Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The art of digging a hole

I need to bury two large barrels (36x24) below the ground, but I can't do
too much collateral damage while digging the hole. I was thinking about
using a post hole digger to try and keep the sides as straight as possible.
The soil is hard clay below 1', so I don't expect too much slippage, but
there will be some.

Any brighter ideas?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Bill Stock" wrote:

I need to bury two large barrels (36x24) below the ground, but I can't do
too much collateral damage while digging the hole. I was thinking about
using a post hole digger to try and keep the sides as straight as possible.
The soil is hard clay below 1', so I don't expect too much slippage, but
there will be some.

Any brighter ideas?

I would rent a small backhoe. I used one to dig my pond. It was able to get
through a 5' side yard and dug like crazy. Plus, it fed my testosterone
habit

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:21:31 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I need to bury two large barrels (36x24) below the ground, but I can't do
too much collateral damage while digging the hole. I was thinking about
using a post hole digger to try and keep the sides as straight as possible.
The soil is hard clay below 1', so I don't expect too much slippage, but
there will be some.

Any brighter ideas?

If SD Joe's idea doesn't work for you, my guys have this special ditching
shovel, http://www.ames.com/Resources/Shovels_1.pdf 3rd picture as you
scroll down shovel H or I. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-06-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I need to bury two large barrels (36x24) below the ground, but I can't do
too much collateral damage while digging the hole. I was thinking about
using a post hole digger to try and keep the sides as straight as possible.
The soil is hard clay below 1', so I don't expect too much slippage, but
there will be some.

Any brighter ideas?

Take your time if you do it by hand. I took several days digging a
hole for three barrels, over 6' long and 2' wide allowing me to get
into the hole with a mattock for loosening the clay. You mention
slippage, I don't have permafrost here and didn't have any
shifting/slippage after filling. Four inch PVC pipe and bulkheads
that connect the barrels probably helped, since they are pretty
stout.

Regards,

Hal

Old 13-06-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Hal.

I just finished digging out a tree (10" double stump) and digging the hole
for my new shed. So sadly, digging is my life this summer.

I was considering putting the barrels in the shed, but it's no where close
to the pond and I want it gravity fed so I can put the pump after the
filter.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Digging a fence panel post hole mo[_2_] United Kingdom 19 13-06-2009 07:49 AM
Need Help w/ Post Hole Digging Clay Soil Billy Gardening 6 18-02-2009 12:37 PM
Hole in Ice - Canada Joel Ponds 15 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
Pond Hole Dug!!! Yahoo!!! BenignVanilla Ponds 21 02-04-2003 03:08 PM
Hole in Ice - Canada Joel Ponds (alternative) 12 14-02-2003 10:03 PM