Old 14-07-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Photos of My Pond (Was: Cleaned Out By A Heron)

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:42:16 CST, "Martin Harran"
wrote:

http://public.fotki.com/Martin-Harran/my-pond/

Didn't have time to tidy up around it before I took the photos

That is very pretty.

You could put a motion sprinkler right next to the bridge. Or maybe to the
right in the greenery? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-07-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I love the bridge and the park bench.
Very nice spot you have there.

k :-)

Old 14-07-2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love the bridge and the park bench.
Very nice spot you have there.

It's lovely in the evening getting towrads dusk, it's a very quite spot and
I can just sit and listen to the gentle splashing of the waterfall.

I'm actually quite pround of it as I made it all myself

Old 14-07-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Cleaned Out By A Heron :(

"Martin Harran" wrote in message
Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron
cleaned
it out last week

(brevity snip)
=========================
If it wasn't for the bird netting over our ponds we wouldn't have one fish
left. We not only have herons but kingfishers, huge bullfrogs, snakes and
snapper turtles to clean us out.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-07-2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Photos of My Pond

Martin Harran wrote:
http://public.fotki.com/Martin-Harran/my-pond/

Didn't have time to tidy up around it before I took the photos

Lovely. The bench and bridge really look at home. One feature I plan
for my pool to pond conversion is an island deck w/benches. The
stringer timbers will span 18' and w/planking form a flat 3' wide
bridge. In the center of the bridge I will build a 10' dia octagon
island out of decking. This will have a propane fire pit in the center
and built-in benches along two edges. To help support the weight and
cut down on the expensive timbers, I will have 2" galvanized steel
pipe(s) to the pond floor under the island.

Hope it looks as nice as yours.

Chip

Old 15-07-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 14, 4:52 pm, Chip wrote:
Martin Harran wrote:
http://public.fotki.com/Martin-Harran/my-pond/

Didn't have time to tidy up around it before I took the photos

Lovely. The bench and bridge really look at home. One feature I plan
for my pool to pond conversion is an island deck w/benches. The
stringer timbers will span 18' and w/planking form a flat 3' wide
bridge. In the center of the bridge I will build a 10' dia octagon
island out of decking. This will have a propane fire pit in the center
and built-in benches along two edges. To help support the weight and
cut down on the expensive timbers, I will have 2" galvanized steel
pipe(s) to the pond floor under the island.

Hope it looks as nice as yours.

Chip

It's very charming. I would think that as you sit out there in the
evening, you forget the real world.
Deb

Old 15-07-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

k wrote:

where herons cant wade in they can fly in and float like other water
birds.

Just goes to prove that animals are impervious to embarrassment.

LOL. I've never seen a heron do that - of course, I've never had the
opportunity to watch them as much as I can here, where they can always
wade.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 15-07-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:15:38 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

I've never seen a heron do that - of course, I've never had the
opportunity to watch them as much as I can here, where they can always
wade.

I've only heard of a heron flying into a pond and floating once. After it
hit the water, the last thing on its mind was fishing, it was looking for a
way to get out of its predicament of being in a straight sided pond.

I suspecting floating while fishing is best down with a boat. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-07-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article . com,
thistletoes wrote:

On Jul 14, 4:52 pm, Chip wrote:
Martin Harran wrote:
http://public.fotki.com/Martin-Harran/my-pond/

Didn't have time to tidy up around it before I took the photos

Lovely. The bench and bridge really look at home. One feature I plan
for my pool to pond conversion is an island deck w/benches. The
stringer timbers will span 18' and w/planking form a flat 3' wide
bridge. In the center of the bridge I will build a 10' dia octagon
island out of decking. This will have a propane fire pit in the center
and built-in benches along two edges. To help support the weight and
cut down on the expensive timbers, I will have 2" galvanized steel
pipe(s) to the pond floor under the island.

Hope it looks as nice as yours.

Chip

It's very charming. I would think that as you sit out there in the
evening, you forget the real world.
Deb

My pond is the real world. :-)

Old 16-07-2007, 09:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:15:52 CST, k wrote:

where herons cant wade in they can fly in and float like other water
birds.

Just goes to prove that animals are
impervious to embarrassment.

k :-)

If you ever get an opportunity to watch herons mate, you'll be even
more sure of that.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 29-08-2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Martin,

Your pond looks wonderful. I like the lush greenery! Our house is
planted with more woodsy and lush plantings rather than more formal
ones.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Cleaned out the Filter Falls Yesterday JB[_1_] Ponds (moderated) 7 27-04-2008 03:01 PM
My daughter cleaned the pond with dishwashing soap mark Bannister Ponds 22 13-04-2005 05:18 PM
Cleaned out a pond WVNebJockey Ponds 2 13-04-2005 03:02 PM
Cleaned pond bk Ponds 3 10-01-2004 02:33 PM
Cleaned pond bk Ponds 1 09-01-2004 10:01 PM