Old 13-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] spider mites strike again

Spider mites have gotten my best tree, a nice shohin sized juniper. I'm
going to hold onto it for awhile, but I'm not holding out much hope.
Everything is becoming crispy and there's no new growth.

This is the second time this has happened to me, at the same time of
year. Several years ago I lost a juniper the same way, although at the
time I didn't know it was spider mites. Is it a good idea to treat the
tree before I put it into winter storage? I'm wondering if the mites
winter over in the tree?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Pauline Muth

When you are putting your trees away try washing the tree , pot and soil and
all in a soap solution such as Concern or Safer.
I set up a large plastic container full of the stuff when I am ready to
store my bonsai and dip all my bonsai and stock before
storing. When I bring them out , I do it again. Works for me up here in
Zone 4.
PS Just finished putting out my winter stored stuff yesterday....happy
spring!!!
Pauline F Muth Zone 4 West Charlton NY USA
www.pfmbonsai.com

Spider mites have gotten my best tree, a nice shohin sized juniper. I'm
going to hold onto it for awhile, but I'm not holding out much hope.
Everything is becoming crispy and there's no new growth.

This is the second time this has happened to me, at the same time of
year. Several years ago I lost a juniper the same way, although at the
time I didn't know it was spider mites. Is it a good idea to treat the
tree before I put it into winter storage? I'm wondering if the mites
winter over in the tree?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Nina

Craig Cowing wrote:
Is it a good idea to treat the
tree before I put it into winter storage? I'm wondering if the mites
winter over in the tree?

Mites overwinter as eggs or as adult females in soil and leaf litter.
The mite on juniper overwinters as eggs. My references say they begin
to be a problem in May, and are worst in hot dry weather, but I don't
know how you overwinter your bonsai: if you have them in a place where
they may get unseasonably warm, the mites would hatch and become active
earlier: it takes 10 days for the life-cycle to be completed, so in a
few weeks you can have a serious outbreak.

I'd recommend an insecticidal oil in late winter. That would smother
the eggs.

Nina

Old 13-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Craig Cowing

On Apr 13, 2005, at 8:50 AM, Nina wrote:

Craig Cowing wrote:
Is it a good idea to treat the
tree before I put it into winter storage? I'm wondering if the mites
winter over in the tree?

Mites overwinter as eggs or as adult females in soil and leaf litter.
The mite on juniper overwinters as eggs. My references say they begin
to be a problem in May, and are worst in hot dry weather, but I don't
know how you overwinter your bonsai: if you have them in a place where
they may get unseasonably warm, the mites would hatch and become active
earlier: it takes 10 days for the life-cycle to be completed, so in a
few weeks you can have a serious outbreak.

I'd recommend an insecticidal oil in late winter. That would smother
the eggs.

Nina

Bill Valvanis emailed me privately and suggested it may be a problem
with dryness, which I suppose it could be although I put it away
watered and have been watering since it's been out.

This morning I took it out of its bonsai pot and put it in a terracotta
azalea pot. No root pruning, just transferred it into a somewhat larger
pot and added fresh soil to make up the difference. I carefully brushed
off as much of the crispy foliage as I could and found there appears to
be some live foliage still, so I thought this might help get light and
ventilation to the little that's left. I now have the tree in partial
shade, with some morning sun. Is there any more I can do besides wait?

Old 13-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Jim Lewis

Bill Valvanis emailed me privately and suggested it may be a problem
with dryness, which I suppose it could be although I put it away
watered and have been watering since it's been out.

This morning I took it out of its bonsai pot and put it in a terracotta
azalea pot. No root pruning, just transferred it into a somewhat larger
pot and added fresh soil to make up the difference. I carefully brushed
off as much of the crispy foliage as I could and found there appears to
be some live foliage still, so I thought this might help get light and
ventilation to the little that's left. I now have the tree in partial
shade, with some morning sun. Is there any more I can do besides wait?

I was wondering, because it doesn't _sound_ like how spider
mites work. Have you FOUND any? The ol' white paper test?

You say you "put it away watered." Do I infer from that that
there was no additional water all winter? Dormant trees --
especially dormant trees with evergreen foliage -- do not
completely stop respiring in their "off season." Respiration
will pull water from the soil (if it can).

And if the soil feezes, the freeze further dries out the soil in
addition to the fact that the tree can't pull water from frozen
soil.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who has
never seen a spider mite (knock on wood!)

Old 13-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Craig Cowing

On Apr 13, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

I was wondering, because it doesn't _sound_ like how spider
mites work. Have you FOUND any? The ol' white paper test?

Hadn't found any. I didn't think that lack of water was the issue, so
spider mites was all I could think of. Plus, Professor Anita seemed to
think it might be that too. And who am I to question her?

You say you "put it away watered." Do I infer from that that
there was no additional water all winter?

It's rather difficult to water trees when they're buried under snow. ;0)
Dormant trees --
especially dormant trees with evergreen foliage -- do not
completely stop respiring in their "off season." Respiration
will pull water from the soil (if it can).

I had all of them mulched under leaves, the same method I've done since
I started doing bonsai. Strange thing is that all my other junipers,
treated the same way and stored in the same area, are fine.
And if the soil feezes, the freeze further dries out the soil in
addition to the fact that the tree can't pull water from frozen
soil.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who has
never seen a spider mite (knock on wood!)

Very true, although you would think that the mulch would keep the
moisture in. It was certainly wet when I took them out. It's possible
that it dried out after being taken out, although I watered regularly.

I"m just going to have to wait and see at this point.

Old 13-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Brent Walston

Craig Cowing wrote:

On Apr 13, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

I was wondering, because it doesn't _sound_ like how spider
mites work. Have you FOUND any? The ol' white paper test?

Hadn't found any. I didn't think that lack of water was the issue, so
spider mites was all I could think of. Plus, Professor Anita seemed to
think it might be that too. And who am I to question her?

Craig

Glad this bit came out. This doesn't sound like spider mites to me (see
the article at my website http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/mites.htm )

The earliest I have encountered mites out here is in early April (zone
8), and that kind of damage isn't evident until May or later. That
means, this kind of severe damage had to occur BEFORE you stored them,
OR something else is the culprit. If that degree of damage occurred
during or after storage you would certainly find mites, eggs, and
debris. Also, you don't normally find mite damage on just ONE plant. If
they are there and causing visible damage, then you are going to find at
least a few on the other vulnerable species and specimen.

Brent
Evergreen Gardenworks.com

Old 13-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Carl Rosner

Craig and all:
From what you have described, I ran into a similart problems with Four Fukien Teas (crispy leaves), and I placed them in an enclosed Plastic Bag. (I constructed a more durable ICU).

I removed the leaves and one tree died. The other three I left alone, placed them in the ICU and all three have recovered. Every day I opened the ICU for at least 15 minutes to give the change of air. Of course, these trees, were in doors, but I have used the same system (my ICU) on some of my out door trees with good results.

Best regards,
Carl L Rosner

Craig Cowing wrote:
[...]

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net