Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hello

Hello, I'm a newbie to this group after a few weeks of lurking..

We are currently building a new pond in the garden as my 1 Koi has
outgrown the 'puddle' .

The construction can be seen at
http://community.webshots.com/user/orchidlover05 under the album
'the pond'.

The size is approx 13ft x 11ft and 3ft deep at it's maximum. Most of
the plants that will be in it are coming from the 'puddle' and a small
barrel pond we have for the birds.

we are at the stage of building the waterfall and having lots of
'design meetings' ( or arguements), but I'll get what I want
eventually.

My question is I know you should let a new pond settle for a few weeks
before adding livestock but a friend is fillling in his and giving us
the 30+ goldfish this week. Is there anything i can do to ease the
transition or do i just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for
the best

orchidlover

Old 08-04-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

try to get the temperature as close to the temp of his pond. it is a common
problem that indoor fish (altho these GF are in an outdoor pond) are dumped
into cold water outdoors. rule of thumb is no more than 4oF per day drop in
temp. warmer is fine tho.

it is also a problem when people come home to find something has drained
their pond, pump on bottom of pond, high wind and a fountain of some kind,
bad leak... and people immediately start running cold water into the pond to
refill and the fish come down with ich and that leads to other stress, other
cooties. I have one faucet with hot and cold taps where I can connect a
garden hose for refilling the pond.

this size pond should be able to support the GF until it is completely
cycled. put a bucket filter or a gravity filter with pea gravel on it to
help http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...AVITY%20FILTER

before the fish go into the new pond, do a quick salt dip on them.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...tm#SALT%20DIPS
make sure there is 0.1% salt in the pond, or around 0.9 lbs per 100 gallons.

dont feed the fish for two weeks, this will cut down on wastes. then only
feed something like freeze dried krill or daphnia for another week. of
course, keep checking for ammonia, nitrites.

Ingrid

ups.com...

Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Went to look at the pictures ~ I love the
playhouse in the back. Waterfront property!

k :-)

Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 8, 2:05 pm, "kthirtya" wrote:
Went to look at the pictures ~ I love the
playhouse in the back. Waterfront property!

k :-)

Nice pictures of the process of making the pond. Jim loved that.

Phyllis

Old 08-04-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 06:23:03 CST, "orchidlover"
wrote:

The construction can be seen at
http://community.webshots.com/user/orchidlover05 under the album
'the pond'.

The size is approx 13ft x 11ft and 3ft deep at it's maximum. Most of
the plants that will be in it are coming from the 'puddle' and a small
barrel pond we have for the birds.

My question is I know you should let a new pond settle for a few weeks
before adding livestock but a friend is fillling in his and giving us
the 30+ goldfish this week. Is there anything i can do to ease the
transition or do i just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for
the best orchidlover

Love the backyard/pond. :-)

I'm not quite as optimistic as Ingrid/Solo. I'm afraid those 30 goldfish
are going to give you a green pond right quick. My suggestion would be
chose the best 6, and take the rest to the pet store, and tell him not to
feed them until you can pick them up. Definitely follow that advice, don't
feed!

What are your plans for filtration? You might want to read about my 1st
pond experiences. www.jjspond.us Click on My Filter. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Hello??? KnotHead Lawns 2 31-03-2003 04:32 PM
[IBC] Hello from Japan (and some questions) Becca Ridout Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 AM
[IBC] Hello Again Craig Cowing Bonsai 3 15-02-2003 03:15 AM
[IBC] Hello & Ficus Benjamina Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 29-01-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] Hello & Ficus Benjimina Richard Jeffery Bonsai 0 29-01-2003 01:42 AM