Old 14-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Pump goes on and off

My pipes from my pump to the filter broke and spewed water all over the
pump. Since then the pump will run for 30 seconds, shut off for few minutes
and run again. Why is this so? I'll appreciate all helps!

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Old 14-03-2003, 08:44 PM
joe

Just Me "Koi" wrote:

Since then the pump will run for 30 seconds, shut off for few minutes
and run again. Why is this so?

Maybe it's broken?

Joe

Old 14-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Bill

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
My pipes from my pump to the filter broke and spewed water all over the
pump. Since then the pump will run for 30 seconds, shut off for few

minutes
and run again. Why is this so? I'll appreciate all helps!

Does it pump water when it runs?
Is there a sharp click when it shuts off?
Does it seem to get hot?
Does it have a little red manual reset button?

I'm guessing that it runs till it overheats, shuts off till it cools,
then runs again. Perhaps a piece of PVC went down the pipe the wrong way and
is stuck in your impeller?

---

Old 15-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

It pumps when it runs.
There is no click when it shuts off
Incredibly hot when it runs, and then goes off till it cools down and runs
again
No red reset button

I opened the pump to the impeller and there is no obstruction

Thanks for continuing help

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

"Bill" wrote in message
om...

Old 15-03-2003, 03:08 AM
RichToyBox

My sequence pump was submerged once and I let it dry out for a while before
restarting it. The water may be causing current losses in the motor that
are causing it to draw too many amps. If you have an air compressor, you
can blow it out, and see if that works better. Otherwise, I would unplug it
for a day or two. If it is running, all is well. Just give it a chance to
dry.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Bill

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote :

It pumps when it runs.
There is no click when it shuts off
Incredibly hot when it runs, and then goes off till it cools down and runs
again
No red reset button

I opened the pump to the impeller and there is no obstruction

"RichToyBox" mentioned the problem of running when it is still wet, if
it is dry, you might also look for physical obstructions that may have
gotten washed into the unit through vent holes or damaged bearings.

If you still have it open, see if you can turn it freely with your hand.

Something is causing it to draw too much current, which causes heat,
which throws the heat protection switch.

Fix what's causing the heat and you will fix the intermittent running.

---

Old 15-03-2003, 05:08 AM
KenCo

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:

My pipes from my pump to the filter broke and spewed water all over the
pump. Since then the pump will run for 30 seconds, shut off for few minutes
and run again. Why is this so? I'll appreciate all helps!

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

probably fried the bearings or impeller when it ran dry.

what brand/type of pump?

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.
Old 17-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

A lot of things have been covered, but not the cause of my submersible's
strange behavior (similar to yours, without the broken pipes). Do you have a
check valve? If so, check it for proper functioning. I had a spring loaded
valve that would get clogged and slow to a trickle, causing the pump to
overheat. I finally located a check valve with a flapper in it (instead of
the spring loaded gizmo) and that cured the problem.

Lee

Old 18-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Thanks. I have the flapper type check valve. I even tried it straight
without check valve.

--