Old 05-10-2003, 01:32 PM
DLee

Default Surely there must be alternatives...

Hi All

I watched BBC2 garden program on Friday, and after Alan Titchmarsh and then
Monty Don was presenting how to aerate lawn. The way he did it looked easy -
raking it, then shoving the fork and Yeoman's aerator into the lawn.

I tried myself on yesterday to back lawn, and it took ages, and it was very
tiring - using fork and aerator.
I wento local garden centre, and looked for an aerator - one I saw as German
Wolf Aerating Rake at £33, but it did not look promising - it looked like as
it will chew all the grass, and make mess.

Is there any other way to do this efficiently and easier way?

cheers

Dan

Old 05-10-2003, 02:02 PM
David Hill

If you have a lot of grass then you can hire machines

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-10-2003, 02:12 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , David Hill
writes
If you have a lot of grass then you can hire machines

If you have a lot of money then you can hire gardeners

--
dave @ stejonda

to reply by email send to 2003breply at stejonda freeuk com
Old 05-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

In message , David Hill
writes

If you have a lot of grass then you can hire machines

If you have a lot of money then you can hire gardeners

If you have a lot of grass and a lot of money you could hire a lot of
machines and a lot of gardeners to operate them.

Janet.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:02 PM
John Towill

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

In message , David Hill
writes

If you have a lot of grass then you can hire machines

If you have a lot of money then you can hire gardeners

If you have a lot of grass and a lot of money you could hire a lot of
machines and a lot of gardeners to operate them.

Janet.

Unfortunately if you have a lot of grass and little money you will need a
lot of time. I must be fair to Monty he did point out the labour involved,
and said it would take all day to do that strip of grass.
However I bet HE did not spend all day doing it.
Cheers
John T

Old 06-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Pam Morris

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

In message , David Hill
writes

If you have a lot of grass then you can hire machines

If you have a lot of money then you can hire gardeners

If you have a lot of grass and a lot of money you could hire a lot of
machines and a lot of gardeners to operate them.

And if you have little money - buy a pair of aerating "shoes" (less than £10
from Argos). You can entertain the neighbours & frighten the wildlife while
making a total **** of yourself "walking" up and down the garden!!!

Before you ask, I bought a pair of these for my mum at her request. She did
the "walking", I did the laughing ;-)

P.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , DLee
writes

I tried myself on yesterday to back lawn, and it took ages, and it was very
tiring - using fork and aerator.
I wento local garden centre, and looked for an aerator - one I saw as German
Wolf Aerating Rake at £33, but it did not look promising - it looked like as
it will chew all the grass, and make mess.

Is there any other way to do this efficiently and easier way?

Nope
My husband goes through this every year! NO good using a fork, you have
to have one of those things that takes a little plug of soil out as
well. We bought one a few years ago and unfortunately it now has only
two tines left (
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

Is there any other way to do this efficiently and easier way?

Nope
My husband goes through this every year! NO good using a fork, you have
to have one of those things that takes a little plug of soil out as
well. We bought one a few years ago and unfortunately it now has only
two tines left (

If you have a good ex-WD shop locally, see if they have any steel whip
ærials with graduated lengths which fit one into the next one.

These are made from spring steel and though difficult to cut, you may be
able to replace your lost tines with them.

The rest can be used for a fishing rod, dismantleable handle for a
fruit-picking net/bag, etc.

I use short sharpened sections as leather (and other materials) hole punches.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 09-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaques d'Altrades
[...]

May I suggest getting a pound or two of earthworms.