Old 08-11-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
mjl mjl is offline

Default pond filter question

I would like to know what the difference is between a pressurized filter and
a non pressurized filter. Is one better than the other? My filter started
leaking and I need to buy a filter for a 2,000 gallon pond.I bought my
filter locally, and had it for about 6 years. It was a regular filter with
no uv attached.Any advice on buying a new filter would be greatly
appreciated. I was considering buying a filter with a UV sterilizer built
in, as I didn't build any shelves in my pond and have tried to grow water
lilies on the bottom of the pond plus a number of other plants a few times
but the koi destroy them, so as a result the water is always green. thanks
for any advise

Old 09-11-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:57:46 CST, "mjl" wrote:

I would like to know what the difference is between a pressurized filter and
a non pressurized filter. Is one better than the other? My filter started
leaking and I need to buy a filter for a 2,000 gallon pond.I bought my
filter locally, and had it for about 6 years. It was a regular filter with
no uv attached.Any advice on buying a new filter would be greatly
appreciated. I was considering buying a filter with a UV sterilizer built
in, as I didn't build any shelves in my pond and have tried to grow water
lilies on the bottom of the pond plus a number of other plants a few times
but the koi destroy them, so as a result the water is always green. thanks
for any advise

I'm sorry I can't tell you a lot about filters that operate under
pressure. I was hoping to hear from Rich, I seem to recall he has
used this type. I'm more of a do it yourself penny pincher, too cheap
to spend the big bucks for the latest and greatest filters. I've
found I wasn't happy with minimum filters for my 1500 gallon pond.
It became a struggle to keep up with cleaning and maintenance in
general. Bottom line from my point of view, whatever type of filter
you choose be generous in sizing it to your needs.

I don't recall ever reading an article covering a comparison of the
types of filters available today. I suppose that could be because
the people who use them are concentrating on the fish and their health
as opposed to the different ways to obtain the water quality they
desire. I once visited a friend who had several ponds with different
working filtering systems, but don't recall a pressurized system. I
was most impressed by his trickle towers, but had no interest in
building one, because they may work well but, they look nasty. Anyway
if you do find a good article about the comparison of different
filtering systems let us know here.

I waited a day before answering and was expecting more traffic on this
subject, but for DIY type filters and more filtering ideas, I would
look at Koiphen.com. Membership/ID type registration is required, but
there are a lot of people posting there who spend lots of money on
fish keeping and they have some great pictures and ideas.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:49:28 CST, Hal wrote:

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:57:46 CST, "mjl" wrote:

I would like to know what the difference is between a pressurized filter and
a non pressurized filter. Is one better than the other? My filter started
leaking and I need to buy a filter for a 2,000 gallon pond.I bought my
filter locally, and had it for about 6 years. It was a regular filter with
no uv attached.Any advice on buying a new filter would be greatly
appreciated. I was considering buying a filter with a UV sterilizer built
in, as I didn't build any shelves in my pond and have tried to grow water
lilies on the bottom of the pond plus a number of other plants a few times
but the koi destroy them, so as a result the water is always green. thanks
for any advise

I waited a day before answering and was expecting more traffic on this
subject,

I was kind of hoping someone more technical would also comment. You might
try www.akca.org click on Koi Health Advisor and read the info on
Filtration.

I can say a pressurized filter is like those that are used in swimming
pools (only different media), were non-pressurized is going to be open. You
can view a non-pressurized system on my website, click on "My filter".
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-11-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

A filtration is a filtration system, one isn't better then the other, what
makes them different is the application in which you use them. The benefit
of a pressurized system is this: If you were to pump the water from your
pond up to water fall, the water can pass through the pressurized one
without the problem of the filter overflowing. Because it's sealed like a
canister water will not escape i.e. it's pressurized. If you tried to do
this with a non pressurized one, water will escape. A non pressurized system
is more of a gravity filtration, water passes through it and filters the
water and returns back to the pond. Think of it this way, you have a
container that is air tight or you have a container with a lid that is just
placed on it, which one is more secured?
A decent pond filter with UV, I have the Tetra PUV 4000. Do yourself a
favor, what ever one you get, make sure you get a UV 18 watts

. ..

Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
mjl mjl is offline

Hi Peter pan,
can you use a regular pump with a pressurized filter? I will not be using it
for a waterfall, but from what I read, they are easier to clean than a non
pressurized filter. Is this correct and what is your web site, so I can
check out the filter you mentioned?....thanks!
"Peter Pan" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 12-11-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"mjl" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Peter pan,
can you use a regular pump with a pressurized filter? I

Yes; a pump is a pump is a pump..

Old 13-11-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Peter Pan" wrote:

"mjl" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Peter pan,
can you use a regular pump with a pressurized filter? I

Yes; a pump is a pump is a pump..

Just make sure to match the pump with the filter.

Old 13-11-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..

"mjl" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Peter pan,
can you use a regular pump with a pressurized filter? I

Yes; a pump is a pump is a pump..

==============================
Wont the constant back pressure kill the pump?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-11-2007, 02:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..

"mjl" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Peter pan,
can you use a regular pump with a pressurized filter? I

Yes; a pump is a pump is a pump..

==============================
Wont the constant back pressure kill the pump?

I have a 1250 GPH pump going into a pressurized filter rated for that
size pump.

Old 13-11-2007, 08:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
I have a 1250 GPH pump going into a pressurized filter rated for that
size pump.

====================
Are they special pumps?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-11-2007, 08:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In other words, be careful what you use. a Yugo will get me from point A to
point B, but I would not dare to take it on the LA freeways.

Great line. Made me laugh.

Jim

Old 13-11-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..

"mjl" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Peter pan,
can you use a regular pump with a pressurized filter? I

Yes; a pump is a pump is a pump..

==============================
Wont the constant back pressure kill the pump?

Probably not but I can't quite agree with Mr. Pan that a pump is a pump.
There are many kinds of pump, and some handle back pressure better than
others, but all the ones used in ponds should be OK. However, "pressure"
is equivalent to "head". So if, for instance, your pressurized filter
needed 40psi (not ever having used one, I have no idea if that's a
reasonable number), that would need a pump rated to at least a 20' head!
Figure 2psi ~= 1foot, and then add some margin.
--
derek

Old 13-11-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
I have a 1250 GPH pump going into a pressurized filter rated for that
size pump.

====================
Are they special pumps?

No, just a Mag-Drive Pondmaster-type.

Old 13-11-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:
Wont the constant back pressure kill the pump?

Probably not but I can't quite agree with Mr. Pan that a pump is a pump.
There are many kinds of pump, and some handle back pressure better than
others, but all the ones used in ponds should be OK. However, "pressure"
is equivalent to "head". So if, for instance, your pressurized filter
needed 40psi (not ever having used one, I have no idea if that's a
reasonable number), that would need a pump rated to at least a 20' head!
Figure 2psi ~= 1foot, and then add some margin.
--
derek

Thanks for that explanation. Now I understand better. :-) My pumps have
easy lives since the head is no more than 2' on any of them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: