Old 17-04-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default turtle in a koi pond

You have been spared the singing of the Fowler's toads! Have you any
other amphibians? I wonder if the presence of the turtle affected the
toads.

Jim

Old 17-04-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I went to visit your page. Nice. The turtles are BIG. And there are
a lot of gf. How do you keep it clear?

Jim

Old 17-04-2007, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jan and I both learned, when we built ponds that
*didn't* have big fish in them, that our native tree
frogs will not enter a pond where they might be
eaten! Smart little hoppers. Maybe the toads are
worried.

k :-)

Old 17-04-2007, 07:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:20:21 CST, "kthirtya" wrote:

Jan and I both learned, when we built ponds that
*didn't* have big fish in them, that our native tree
frogs will not enter a pond where they might be
eaten! Smart little hoppers. Maybe the toads are
worried.

k :-)

And you know, I always thought that was silly because my big koi never gave
a second look at a little old frog swimming thru. Then I turned a couple
loose at the Demo Pond and was shocked that one of the goldfish tried to
suck one down. Luckily the gf wasn't near big enough, and finally had to
spit it out. He then swam to safe place. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-04-2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It's quite simple. I don't take pictures to put on the web page when
it's murky ;P. I get more than my fair share of algae most of the
summer here in hot & sunny southern Arizona, though I'm having good luck
with my combo Skippy/veggie filter. I'm thinking of adding another one
since the turtles and fish aren't kind to the floating plants in the pond.
Gabrielle

Old 21-04-2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I don't know why he thinks I'm ornery... couldn't be because I still
boss him around, could it?
Gabrielle

kthirtya wrote:

Hi Gabrielle,

I went to look at your turtle pond and then I got
lost in all your pages. Say 'hi' to Hop! I, too, am
an ornery woman. At times.
k :-)

Old 23-04-2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In .com, on 04/16/07
at 05:21 PM, "Phyllis and Jim" said:

You have been spared the singing of the Fowler's toads! Have you any
other amphibians? I wonder if the presence of the turtle affected the
toads.

We should just have the basic American toads hereabouts, but I've never
had them, nor any other amphibian, come to the pond to do the nasty. The
turtle wouldn't have bothered any that did come - painted turtles aren't
frog or toad eaters.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 23-04-2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In . com, on 04/16/07
at 07:20 PM, "kthirtya" said:

Jan and I both learned, when we built ponds that
*didn't* have big fish in them, that our native tree
frogs will not enter a pond where they might be
eaten! Smart little hoppers. Maybe the toads are
worried.

Toad tadpoles taste bad (their skin contains the same poison adult toads'
warts do.) Fish quickly learn not to eat the little black squigglers
after spitting a few out.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Photos of my Turtle Island (RES in a koi pond) Dan Robinson Ponds (moderated) 13 21-07-2007 03:22 PM
Turtle Pond KerplunKuK Ponds 0 08-03-2004 07:36 PM
Turtle pond KerplunKuK Ponds (alternative) 0 08-03-2004 07:17 PM
koi and plants? depends on the pond size.... and the koi's diet... adavisus Ponds 3 07-08-2003 08:22 AM
Filterless Turtle Pond? Sue Alexandre Ponds 9 21-05-2003 07:08 PM