Old 09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
gene

Default Lifting Lotuses

The lotus that was savaged by a racoon in the spring just sent up its
first aerial leaf. I guess there was a little growing point left that
didn't rot. I don't think I'll get a blossom this season in Chicago,
because it started out so late, but I am wondering if I can lift and
store such a little lotus for the winter or does everyone just leave it
in the pond. It probably won't freeze if I leave it in, but I am
wondering whether it can be safely lifted and stored in a cool place
instead, so I can drain the pond it's in and not worry about it.
Thanks

Old 09-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Gale Pearce

I aways put mine in the pond for the winter (currently growing on the deck
in a tub)
Gale :~)
ups.com...

Old 09-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Reel Mckoi

"gene" wrote in message
ups.com...
The lotus that was savaged by a racoon in the spring just sent up its
first aerial leaf. I guess there was a little growing point left that
didn't rot. I don't think I'll get a blossom this season in Chicago,
because it started out so late, but I am wondering if I can lift and
store such a little lotus for the winter or does everyone just leave it
in the pond. It probably won't freeze if I leave it in, but I am
wondering whether it can be safely lifted and stored in a cool place
instead, so I can drain the pond it's in and not worry about it.
Thanks

========================
If your pond doesn't freeze to the bottom you can drop them there. Pull
them up in the spring. Mine survive over the winter in those cheapo plastic
kiddy pools, but I'm in zone 6.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 18-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Gale...when you put it in the pond, at what depth do you put it and do you
leave it in the tub? Thanks
"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
I aways put mine in the pond for the winter (currently growing on the deck
in a tub)
Gale :~)
ups.com...

Old 19-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Gale Pearce

Gale...when you put it in the pond, at what depth do you put it and do you
leave it in the tub? Thanks
"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
I aways put mine in the pond for the winter (currently growing on the

deck
in a tub)
Gale :~)

I put it in the pond for the winter (actually 2 of them) so they don't
freeze - where I put it is ~18 " deep - during the summer they are up on my
deck for the growing season - after the leaves die back, I cut them back to
2" above the soil, take them out of their "deck pots" ( 2" - 3" larger all
around and ~5" deeper than the Lotus pot) and put the actual planted Lotus
pot itself into the pond with ~ 10 " water over the tub - this depends on
how thick ice gets in the winter - mine is ~ 6-8" thick
Gale :~)