Old 28-03-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond Van Advice

I have a pond that is 5m * 5m * (0.4m-1.5m) deep. It has turtles and fish
in it.
I am looking for a pond vac to use with this, but there seem to be so many,
with so little information.

Can anyone here recommend what they use, or advise to not buy a model for
any reason?

I am located in the UK, so model available here would be helpful.

Thanks Scott

--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 28-03-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote:

I have a pond that is 5m * 5m * (0.4m-1.5m) deep. It has turtles and fish
in it.
I am looking for a pond vac to use with this, but there seem to be so many,
with so little information.

Can anyone here recommend what they use, or advise to not buy a model for
any reason?

I am located in the UK, so model available here would be helpful.

Thanks Scott

I use a Muckvac. Works well for me. Inexpensive, too. They sell on eBay
and online. Do a Google search.

Old 28-03-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote in message
I have a pond that is 5m * 5m * (0.4m-1.5m) deep. It has turtles and fish
in it.
I am looking for a pond vac to use with this, but there seem to be so
many, with so little information.

Can anyone here recommend what they use, or advise to not buy a model for
any reason?

I am located in the UK, so model available here would be helpful.

======================
Avoid the Cyprio hand pumped vac. It's totally useless and of very poor
quality. We threw away $50. The place selling them would not take it back
so lost our business.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 05:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote in message
I have a pond that is 5m * 5m * (0.4m-1.5m) deep. It has turtles and fish
in it.
I am looking for a pond vac to use with this, but there seem to be so
many, with so little information.
I am located in the UK, so model available here would be helpful.

I'm not sure what you might call them in the UK, but here we call them shop
vacs or wet & dry vacs. One takes the pleated filter off to do straight
water. With my 12 gallon capacity I can suck up a lot of muck before it is
filled. I did the lily pond this spring 6' X 15' and it took only 4-6
tankful's. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 30-03-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 29, 12:02 am, ~ jan wrote:
"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote in message
I have a pond that is 5m * 5m * (0.4m-1.5m) deep. It has turtles and fish
in it.
I am looking for a pond vac to use with this, but there seem to be so
many, with so little information.
I am located in the UK, so model available here would be helpful.

I'm not sure what you might call them in the UK, but here we call them shop
vacs or wet & dry vacs. One takes the pleated filter off to do straight
water. With my 12 gallon capacity I can suck up a lot of muck before it is
filled. I did the lily pond this spring 6' X 15' and it took only 4-6
tankful's. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

While a bit expensive, there is a company in the UK which makes a wet
vac with a sump pump inside. While vacuuming, a float switch turns on
the sump which empties the vacuum through a 2nd hose. It vacuums and
empties itself at the same time. I have two of them (for work).

Of course, if you only needed a continuously emptying wet-vac, it's
just a water pump with 2 hoses. ;~)
~~

Old 30-03-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:03:25 CST, "NetMax"
wrote:

Of course, if you only needed a continuously emptying wet-vac, it's
just a water pump with 2 hoses. ;~)

Can we be more specific about what brand of pump will work, or at
least specifications of a pump. I thought about a well pump, but it
had pressure controls for a home water system and I'm a bit lost as to
how to get around that.

Regards,

Hal

Old 30-03-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Of course, if you only needed a continuously emptying wet-vac, it's
just a water pump with 2 hoses. ;~)

Can we be more specific about what brand of pump will work, or at
least specifications of a pump. I thought about a well pump, but it
had pressure controls for a home water system and I'm a bit lost as to
how to get around that.

Regards,

Hal

More specific....
Numatics, Somerset 01460 68480 if you wanted to go with the wet-dry
sump vacuum ;~)

The well pump pressure switch is easy to work around, but the pump
itself is not suitable. An above ground needs to be primed and the
foot valve would not suit your application, and the submersible is not
practical.

I could break the requirement into 2 components, the electric motor
and the water pump, but if you're not technically oriented, you could
alternately see what is locally available to you. Post the specs and
then perhaps someone can make some comparisons with pumps they are
using now.

Alternately, gravity drain and using your pond's pump/filters are
methods of dredging the pond, but these depend on the grade of your
property, and the types of filters being used.
~~

Old 31-03-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:14:34 CST, "NetMax"
wrote:

More specific....
Numatics, Somerset 01460 68480 if you wanted to go with the wet-dry
sump vacuum ;~)

The well pump pressure switch is easy to work around, but the pump
itself is not suitable. An above ground needs to be primed and the
foot valve would not suit your application, and the submersible is not
practical.

I could break the requirement into 2 components, the electric motor
and the water pump, but if you're not technically oriented, you could
alternately see what is locally available to you. Post the specs and
then perhaps someone can make some comparisons with pumps they are
using now.

Alternately, gravity drain and using your pond's pump/filters are
methods of dredging the pond, but these depend on the grade of your
property, and the types of filters being used.

Thanks, You've given me something to work on.

Regards,

Hal

Old 31-03-2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

KerplunKuK wrote:
I have a pond that is 5m * 5m * (0.4m-1.5m) deep. It has turtles and
fish in it.
I am looking for a pond vac to use with this, but there seem to be so
many, with so little information.

Can anyone here recommend what they use, or advise to not buy a model
for any reason?

I am located in the UK, so model available here would be helpful.

Thanks Scott

Hi Scott
Have a look at this.............
http://www.water-garden.co.uk/Pontec_PondoMatic.php

That's a new model, but I bought the earlier one last year on ebay for £88.
Goos machine
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 01-04-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In news:BoyPete Scribbled:

Hi Scott
Have a look at this.............
http://www.water-garden.co.uk/Pontec_PondoMatic.php

That's a new model, but I bought the earlier one last year on ebay
for £88. Goos machine

Thanks. Seen one of those in my local Garden Centre and was unsure due to
the cost and staff with lack of knowledge. I shall go tomorrow and have a
good look and maybe buy.
I'll report back.
Thanks
--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Purchased the Oase Pondomatic and it does a great job especially for a sub
£100 price-tag and a 2 year warranty.
Can't recommend highly enough.
--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

KerplunKuK wrote:
Purchased the Oase Pondomatic and it does a great job especially for
a sub £100 price-tag and a 2 year warranty.
Can't recommend highly enough.

Glad you're sorted
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 28, 9:02 pm, ~ jan wrote:
I'm not sure what you might call them in the UK, but here we call them shop
vacs or wet & dry vacs. One takes the pleated filter off to do straight
water. With my 12 gallon capacity I can suck up a lot of muck before it is
filled. I did the lily pond this spring 6' X 15' and it took only 4-6
tankful's. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

I have the muckvac -- the thing that is sort of water powered. It did
okay but seemed to take a lot of water to do a simple job. I like the
wet vac idea but have not tried it yet -- but I soon will if I find a
long enough rigid hose. Check out my first attempt at a pond at
www.marlia.com

Old 13-04-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I've been wondering what a pond van is and whether it hasfuzzy dice or not.
"BoyPete" wrote in message
KerplunKuK wrote:
Purchased the Oase Pondomatic and it does a great job especially for
a sub £100 price-tag and a 2 year warranty.
Can't recommend highly enough.

Glad you're sorted
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Good sale prices for some bulbs and perenniala (Van Dyke) Zemedelec Gardening 0 14-11-2004 02:23 AM
Glorie van Heemstede Dahlia John Lloyd United Kingdom 3 18-02-2004 11:15 PM
Theo van Daele Judy Ponds 0 19-07-2003 04:22 PM
Theo van Daele Theo van Daele Ponds 0 17-07-2003 09:52 AM
Rip Van Winkle Daffodils Shelly Gardening 4 16-04-2003 11:32 PM