Old 29-08-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Old posts popping up?

I posted some things 2 months ago that are just popping up, and there were
almost no posts for quite some time. Something weird going on?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 29-08-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:51:13 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

I posted some things 2 months ago that are just popping up, and there were
almost no posts for quite some time. Something weird going on?

I wondered where everyone had gone yesterday, but I can't remember two
months back, so I enjoyed all the new posts today, new at least to me.

--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 29-08-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I posted some things 2 months ago that are just popping up, and there were
almost no posts for quite some time. Something weird going on?

I wondered where everyone had gone yesterday, but I can't remember two
months back, so I enjoyed all the new posts today, new at least to me.

I checked the date I actually sent the post, because the topic has been dead
for over a month, and it was almost 2 months old.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 29-08-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee© wrote:

I checked the date I actually sent the post, because the topic has been dead
for over a month, and it was almost 2 months old.

If I'm correct in my theory you sent the reply in June......probably
around the 28th......there appears to be a glitch but ongoing
discussions never hurt....however old the original post is/was....

Gill

Old 30-08-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:
I checked the date I actually sent the post, because the topic has been
dead for over a month, and it was almost 2 months old.

If I'm correct in my theory you sent the reply in June......probably
around the 28th......there appears to be a glitch but ongoing discussions
never hurt....however old the original post is/was....

Yeah, but that's literally a (exactly) 2 month old post, and the topic was a
little "warm" but died off and was buried. I just didn't want to dredge up
an old controversial issue.

Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 30-08-2007, 10:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gary,

I wrote Igor, who manages the moderation software, and called his
attention to the strange non-appearance/appearance of posts. I hope
to get some idea of what happened from him. The posts that appeared
have not been on the to-be-moderated screens. We don't know where
they went for the two month interim!

Jim

Old 30-08-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:17:48 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Yeah, but that's literally a (exactly) 2 month old post, and the topic was a
little "warm" but died off and was buried. I just didn't want to dredge up
an old controversial issue.

I learn well by coming out on the wrong end of a discussion. I want
another cup of coffee and a better understanding afterwards.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 30-08-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gary,

I wrote Igor, who manages the moderation software, and called his
attention to the strange non-appearance/appearance of posts. I hope
to get some idea of what happened from him. The posts that appeared
have not been on the to-be-moderated screens. We don't know where
they went for the two month interim!

LOL!

I just want to stir the pot again, as it were.

Oh, btw, just gave up on filter replacement this year.. we ended up with a 2
month long drought, and full sun the whole time.. dried up our spring fed
stream, and it's waterfall! Upside is the pickerel iris and lilies are doing
killer in the pond, and that's helped with the uv filter running. Water's
pretty much black, but I'll do a water swap over the next week.

Oddly enough, the parrot's feather isn't doing as well as I'd have thought.
the fish finally uprooted it, but its not much bigger then it was in may. I
might pull some out, and put it in the aquarium at home, for it's wintering.

We placed some in it, and now we're seeing baby salamanders in it! Guess
there were some eggs attached!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 31-08-2007, 05:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Gary,

I wrote Igor, who manages the moderation software, and called his
attention to the strange non-appearance/appearance of posts. I hope
to get some idea of what happened from him. The posts that appeared
have not been on the to-be-moderated screens. We don't know where
they went for the two month interim!

Jim

When I post up here via my news service, GigaNews, are you able to
delete my post on all news servers? Always wondered how that worked with
posts coming from all over (not just say, Google Groups)?

Old 31-08-2007, 05:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message

Oddly enough, the parrot's feather isn't doing as well as I'd have
thought. the fish finally uprooted it, but its not much bigger then it was
in may. I might pull some out, and put it in the aquarium at home, for
it's wintering.

================================
Mine isn't growing much either. We thought it was the unusual heat we've
been having here in TN. Day after day over 100F. It's usually about to take
over by mid summer. Not this year. It's barely grown a foot.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 31-08-2007, 10:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Once a post is up, it gets sent all over the place and cannot
effectively be recovered or removed. Usenet is forever.

Jim

Old 31-08-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article om,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Once a post is up, it gets sent all over the place and cannot
effectively be recovered or removed. Usenet is forever.

Jim

So how can this group be moderated?

Old 31-08-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
Kurt writes:
In article om,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Once a post is up, it gets sent all over the place and cannot
effectively be recovered or removed. Usenet is forever.

Jim

So how can this group be moderated?

It's magic.

Your postings to a moderated Usenet group are quickly diverted by
the first (compliant) server they pass through. They are sent to
the moderator to say yea/nay and then (for yea) sent back into the
Usenet server world with a tag marking them as approved. Then they
get forwarded everywhere.

Of course, if the annoying auto-mod program keeps auto-rejecting
your posts, the process can take a different turn.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Drew Lawson" wrote
So how can this group be moderated?

Your postings to a moderated Usenet group are quickly diverted by
the first (compliant) server they pass through. They are sent to
the moderator to say yea/nay and then (for yea) sent back into the
Usenet server world with a tag marking them as approved. Then they
get forwarded everywhere.

Of course, if the annoying auto-mod program keeps auto-rejecting
your posts, the process can take a different turn.

This process sounds cumbersome, but it's actually even worse. It is based on
a moderator being conscientious in deeming posts worthy of being sent on to
be posted. It also assumes that the moderator holds no grudges and has some
sense of integrity. And it is also slow, since no one sits by their computer
all day and waits for posts to arrive.

I haven't noticed that this group has any particular axe to grind or is
infested with trolls (as others have been). The people who post are more
polite and considerate than almost any other group I know of. Changing to a
moderated group is a pretty drastic way to control content, and I haven't
seen many posts here that are so worrisome as to need it. In my opinion,
it's an extreme solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

A much better way is to use killfiles. If you use any of the more popular
email/newsgroup programs, they all have the ability to exclude any poster or
any post containing some particular character sequence. That way, you
control what you see (or not). If others want to see everything then they
can. In my experience, that's a much more workable way to accomplish
responsible self-censorship.

BTW: If you use Google to read newsgroups, it has no filter mechanism. You
see it all. That's a good reason to get off there and get a newsreader with
filtering. They are lots of them, and some of the best are free. Mozilla
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/) is a good one. Xnews and
NewsPro are also very popular ( see www.download.com ). I believe that all
three are available for both PCs and Macs.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Rate This Thread: