Old 25-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Iris Cohen

Default This Group

So AOL is going to discontinue newsgroups. No telling when my husband will get
the DSL running. I will miss you guys (outside of the name-calling). Would one
of you be willing to monitor a digest, perhaps through Yahoo? I have three
screen names, Pieter, Sean, and Peter Jason. I will contact you next time I
need information. Beverly, Stewart, & others, please contact me so we can keep
in touch.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen
Old 25-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
So AOL is going to discontinue newsgroups. No telling when my husband will get
the DSL running. I will miss you guys (outside of the name-calling). Would one
of you be willing to monitor a digest, perhaps through Yahoo? I have three
screen names, Pieter, Sean, and Peter Jason. I will contact you next time I
need information. Beverly, Stewart, & others, please contact me so we can keep
in touch.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Google (for instance) offer web-based access to newsgroups

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.bio.botany

So does Garden Banter

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumd...516a0207d96113
edf88bb7e6202&f=34

Depending on how tolerable you find the interfaces, and whether your
connection is metered or unmetered.

You could also get an account at news.individual.net (assuming that AOL
is discontinuing its newsserver, not forbidding NNTP traffic), or pay
for a news feed from one of the commercial news servers.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-01-2005, 05:09 AM
Cereus-validus...

Are they going to change their name to Big Brother On-line too?

Its an outright attempt to suppress free speech.

Old 26-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Gramma

If I can just add a lurkers 2 cents worth there are several free news
servers around
Many of my contacts who use AOL are going over to Forte Free Agent
I believe once you have it configured it works great. -
http://www.nethere.com/winmail/free_agent.htm

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php - read the section on " What
is Free Agent " to find out where to download the free version.

Some other places for information on this subject which might help
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/faq.html
http://www.itzalist.com/new/free-news-server.html

We use Mozilla [which is also free] on our other computer

Gramma

Old 26-01-2005, 09:44 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
So AOL is going to discontinue newsgroups. No telling when my husband will

get the DSL running. I will miss you guys (outside of the name-calling).
Would one of you be willing to monitor a digest, perhaps through Yahoo?

***
Aside from the technical aspects (it is not that hard to read the NG on the
web), how would you expect anybody to make a selection of what is important
to you?
PvR