Old 31-07-2005, 01:42 AM
moe

Default Help and advice

Well I hope I have found somewhere that I can get some serious answers
a lot of places either won't answer you or tell you off. My problem I
have a small 500 gallon pond that is only 2 feet deep. I have a 650
gallon pump in it. This pond is in direct sun and my water of course is
staying green. On this small of a pond which has no fish btw... is a UV
Sterilizer Bio Filter really needed or are there chemicals to clear up
my problem? I had a few goldfish in there until we added algaefix,
afterwards within a day the fish were dead.

Old 31-07-2005, 01:56 AM
Bill Stock

"moe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well I hope I have found somewhere that I can get some serious answers
a lot of places either won't answer you or tell you off. My problem I
have a small 500 gallon pond that is only 2 feet deep. I have a 650
gallon pump in it. This pond is in direct sun and my water of course is
staying green. On this small of a pond which has no fish btw... is a UV
Sterilizer Bio Filter really needed or are there chemicals to clear up
my problem? I had a few goldfish in there until we added algaefix,
afterwards within a day the fish were dead.

Some Phosphate absorber might reduce your Algae, but the best solution is to
cover the surface with plants. I had Algae like yours the first year and
bought a UV sterilizer, which cleared up the water nicely. But the last two
years I've had Hair Algae, which no amount of UV will cure. Hair Algae
attaches itself to the rocks/liner/etc so it does not flow through the
filter.

Old 31-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Richard Holub

The way I see it...there should be no chemicals added into anu pond for any
reason. The right size filter in the right size pond should work just fine.
What is it with the uv sterilizers???
Rich
ups.com...

Old 31-07-2005, 02:04 AM
moe

I don't know much about uv sterilizers just everyone is trying to talk
me into investing into one. What size pump do you recommend Rich? I'm
like you on the chemicals I don't like to use them.

Old 31-07-2005, 02:09 AM
moe

I'm just sorta leery of that sterilizer....will try the phosphate
first. Our Lowes is having a sale on water plants to move them and of
course many look kinda ragged but repotted in some good aqua soil I
would think should help that. If I had a big pond I wouldn't mind
spending the money but we are talking about only a small 8x8 and I've
heard the same thing before on the hair algae.

Old 31-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Reel Mckoi

"moe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well I hope I have found somewhere that I can get some serious answers
a lot of places either won't answer you or tell you off. My problem I
have a small 500 gallon pond that is only 2 feet deep. I have a 650
gallon pump in it.

** I have a holding tank with the same measurements. The Pump is about the
same. The filter is homemade (water goes through a 2" filter pad, trickles
down a barrier and over small 2" crock pots, then out 3 exit holes) and
water lilies and water lettuce cover about 50% of the surface. It never did
turn really green and I had a lot of fish in there before I sold them.
Right now it's crystal clear and only has a few goldfish (until they're
given away.) I don't use anything but Lymo-Zyme to help prevent ulcers.

This pond is in direct sun and my water of course is
staying green.

** Water lilies, water lettuce and hyacinth really soak up the nutrients
and starve the algae. The shade also discourages the algae.

On this small of a pond which has no fish btw... is a UV
Sterilizer Bio Filter really needed or are there chemicals to clear up
my problem? I had a few goldfish in there until we added algaefix,
afterwards within a day the fish were dead.

** Please find another way other than chemicals. I have two UV lights and
haven't used or needed them in several years.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 31-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Reel Mckoi

"moe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm just sorta leery of that sterilizer....will try the phosphate
first. Our Lowes is having a sale on water plants to move them and of
course many look kinda ragged but repotted in some good aqua soil I
would think should help that. If I had a big pond I wouldn't mind
spending the money but we are talking about only a small 8x8 and I've
heard the same thing before on the hair algae.

===========================
Try to get some of the fastest growers and gross feeders - like water
lettuce and water hyacinth.

Old 31-07-2005, 02:51 AM
RichToyBox

What kind and size of filter do you have on the pond? Your question about
recommended size of pump makes me think that there may not be sufficient
filtration. How often, and what size water changes do you perform. Algae
love phosphates, and nitrogen, whether ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Small
water changes can improve water quality by dilution of these, but large
water changes cause more algae.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

Old 31-07-2005, 03:28 AM
moe

Sterilizer Bio Filter really needed or are there chemicals to clear up

my problem? I had a few goldfish in there until we added algaefix,
afterwards within a day the fish were dead.

** Please find another way other than chemicals. I have two UV lights
and
haven't used or needed them in several years.
--
Yep imagine how I felt when I walked outside and found dead fish
floating. I don't use chemicals on my indoor aquariums anymore either.

Old 31-07-2005, 03:33 AM
moe

I know a friend that has a large koi pond with plenty of hyacyth and
lettuce to spare.

Old 31-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Reel Mckoi

"moe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know a friend that has a large koi pond with plenty of hyacyth and
lettuce to spare.

=========================
That may be your answer! :-) I'm sure he'd be willing to gave you some.

Old 31-07-2005, 03:41 AM
Reel Mckoi

"moe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sterilizer Bio Filter really needed or are there chemicals to clear up

my problem? I had a few goldfish in there until we added algaefix,
afterwards within a day the fish were dead.

** Please find another way other than chemicals. I have two UV lights
and
haven't used or needed them in several years.
--
Yep imagine how I felt when I walked outside and found dead fish
floating. I don't use chemicals on my indoor aquariums anymore either.

I would have been horrified to find my fish dead......

Old 31-07-2005, 03:43 AM
moe

Yep especially since he is making room for new koi next week. Thank you
so much for your help. Maybe in a few years when we move to the county
that larger pond will come about that I so desire.

Old 31-07-2005, 03:47 AM
moe

http://www.christmasdecorations.org/...tics_corp.html

Basically that is the pump I have.

Old 31-07-2005, 03:50 AM
moe

It was awful and a sight I'll never forget. The chemical again was
Algaefix used as directed.