Old 11-07-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Cleaned Out By A Heron :(

Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron cleaned
it out last week

Anyway, I've had a problem with murky water last few years, all tests
showing it ok* and no problem with sick or dying fish, I've put it down to a
probable combination of the pond getting too much sun and too few plants
for the number of fish.

I put in some extra plants last year and I'm wondering if I should now leave
the pond for a year with no fish to get rid of the murkiness in the water.
Any opinions on this?

(*I have a UV filtering system and there's a waterfall in the pond which
obviously helps the oxygenation)

Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What a bummer. I am sorry for the losses.

On the murky water, is it particles, mud, algae? Do you have a
mechanical filter of some kind? A veggie filter serves that purpose as
well as grabbing nutrients and providing bacterial surface.

Jim

Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Martin Harran" wrote:
[ . . . ]

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your fish, Martin. 24 fish! Where
were you? Had you taken any steps to protect your pond from predatory
birds? If you had enough vegetation, some of the fish might still be hiding
under it. I had one goldfish that hid for several years. Get some garden
sunscreen at HD or wherever. I found it to be great for reducing the
sunlight and keeping the pond temperature lower. Do you ever clean your UV?

~Semper Fi~

Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

if you saw the fish before but arent seeing them now it could be you
had a visitor and the fish are hiding. OTOH, if those 24 fish were in
a shallow, less than 200 gallon pond, most might be gone.
you need to build a good veggie filter to clean up the pond. Ingrid

Old 13-07-2007, 05:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article , "Martin Harran" wrote:
Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron cleaned
it out last week

Anyway, I've had a problem with murky water last few years, all tests
showing it ok* and no problem with sick or dying fish, I've put it down to a
probable combination of the pond getting too much sun and too few plants
for the number of fish.

I put in some extra plants last year and I'm wondering if I should now leave
the pond for a year with no fish to get rid of the murkiness in the water.
Any opinions on this?

(*I have a UV filtering system and there's a waterfall in the pond which
obviously helps the oxygenation)

I had a visit from a Heron last year and it ate quite a few of my fish.I
thought it had eaten them all, but some were hiding and didn`t show themselves
for a couple of weeks.I even had a decoy Heron in my pond ,but that obviously
didn`t work. Rick

Old 13-07-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Martin Harran" wrote:
[ . . . ]

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your fish, Martin. 24 fish!

Where
were you?

Don't know how long it would take a heron to catch/eat 24 fish - goldfish,
shebunkins, commets and golden orfes - but he may have been there for a
while

Had you taken any steps to protect your pond from predatory
birds?

My pond is 2' deep which I was told a heron wouldn't wade in and water is
usually about 10" below surrounding rocks. There's a shallow ledge at one
side where I got a heron a couple of years ago - only lost about 3 fish that
time - so I put a board across that to keep them out and have had no trouble
since then until now.

We've had a *lot* of rain here (Ireland) recently so my pond is a bit higher
than usual - about 6" below surrounding rocks so I suspect it was feeding
from rocks.

If you had enough vegetation, some of the fish might still be hiding
under it. I had one goldfish that hid for several years.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Get some garden
sunscreen at HD or wherever. I found it to be great for reducing the
sunlight and keeping the pond temperature lower.

The pond is in a very natural setting - I'll take a photo at the weekend
(if the rain stops!) and post it to tinypic - and I don't really want to
spoil that appearance.

Do you ever clean your UV?

Every year.

Old 13-07-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Rick Yerke" wrote in message
In article , "Martin Harran"
wrote:
[...]

That's encouraging. My fish varied from Golden Orfe's about 8" to young
goldfish about 1 1/2 "" so I was kinda surprised that it ate them all;
fingers crossed that some of them may be hiding.

Old 13-07-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
What a bummer. I am sorry for the losses.

On the murky water, is it particles, mud, algae? Do you have a
mechanical filter of some kind? A veggie filter serves that purpose as
well as grabbing nutrients and providing bacterial surface.

I have full Cyprio filtartaion system including UV lamp. Pond is about 1200
(uk) gallons BTW, upper pond 200 gals feeding over waterfall into 800 gal
main pond where the fish are.

I've changed water and tried barley straw and various chemical cleaners to
no avail; also took water sample to local aquatic centre and they found
water well balanced and fish are - were - doing really well in it.

The problem started about 3 years ago when I removed some plants that had
got a bit bedraggled plus put a few extra fish in so that's why I'm thinking
too many fish, not enough plants plus too much sunlight.

Old 13-07-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Martin Harran" wrote in message

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
What a bummer. I am sorry for the losses.

On the murky water, is it particles, mud, algae? Do you have a
mechanical filter of some kind? A veggie filter serves that purpose as
well as grabbing nutrients and providing bacterial surface.

I have full Cyprio filtartaion system including UV lamp. Pond is about
1200 (uk) gallons BTW, upper pond 200 gals feeding over waterfall into 800
gal main pond where the fish are.

Should be feeding intoo 1000 gal main pond.

Old 14-07-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Martin,

We will all look forward to your pic and to hearing about the fish.
It would seem unusual for the heron to take all of them.

I suspect you are right...too much fish waste with too little plant
life. The heron may have changed one part of the equation! You can
change the other.

Good luck.

Jim

Old 14-07-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Martin Harran" wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
I have full Cyprio filtartaion system including UV lamp.

Also, you might be running your water through the UV too fast. I found that
bypassing the UV with half the water,gsve me a clearer pond than running it
all through the UV.

~Semper Fi~

Old 14-07-2007, 06:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 13, 8:51 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Hi Martin,

We will all look forward to your pic and to hearing about the fish.
It would seem unusual for the heron to take all of them.

I suspect you are right...too much fish waste with too little plant
life. The heron may have changed one part of the equation! You can
change the other.

Good luck.

Jim

Could it have been a raccoon? They are known to clean out a pond
pretty quickly
Deb

Old 14-07-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

where herons cant wade in they can fly in and float like other water
birds. they dont care if there is another heron in the pond either.
Ingrid

Old 14-07-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

where herons cant wade in they can fly in and float like other water
birds.

Just goes to prove that animals are
impervious to embarrassment.

k :-)

Old 14-07-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Photos of My Pond (Was: Cleaned Out By A Heron)

http://public.fotki.com/Martin-Harran/my-pond/

Didn't have time to tidy up around it before I took the photos

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Cleaned out the Filter Falls Yesterday JB[_1_] Ponds (moderated) 7 27-04-2008 03:01 PM
My daughter cleaned the pond with dishwashing soap mark Bannister Ponds 22 13-04-2005 05:18 PM
Cleaned out a pond WVNebJockey Ponds 2 13-04-2005 03:02 PM
Cleaned pond bk Ponds 3 10-01-2004 02:33 PM
Cleaned pond bk Ponds 1 09-01-2004 10:01 PM