his salt should be able to research any species
well enough to write up a background story on it.

Your problem is that you lack any imagination or skill. You are both crazy
and stupid, Rinkytink.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Cereus-validus

I agree, Iris.

Every plant does indeed have its own story!

Rinkytink is just being his same old obnoxious troll self again. He's very
verbose for someone with nothing to say.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus schreef
You obviously never had to write an article for a newsletter or anything
else. There is always a story to tell if you research your topic well
enough.

***
Well, I have certainly learned to sift through newsletters and recognize the
stories where I need read only one word in twenty or one word in a hundred
to get a complete picture of what the author knows. An immense waste of
paper.
PvR

Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Cereus-validus

Considering your poor grasp of the English language, it would be more like
you only understood "only one word in twenty or one word in a hundred" and
the rest went way over your pointy head!!!

The publish or perish philosophy of many universities is another matter
altogether. Have seen many **** poor badly written papers by academics
published in scientific journals that were much ado about nothing. Many seem
to spend more time thinking up arcane jargon or cruising Roget's Thesaurus
than doing actual research.

Old 09-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Iris Cohen

Even though some orchid taxonomists have reduced Aa from a separate genus to
simply a member of Altensteinia

That is what I read some years ago.

most taxonomists accept it as a valid genus.

Nice to know that it is still there.

Some believe that it was contrived to occur first in a generic list

That's the story I read.

Other families also have unusual names, such as the wasp Lala palusa or the
clam Abra cadabara

I hadn't heard of those, but there are plenty of others.