Old 20-06-2008, 09:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default adventure with brine shrimp

So I ordered dragonfly larva and damselfly larva and
brine shrimp as a possible science *experience* for a
boy I am tutoring this summer.

Putting them in my deck pondlet to hang out and grow
for the summer, then will use the turkey baster to get some
out into a traveling container when it is their turn in the
curriculum.

The brine shrimp.... AK! Should have been acquainted with
their care and feeding before I ordered them so I could be
ready (next time) but I ended up with this huge bag and...
it slipped and I had brine shrimp EVERYWHERE! The dog
wouldn't even lap them up. So I had two of the three kids in
the kitchen trying to save the brine shrimp and wondering what
was on the counters and floor that I'm sure wasn't good for
them. Daughter said ten years ago this would have been
fun - harkening back to the days when we harbored all sorts
of critters in the house... she doesn't know I have a praying
mantis egg case waiting to hatch - bwa, ha, ha! The children
have to grow up, the mom doesn't!

k :-)

Old 20-06-2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:47:18 EDT, kathy wrote:

So I ordered dragonfly larva and damselfly larva and
brine shrimp as a possible science *experience* for a
boy I am tutoring this summer.

Hehe-- Be sure to tell him how gullible we were as kids- and some of
us believed they were trainable!
http://www.sea-monkeys.com/html/abou...atarethey.html

Where'd you get the Dragonflies? I found Damselflies here- but I'd
really like to mix them up a bit. I'm hoping to do all my mosquito
control with insects.

-snip-
of critters in the house... she doesn't know I have a praying
mantis egg case waiting to hatch - bwa, ha, ha! The children
have to grow up, the mom doesn't!

Way cool. I haven't seen one hatch in a while but a couple years
ago I discovered several around my garden.

Jim

Old 21-06-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

http://www.carolina.com/
A teacher supply site.
My next order will probably include the rotting log kit...

k :-)

Old 23-06-2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
The brine shrimp.... AK! Should have been acquainted with
their care and feeding before I ordered them so I could be
ready (next time) but I ended up with this huge bag and...
it slipped and I had brine shrimp EVERYWHERE! The dog
wouldn't even lap them up. So I had two of the three kids in
the kitchen trying to save the brine shrimp and wondering what
was on the counters and floor that I'm sure wasn't good for
them. Daughter said ten years ago this would have been
fun - harkening back to the days when we harbored all sorts
of critters in the house... she doesn't know I have a praying
mantis egg case waiting to hatch - bwa, ha, ha! The children
have to grow up, the mom doesn't!

They didn't make their own civilization, eventually ending their
existance by means of a nuclear war, did they?

Oh wait - that was a South Park episode....

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Old 23-06-2008, 08:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Did you see the Mythbusters where they nuked cockroaches,
fruit flies and flour beetles?
http://tiny.cc/LWbrZ

That was here.
The flour beetle actually survived the biggest dose.
Everyone was really excited (a community full of
nerds and geeks here) and the kids of the employees
got to go see the Mythbusters team and ask questions.

k :-)

Old 26-06-2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:18:03 EDT, kathy wrote:

The flour beetle actually survived the biggest dose.

Which begs the question: What will flour beetles live on when there are no
people to grind the grain to flour? ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-06-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'll have to think on that one...

Speaking of food - Ted Allen will be hosting a food
type of Mythbusters show on the Food Network.
Starts around the end of July titled Food Detective.
One of the myths is how long it takes gum to digest
in the stomach.

Old 28-06-2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We loves Top Chef here, too.
(Even bought the cookbook!)

k :-)

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Sand hoppers as alternative to brine shrimp? billfish Ponds (alternative) 4 23-07-2005 07:16 PM
Monstro's Big Adventure Michael Lee Ponds 6 26-04-2004 07:02 AM
[IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) sam crowell Bonsai 4 22-12-2003 05:13 PM
duckweed adventure John Rutz Ponds 7 13-07-2003 03:08 PM
Pond building adventure ~ jan Ponds 1 25-01-2003 07:55 PM