Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Old posts popping up?

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 10:27:59 CST, "MLF" wrote:

This process sounds cumbersome, but it's actually even worse. It is based on
a moderator being conscientious in deeming posts worthy of being sent on to
be posted. It also assumes that the moderator holds no grudges and has some
sense of integrity. And it is also slow, since no one sits by their computer
all day and waits for posts to arrive.

I don't think the mods are doing too badly. All of the above is true, but
it is better than what we had.

I haven't noticed that this group has any particular axe to grind or is
infested with trolls (as others have been).

This group "is" moderated, that's why there are no trolls. See Rec.ponds
that is the unmoderated group we all fled. That's where the axes are still
grinding.

A much better way is to use killfiles.

That would have been nice, but not only were the trolls constant nym/e-mail
changing, even some of the "nice" people here played that game there (and
probably still do).

BTW: If you use Google to read newsgroups, it has no filter mechanism. You
see it all. That's a good reason to get off there and get a newsreader with
filtering.

Unfortunately that isn't an option for everyone, for whatever reason.
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"MLF" wrote:

snip

This process sounds cumbersome, but it's actually even worse. It is based on
a moderator being conscientious in deeming posts worthy of being sent on to
be posted. It also assumes that the moderator holds no grudges and has some
sense of integrity. And it is also slow, since no one sits by their computer
all day and waits for posts to arrive.

I haven't noticed that this group has any particular axe to grind or is
infested with trolls (as others have been). The people who post are more
polite and considerate than almost any other group I know of. Changing to a
moderated group is a pretty drastic way to control content, and I haven't
seen many posts here that are so worrisome as to need it. In my opinion,
it's an extreme solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Boy, you are sooooo wrong Just to see how bad it was, go over to
rec.ponds. It went from a nice group like this to a mosh of cross posting
drivel making it impossible to read.

A much better way is to use killfiles. If you use any of the more popular
email/newsgroup programs, they all have the ability to exclude any poster or
any post containing some particular character sequence. That way, you
control what you see (or not). If others want to see everything then they
can. In my experience, that's a much more workable way to accomplish
responsible self-censorship.

Yes, killfiles work as long as you are diligent in keeping up, but who has
time. It also assumes that everyone has the skill level to do so, many do
not.

BTW: If you use Google to read newsgroups, it has no filter mechanism. You
see it all. That's a good reason to get off there and get a newsreader with
filtering. They are lots of them, and some of the best are free. Mozilla
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/) is a good one. Xnews and
NewsPro are also very popular ( see www.download.com ). I believe that all
three are available for both PCs and Macs.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Michael,

Your post is certainly on target about the problems and possibilities
of moderation. Many of us worked with the less dramatic options for
years as the crossposting and conflictual posts grew and grew in
number. It was with sadness that we went to a moderated format. It
took a while to work through the process and questions of moderator
bias, etc were discussed at length. In the end, it appears to have
worked fairly well. I think we all long for the days of civil,
unmoderated usenet.

Jim

Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article , "MLF"
wrote:

"Drew Lawson" wrote
So how can this group be moderated?

Your postings to a moderated Usenet group are quickly diverted by
the first (compliant) server they pass through. They are sent to
the moderator to say yea/nay and then (for yea) sent back into the
Usenet server world with a tag marking them as approved. Then they
get forwarded everywhere.

Of course, if the annoying auto-mod program keeps auto-rejecting
your posts, the process can take a different turn.

[...]

Macs have the excellent and free MTNewswatcher. Better than any, Mac or
PC. It's too bad they never ported it to PC.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

A big hello to NOLA from Milwaukee. I love your city.

if you spend any time in the unmoderated rec.ponds you would learn
that a few rec.ponders started a war with others and brought it to
rec.ponds. Before they started a war the unmoderated rec.ponds was a
very nice newsgroup, just like this one is.

INgrid

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 10:27:59 CST, "MLF" wrote:
I haven't noticed that this group has any particular axe to grind or is
infested with trolls (as others have been). The people who post are more
polite and considerate than almost any other group I know of. Changing to a
moderated group is a pretty drastic way to control content, and I haven't
seen many posts here that are so worrisome as to need it. In my opinion,
it's an extreme solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Rate This Thread: