Old 03-07-2008, 04:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default pond monster caught in England

I'm pretty darned sure this fellow is not native to England
but the article never says where they thought he came from...
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/ar...ticle_id=44163

k :-)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:22:56 EDT, kathy wrote:

I'm pretty darned sure this fellow is not native to England
but the article never says where they thought he came from...
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/ar...ticle_id=44163

k :-)

Dig those spurs on its legs! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
I'm pretty darned sure this fellow is not native to England
but the article never says where they thought he came from...
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/ar...ticle_id=44163

k :-)

For those of us who don't use archaic weight measures-
2 stones=28 lbs= 12.7005 kg

Pretty good sized in any measuring system. How to you not see such a
creature in a pond? Lake maybe, but not a pond.

Chip

Old 04-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Snapping turtles are quite smart, evolution wise. They don't show themselves much, can stay hidden underwater for hours, can detect foot vibration in water ages before you get close to the pond...

Luxury for a snapping turtle would be to loaf beneath a canopy of waterlilies on a hot sunny day, pecking succulent stems at a leisurely pace, once in a while peaking its nose to the surface to breath

Incredibly gentle, delicate in water, moving at no more than a very slow leisurely pace, rare is it for them to be found without heavy plant cover to hide in through the daylight hours.

Can be a tad stroppy with hissy fits should you be so uncouth as to drag them out of their deep cosey pond... They make very easy going pets, until they outgrow their aquarium.

Turtle traps can winkle them out fairly easy, if you know what you are doing

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/
Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Chip wrote:

kathy wrote:
I'm pretty darned sure this fellow is not native to England
but the article never says where they thought he came from...
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/ar...ticle_id=44163

k :-)

For those of us who don't use archaic weight measures-
2 stones=28 lbs= 12.7005 kg

Pretty good sized in any measuring system. How to you not see such a
creature in a pond? Lake maybe, but not a pond.

Define pond? My browser crashed some time after reading this article, so
maybe they did, but I was assuming something in the 1/4 acre and above
size, not a back yard pond. I was also thinking typical park pond - ie,
extremely turbid water due to massive bioload. I can easily imagine hiding
a snapping turtle there - especially since there shouldn't _be_ a snapping
turtle there.
--
derek

Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Surely a snapper. We get them in MS.

Jim

Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
I'm pretty darned sure this fellow is not native to England
but the article never says where they thought he came from...
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/ar...ticle_id=44163

How cute - they caught a baby snapping turtle!

I wonder where momma is?

--

Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Rate This Thread: