Old 21-08-2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default About water celery?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:24:00 CST, Hal wrote:

I think that is Oenanthe Javanica Flamingo and it is beautiful. Here
is my favorite shot of that.
http://www.paghat.com/waterparsley.html

That's it, gorgeous.

It survives winter, but does it die back to the water when frost or
freezes occur?

It dies back.... and seems to have a hard time coming back if left
submerged. It is currently growing well in a couple of the blocks that
surround the lily pond. I'm thinking of digging in the pots I currently
have in water instead of leaving them in the pond, see what happens.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-08-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

mine spilled over onto the ground and it is the first thing out of the
ground in spring.. like with the daffs and tulips. I had some in a
free standing filter and long after everything else frosted out this
stuff was going great guns. it is very hardy. Ingrid

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:27:13 CST, "Bill C"
wrote:

Will it overwinter in northern areas like New York? Also does anyone know of
a web site where I can buy some. I've looked for it locally and have been
unable to find it.
Thanks
Bill

Old 22-08-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have the water celery pot and dirt free in the filter. every spring
I dig some new up from the area next to the pond. and that stuff is
growing in deep shade. I have never left it out in the veggie filter
which is drained in fall. maybe I will try that. Ingrid

Old 24-08-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Jim..

I ment vals but I did a look. Well it's an very interesting
thing. Will try to get seed of it..

Thanks..

--
cu
Marco

Old 26-08-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 21, 3:29 pm, ~ jan wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:24:00 CST, Hal wrote:
I think that is Oenanthe Javanica Flamingo and it is beautiful. Here
is my favorite shot of that.
http://www.paghat.com/waterparsley.html

That's it, gorgeous.

It survives winter, but does it die back to the water when frost or
freezes occur?

It dies back.... and seems to have a hard time coming back if left
submerged. It is currently growing well in a couple of the blocks that
surround the lily pond. I'm thinking of digging in the pots I currently
have in water instead of leaving them in the pond, see what happens.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

I have seen it advertised as varigated water celery. It isn't hardy
in
my pond here in NJ.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-08-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 20, 11:00 am, Hal wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:47:59 CST, Phyllis and Jim

wrote:
We have loads of water celery, complements of Bonnie in NJ about a
decade ago.

Want some?

Thanks, that is kind of you to offer, but forgive me if it sounds rude
of me to ask again, but what kind of plant are we talking about?

The scientific name: Vallisneria grows underwater.
The scientific name: Oenanthe javanica grows beautiful leaves above
the water. Both of these have other names also, but are commonly
called water celery.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Sorry to come in to the discussion so late, my granddaughter was
visting
and took up all my time.
The water celery that Jim and I have is Oenanthe javanica. It
survives the
winers here in NJ.
Bonnie
NJ

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 2 18-03-2003 02:44 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM