Old 09-04-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Anti-Frog People Strike Again

This spring I've been vigilant about keeping the population down to no
more
than 2-3 frogs before I go out and catch them. These neighbors have been
gone most of spring break and knowing they would return today I caught all
but 1 last night. During the night at least 1 or 2 joined it, which I'll
catch tonight. Unfortunately my compromise isn't working. One of the frogs
decided to croak during the day and I got "the complaint" e-mail. I was
sent:

"Once again the noise level is such that it
is affecting my ability to sleep at night and to relax
during the day and evening."

And they HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN THERE!!! And only ONE frog was croaking!!! Not
whole chorus. And that is SO abnormal for them to croak during the day
anyway.

Needless to say, I no longer find the joy in my frogs thanks to these
sh*tty neighbors, so I guess it will be no more frogs for me, if I can
prevent them. :-( ~ jan

I find it really hard to believe you net all your frogs and relocate them on
an ongoing basis just to appease your snooty neighbours. Have you asked the
police or wildlife people if you have any rights in this regard , or has
this already been visited by you or your 'neighbour'. As far as keeping the
peace with them, I doubt that's possible. After they get their way on this,
they will be bolder with the next complaint
BTW - Didn't your son or sons have a band at one time - how did the
neighbour deal with that??
Gale :~)

Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

That was me, Gale, that hosted a band for
three years. My neighbors are all saintly, they
have no problem with tree frogs, renegade
bullfrogs and hordes of teenagers.
We did soundproof the familyroom windows
and that helped a lot. We also handed out
free cds from the boys and when the newspaper
came to interview them we praised our neighbors
in print. The band is scattered to colleges from
NY to Arizona now and we miss them. But we don't
miss the noise!

k :-)

Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Anti-Frog People Strike Again (going OT)

That was me, Gale, that hosted a band for
three years. My neighbors are all saintly, they
have no problem with tree frogs, renegade
bullfrogs and hordes of teenagers.
We did soundproof the familyroom windows
and that helped a lot. We also handed out
free cds from the boys and when the newspaper
came to interview them we praised our neighbors
in print. The band is scattered to colleges from
NY to Arizona now and we miss them. But we don't
miss the noise!

I must be losing it - I thought one of Jan's sons was in a band - I knew you
talked about it and assumed it was the same band
Anywho - You did a very good job of pre-emptive damage control (probably a
little late for Jan)
Gale :~)

Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:14:13 CST, "G Pearce"
wrote:

Anywho - You did a very good job of pre-emptive damage control (probably a
little late for Jan)
Gale :~)

Yea, it is a little hard to sound proof an outdoor pond. Trust me, if I
could, I would. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:35:32 CST, "G Pearce"
wrote:

I find it really hard to believe you net all your frogs and relocate them on
an ongoing basis just to appease your snooty neighbours. Have you asked the
police or wildlife people if you have any rights in this regard , or has
this already been visited by you or your 'neighbour'.

Yes, before ever talking to us, even anomalously they went straight to the
city attorney and I got "the letter" regarding my "pets". I called the city
attorney's office and they laughed. Said that the complaint was a first.
Unfortunately the letter, detailing fines,etc. was nothing, imo, to laugh
at. At the time I thought it was new neighbors across the way, but it is
now obvious who has the problem. If I don't do something about it, I could
be fined and even told to fill in the pond as it could be considered as
harboring a nuisance animal. If I was an activist I could probably take
this all public and make a laughing stock out of my neighbors, but one
never knows.... and I'm not willing to risk it.

As far as keeping the peace with them, I doubt that's possible. After they get their way on this,
they will be bolder with the next complaint.

We've already removed a tree for them, it was dropping little olives on
their truck, even though he has a huge driveway and could have parked it
elsewhere. Then 2-3 months later he sold it! Now a gosh-ugly trailer,
always filled with junk is parked in the same location. :-( I'm half
tempted to replant another tree.

BTW - Didn't your son or sons have a band at one time - how did the
neighbour deal with that??

Naaa, that was Kathy's. But if I win the lottery, I may sell cheap to the
right LARGE MUSICALLY INCLINED family, must have LOTS of teenagers with
noisy cars, etc. In the meantime, we do have one nasty noisy macho chipper
we could start up. DH has a BIG maple to take down, so it should be running
lots this spring/summer. beg About the time they complain about that, to
my husband, well that should be interesting indeed. Since the tree & frogs
were my soft spot. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I am interested that wild frogs are considered your pets...in eco
friendly WA no less. They are wild animals that come and go at their
own initiative. It is hard for a city to ban wild animals. I guess,
however, that your pond is an attractant. I infer from your post that
the city attorney laughed but said the ordinance could in fact be
implemented against you. Bummer. Our toads would surely be the
problem here, if someone were to complain. The tree frogs are
peaceful compared to 'crickets on speed'.

Jim

Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:28:33 CST, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:

I am interested that wild frogs are considered your pets...in eco
friendly WA no less. They are wild animals that come and go at their
own initiative. It is hard for a city to ban wild animals. I guess,
however, that your pond is an attractant. I infer from your post that
the city attorney laughed but said the ordinance could in fact be
implemented against you. Bummer. Our toads would surely be the
problem here, if someone were to complain. The tree frogs are
peaceful compared to 'crickets on speed'.Jim

Yes, the city would implement, though she said that since the frogs were
seasonal, but the time they got to the point of even thinking of a fine,
the problem would be gone. Another thing I'm not willing to risk.

As of today I've put the small short sided stock tank down by the koi ponds
on the other side of my house and plan to turn one of the male loose there,
hoping he'll stay and not travel back up to the lily pond. I'll also put
eggs in it to start a group that will hopefully returned there. I just
can't be happy without frogs in my yard. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: