Old 19-08-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default About water celery?

build a veggie filter. Jo Ann told me this morning that her ammonia
is almost gone entirely. The water celery (not lettuce) I sent her 12
days ago almost entirely fills her 3' pond she is using as the veggie
filter. she now is seeing mulm accumulating in the bottom. her water
is crystal clear. Jo Ann has a 10,000 gallon pond with 40 huge koi in
it. Ingrid

Do you have one of these?

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/Programs/wq/pl...er_celery.html
Vallisneria Americana

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_spiralis.php
Vallisneria spiralis

Ebay has several offerings of water celery that grow leaves above the
water. Is that what you have too?
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 19-08-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal,

We have loads of water celery, complements of Bonnie in NJ about a
decade ago.

Want some?

Jim

Old 20-08-2007, 04:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Will it overwinter in northern areas like New York? Also does anyone know of
a web site where I can buy some. I've looked for it locally and have been
unable to find it.
Thanks
Bill

ups.com...

Old 20-08-2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Check with Bonnie in NJ. She has had celery for an age.

Jim

Old 20-08-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:47:59 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

We have loads of water celery, complements of Bonnie in NJ about a
decade ago.

Want some?

Thanks, that is kind of you to offer, but forgive me if it sounds rude
of me to ask again, but what kind of plant are we talking about?

The scientific name: Vallisneria grows underwater.
The scientific name: Oenanthe javanica grows beautiful leaves above
the water. Both of these have other names also, but are commonly
called water celery.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 20-08-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'd like some!

Does it handle full sun and high temps?

wrote:

Hal,

We have loads of water celery, complements of Bonnie in NJ about a
decade ago.

Want some?

Jim

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 20-08-2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

Check with Bonnie in NJ. She has had celery for an age.

Well colloquial names are nothing but smoke an mirrows..

For example there's a big difference between European and
American watercress. The European watercress is a cress but
the American watercress is a Water Horseradish..

Read once a pond article about the Eurasian V. spiralis that
overwintered in a Middle European pond in a depth of 70 cm
(= 28"). The pond owner removed snow on ice so the vals got
enough light to survive..

P.S.: In aquaria vals might sometimes be confused with sags
(mostly Sagittaria subulata). Sags also have different
looking emerged leaves but vals do always live a submersed
life..
--
cu
Marco

Old 20-08-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

We have loads of water celery, complements of Bonnie in NJ about a
decade ago.

Want some?

Thanks, that is kind of you to offer, but forgive me if it sounds rude
of me to ask again, but what kind of plant are we talking about?

The scientific name: Vallisneria grows underwater.
The scientific name: Oenanthe javanica grows beautiful leaves above
the water. Both of these have other names also, but are commonly
called water celery.

This is what I have always thought was water celery:

http://www.koivet.com/plants/celery.html

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 21-08-2007, 05:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Joe,

I followed your link. That IS what I call water celery. Hal and
Marco, take a look and see if it is what you are thinking of. The
link also describes its hardiness to zone 8.

Jim

Old 21-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Joe,

I followed your link. That IS what I call water celery. Hal and
Marco, take a look and see if it is what you are thinking of. The
link also describes its hardiness to zone 8.

As best I can tell, that's what is thriving in my zone 5 pond in N.
Central Indiana. It's been through 2 winters now with no problem.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Old 21-08-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:10:42 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Joe,

I followed your link. That IS what I call water celery. Hal and
Marco, take a look and see if it is what you are thinking of. The
link also describes its hardiness to zone 8.

Jim

It survives here in Zone 7a. I have the less hardy kind, Flamingo. It is
sometimes called water parsley, but looks similar to the picture shown,
only has pink fringe along with the green and white. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-08-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:23:55 CST, ~ jan wrote:

It survives here in Zone 7a. I have the less hardy kind, Flamingo. It is
sometimes called water parsley, but looks similar to the picture shown,
only has pink fringe along with the green and white. ~ jan

I think that is Oenanthe Javanica Flamingo and it is beautiful. Here
is my favorite shot of that.
http://www.paghat.com/waterparsley.html
It survives winter, but does it die back to the water when frost or
freezes occur?
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 21-08-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:09:55 CST, San Diego Joe
wrote:

The scientific name: Vallisneria grows underwater.
The scientific name: Oenanthe javanica grows beautiful leaves above
the water. Both of these have other names also, but are commonly
called water celery.

This is what I have always thought was water celery:

http://www.koivet.com/plants/celery.html

That is the common name used by lots of people, so I'm willing to
accept that is what it is called, but by definition, Vallisneria,
strikes me as one that wouldn't burn back to the water when frost
strikes or we get a thin film of ice that lasts a day or two during
colder winters. The variety called tape grass is something I've seen
in aquariums for years and ignored it, thinking I had no use for such
a plant. Now, I'm not so sure. I prefer to take advantage of the
experience of others and appreciate your helping me.

Does your celery die back from the cold weather?

I'm searching for plants to replace the water hyacinth. It is the
fastest growing water plant I've ever used, but it is unpredictable
for me and the long roots are messy. Some years I toss them in an
they grow, some years they turn yellow and shrink and I haven't
discovered why. (Yes, I've gone through the potassium, magnesium,
iron fertilizing. No, it doesn't always work.) My solution is to go
with plants that aren't so unpredictable for me. Unfortunately the
plants I think work best are over 3' tall and need a firm place to
anchor. (I'm still working on that. How do you clean a pyramid of
bricks on the bottom?)
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 21-08-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ours too is hit by frost, but comes back every year.

Jim
Jackson, MS
Frost goes to as low as 20 degrees, but does not hold long and does
not freeze the pond for long.

Old 21-08-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

The scientific name: Vallisneria grows underwater.
The scientific name: Oenanthe javanica grows beautiful leaves above
the water. Both of these have other names also, but are commonly
called water celery.

This is what I have always thought was water celery:

http://www.koivet.com/plants/celery.html

That is the common name used by lots of people, so I'm willing to
accept that is what it is called, but by definition, Vallisneria,
strikes me as one that wouldn't burn back to the water when frost

snip

Yes, that is also called water celery, but if you are looking for something
that will work in a veggie filter, then Oenanthe javanica is what you want.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 2 18-03-2003 02:44 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM