Old 15-10-2005, 06:11 AM
Cecil

Default Cats

We love cats and own a cat.....an INDOOR cat. Our neighbors (two
different neighbors) own more than one cat and they stay outdoors
all night and most of the day (the cats, not the neighbors). Problem
is, one cat loves to fish. She's the only cat I've caught in the act,
so I'm blaming her for all the torture that has befallen on our koi and
goldfish.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to keep these sweeties away
from our precious fish, please advise. We have tried speaking
to the neighbors. What a laugh!

Cecil

Old 15-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Gail Futoran

"Cecil" wrote in message
oups.com...
We love cats and own a cat.....an INDOOR cat. Our neighbors (two
different neighbors) own more than one cat and they stay outdoors
all night and most of the day (the cats, not the neighbors). Problem
is, one cat loves to fish. She's the only cat I've caught in the act,
so I'm blaming her for all the torture that has befallen on our koi and
goldfish.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to keep these sweeties away
from our precious fish, please advise. We have tried speaking
to the neighbors. What a laugh!

Cecil

I've read cats hate the smell of citrus. What
about tossing orange rinds around the pond
for awhile (putting out fresh every couple
of days) and perhaps the cats will get the
idea and go elsewhere. There are products
like "cat away" in pet stores. I don't know
how well they'd work. I'd read the labels
carefully since a lot of things can be toxic
to aquatic life. There might be other organic
"barriers" you could research online, or
perhaps do a google search in rec.pets.cats.
http://groups.google.com/

On a benign cat-pond note, one of my cats
drank water from the pond today. She's never
done that before. I know that's not unusual, but
she has terminal cancer and anything that pleases
her pleases me. As far as her affecting the fish:
as a 5-lb cat with depressed appetite, she's not
interested in "fishing". (She only goes out under
strict supervision and because she wants to.)

Gail

Old 15-10-2005, 07:24 PM
~ jan jjspond

We love cats and own a cat.....an INDOOR cat. Our neighbors (two
different neighbors) own more than one cat and they stay outdoors
all night and most of the day (the cats, not the neighbors). Problem
is, one cat loves to fish. She's the only cat I've caught in the act,
so I'm blaming her for all the torture that has befallen on our koi and
goldfish.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to keep these sweeties away
from our precious fish, please advise. We have tried speaking
to the neighbors. What a laugh!
Cecil

Motion sprinkler called the Scarecrow ought to do it:
http://www.km01.com/gardeninghome.html ~ jan

Old 15-10-2005, 07:25 PM
~Roy

Havahart or live trap if speaking to the owners of the cat don't
work......Either keep it hostage for awhile or carry it to the local
shelter and tell em its a stray thats been hanging around and all your
attempts at finding its owner had failed! Odds are if they do not care
about their cats well being they wll not go looking for it at the
shelter either.
Cat problem solved......Or get a big old cat hater of a dog.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 15-10-2005, 07:33 PM
~Roy

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:37:39 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

snip
===I've read cats hate the smell of citrus. What
===about tossing orange rinds around the pond
===for awhile (putting out fresh every couple
===of days) and perhaps the cats will get the
===idea and go elsewhere. There are products
===like "cat away" in pet stores. I don't know
===how well they'd work. I'd read the labels
===carefully since a lot of things can be toxic
===to aquatic life. There might be other organic
==="barriers" you could research online, or
===perhaps do a google search in rec.pets.cats.
===http://groups.google.com/
===
===On a benign cat-pond note, one of my cats
===drank water from the pond today. She's never
===done that before. I know that's not unusual, but
===she has terminal cancer and anything that pleases
===her pleases me. As far as her affecting the fish:
===as a 5-lb cat with depressed appetite, she's not
===interested in "fishing". (She only goes out under
===strict supervision and because she wants to.)
===
===Gail
===

One should not have to pay $$$$ out of their pocket or spend time and
effort to keep another persons wayward pet under control or to
protect their investments (car, pond, fish etc etc). A wild animal
(racoons, herons etc) is one thing a domesticated animal (dog, cat
etc) is another story altogether. I would not hesitate to take that or
any other animal out by way of a humane live trap if words to the
owner failed, and if push come to shove, the triple S method would
certainly be used, but only as a last resort. I had problems when our
one neighbor down the road rented their house when they took on a out
of state job for 2 years. The renters left dogs and cats run
rampant.......No amount of talking to owners would resolve the
situation, with others besides myself.....Animal control here is
handled by the county sherriff and that means if they see it and they
can shoot it it gets shot.......they do not have traps nor personel
dedicated to catching or trapping the animals that are running loose
and are problems.......After 6 or 7 familys called in and complained
to the sherriff, they soon eliminated the problem along with a little
help from the other residents.

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 15-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Cecil

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. We did set traps
for a raccoon problem we had last month. We caught a
raccoon, but the neighbor set off the trap when we left
one set just in case there were more raccoons in the area.
So, they are probably on the lookout for traps. The
Scarecrow is pretty pricey, but may try that. It's worth it
when we think of the cost of replacing fish, even though
cost isn't the main factor. We're attached to our fish!
They are like any other pet. Meanwhile, I'll toss out some
orange peels. Calling in the top guns will be a last resort,
as we don't want to take away their pets, either. Has anyone
used the high-pitched sound devise?

Cecil

Old 15-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Horai

Cecil wrote:
We love cats and own a cat.....an INDOOR cat. Our neighbors (two
different neighbors) own more than one cat and they stay outdoors
all night and most of the day (the cats, not the neighbors). Problem
is, one cat loves to fish. She's the only cat I've caught in the act,
so I'm blaming her for all the torture that has befallen on our koi and
goldfish.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to keep these sweeties away
from our precious fish, please advise. We have tried speaking
to the neighbors. What a laugh!

Cecil

Well.. Kill it. It not your cat.
Old 15-10-2005, 11:04 PM
~ jan jjspond

On 15 Oct 2005 14:12:13 -0700, "Cecil" wrote:

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. The
Scarecrow is pretty pricey, but may try that. It's worth it
when we think of the cost of replacing fish, even though
cost isn't the main factor. We're attached to our fish!
They are like any other pet. Meanwhile, I'll toss out some
orange peels. Calling in the top guns will be a last resort,
as we don't want to take away their pets, either. Has anyone
used the high-pitched sound devise?Cecil

The nice thing about the motion sprinkler is it will take care of more than
just cats. The sound devices are iffy, and still cost.

After being hit by a raccoon I bit the bullet and got the ScareCrow, what I
didn't expect was the peace of mind it gave. Well worth the money, and they
were $80-90 at the time I purchased my first one. Since then I've put one
on my lily pond and purchased an extra. The first one had a bit of a leak,
so we put the new one in it's place and the leaky one will be the fall
back, if either of the other two fail. ~ jan
Old 15-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Cyde Weys

Cecil wrote:
We love cats and own a cat.....an INDOOR cat. Our neighbors (two
different neighbors) own more than one cat and they stay outdoors
all night and most of the day (the cats, not the neighbors). Problem
is, one cat loves to fish. She's the only cat I've caught in the act,
so I'm blaming her for all the torture that has befallen on our koi and
goldfish.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to keep these sweeties away
from our precious fish, please advise. We have tried speaking
to the neighbors. What a laugh!

Are you really so opposed to putting up a fence?

I'm more of a cat person than a fish person, really, but it's
unacceptable for one person's pet to be eating another person's pet.
You may want to try laying out a trap for the cat.

Old 16-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Daniel Morrow

Mid posted.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
news
"Cecil" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I am sorry to hear your cat has terminal cancer. 2 years ago I had to
euthanize our beloved russian grey looking cat because he had throat cancer
and towards the end we had no choice but to euthanize him for his sake.
Damned cancer! A few months ago I had to euthanize his sister blackie
because she was showing major sings of old age (18 1/2 years old) and had
organ failure (possibly multiple organ failure), anemia, wasn't
eating/drinking and towards the end she weighed 4 pounds and was howling the
last day or 2 before being euthanized. It was very moving for us - I hope
the best for your cat and yourself no matter what happens, and it will still
be trying for you I am sure as pets have powerful effects on there
caregivers. Good luck and later!

Old 16-10-2005, 01:07 AM
Cecil

Do you know any cats who can be stopped by a fence? The
outdoor cat owners should put one up if anybody.

Cecil

Old 16-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Cecil

I wondered if the sound devise would have a bad affect on the fish.
I'll probably go ahead and buy the Scarecrow. Looks like it's on
sale. Our closest dealer wants over $70 for it!

Cecil

Old 16-10-2005, 01:17 AM
DW

Cecil wrote:
We love cats and own a cat.....an INDOOR cat. Our neighbors (two
different neighbors) own more than one cat and they stay outdoors
all night and most of the day (the cats, not the neighbors). Problem
is, one cat loves to fish. She's the only cat I've caught in the act,
so I'm blaming her for all the torture that has befallen on our koi and
goldfish.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to keep these sweeties away
from our precious fish, please advise. We have tried speaking
to the neighbors. What a laugh!

I never saw the original post. Where are the fish?

I had the perfect solution a few years ago. My fish were in a fish
tank,
one of my cats would get on top of the fish tank thinking dinner is
served. The problem was, she could never figure out how to get into
the
fish tank, she was standing on the access door.

Do you perchance have the fish in a tank with no cover?

Old 16-10-2005, 01:20 AM
DW

[note on this post: removed some of
the groups this posts to......my server
doesn't carrry the group named.]

****alt.religion.jehovahs-witns*****

That folks is one of the hazards of cross posting.

Old 16-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Cecil

The fish are in a backyard pond.
LOL!! No access door there.

Cecil

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats julie manns United Kingdom 82 07-04-2003 07:56 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM