Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered User

Location: UK
Default Planning a new pond and Hi

Hi,

This is my 1st post on here. I'm Dan and I'm 16. Im from the UK and I am a bit of a mad ponder. My current pond is pretty feeble. about 4ft square and 35cm deep with small filter and waterfall. Has 4 goldfish, 1 white/ orange comet and 1 shubunkin.

Hypothetically if I were to build a new pond I am going to build a 1ft wall raised type which has 2 planting shelves and is about 1m (3.33ft) deep. It will be about 2m (about 6ft) long by 1.5m (5ft)wide. Still quite small but a bit bigger. It would have water reentry from a garage wall through a ceramic pipe and hopefully filter systems would be housed inside a garage.

I hope to stock your normal fish such as Goldfish, coments, shubunkins etc and not koi because the pond is still too small.

Anyway a rough calculation brings the pond volume to be 1950 litres (433 gal).

Anyway I need a bio/ mech filter, UV clarifier, pump package at a good price. I have seen various systems on the net but I would like your comments on which makes are good. I like the look of the green genie and fishmate systems and need feedback on these.

I like a fast flow rate in my pond to air aeration and keep waste movement going to prevent settlement in the pond. I would like about 1250 lph movement from the new pump and would use my current 600lph and my current filter for a second filter which I will stock with different media at a later date unless anyone has any suggestions for the old kit?

Airation wise ive seen some japanese piston (not cheap diaphram) air pumps that do baout 50 litres a min air output. I think 1 airstone in each filter to give benificial bacteria some O2 but might also fit 2 air rings/stones to the lowest area in the pond near to the pump to help churn up and shift sediment which I belive can store bad ammonia.

So any chance of a system like this for under £100. I dont need any extras ontop of this as I have budgeted for hosing and the like but if you can get it me for less than £100 that would be brill! thats a pump and boi/mech/UV package.

Also any opinions on systems like fismate and green genie are appreciated + any more advice welcome.

Thanks,

Daniel
Obsessive ponder,

Happy Ponding fellow ponders