Old 30-06-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default DIY bead filter

Anybody built one? Not a lot of sites still working that talk about
them, in fact I only found two, this one is pretty old:
http://tinyurl.com/24egq
I like this idea because it has a removable lid, making it easier to
clean if it were needed. One question that arises about this drawing
is why have a waste dump and a bottom drain? Couldn't one simply use
the bottom drain to flush the filter beads and dump waste?

The Larry Lunsford DIY bead filter has the advantage of being shorter
and a bit easier to hide in my situation, but seems a more difficult
to clean since it is on the side instead of resting on the bottom of
the barrel.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~larry_l/diy_bead.htm

I'm not familiar with these, but Ingrid says they have been known to
go anaerobic. I suppose that means they begin to produce hydrogen
sulfide, or other nasty stuff. I don't doubt this has been a problem
and I think any filter could if proper water circulation was denied
the aerobic bacteria. I wonder about the complex designs of some
beads and think perhaps the simple bead would work better with less
water flow, unless churned inside the barrel or subjected to greater
water flow or turbulence from air, like the Nexus filter uses.

I'm considering building one and place it between my present filter
barrels and the plant pond, which I need to rework in the next couple
years, before it falls apart. Anyone with experience could be helpful
and ideas are welcome.

Regards,

Hal

Old 01-07-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I made a very decent filter from a five gallon bucket, lava rock and
filter foam. Worked very nicely for what it was. Minimal investment in
time and money...

Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:35:36 CST, rmx256 wrote:

I made a very decent filter from a five gallon bucket, lava rock and
filter foam. Worked very nicely for what it was. Minimal investment in
time and money...

I have a bucket filter in the goldfish pond too, but I have an itch
to try a bead filter for a larger 1500 gal pond. My present filters
in that pond are mat type and I have to take the mat out of the barrel
to clean it. I'd like one I can backwash.

Regards,

Hal

Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Hal" wrote:

[...]

Hi Hal,

I asked a similar question a bit ago. The plans for both seem fairly simple
and straight forward. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy one or not.
The DIY one's don't seem to require much investment, but I worry that they
may not work effectively, either in filtering or backwashing. Anyway, I'm
still investigating.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:26:36 CST, San Diego Joe
wrote:

Hi Hal,

I asked a similar question a bit ago. The plans for both seem fairly simple
and straight forward. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy one or not.
The DIY one's don't seem to require much investment, but I worry that they
may not work effectively, either in filtering or backwashing. Anyway, I'm
still investigating.

I guess you are the one who got me started looking.

I have the same problems, however the ready made with similar size and
function would cost at least $1000 or more, above the cost of my
making one.

I've seen a Nexus set up and working and if I were looking for a high
dollar filter for high dollar fish that is what I would consider. It
uses air bubbles to agitate the beads, most of the others I've looked
at use backwash.

Regards,

Hal

Rate This Thread: