Old 13-11-2005, 01:09 AM
ken ken is offline
Registered User

Question winterize pond

My pond is three years old. I only have goldfish in the pond. Some are six inches long and some are smaller. I checked the water temperature today and it is at 48 degrees F. The fish are very active in that they swim around the pond as fast as they are able. They seem to be all over the pond continually. In previous years, when the water temperature reached this low, they stayed at the bottom and I never saw them. I live in zone 8-9, so I very seldom get ice on the water.

I use a Skippy filter which keeps the water crystal clear at all time. Because my fish are so active, should I keep the filter running or should I shut it off. In previous years, I would shut it off about now and have never had a problem. I stopped feeding them about a week ago.
Old 13-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Koi-lo

Default winterize pond

"ken" wrote in message

My pond is three years old. I only have goldfish in the pond. Some are
six inches long and some are smaller. I checked the water temperature
today and it is at 48 degrees F. The fish are very active in that they
swim around the pond as fast as they are able. They seem to be all over
the pond continually. In previous years, when the water temperature
reached this low, they stayed at the bottom and I never saw them. I
live in zone 8-9, so I very seldom get ice on the water.

I use a Skippy filter which keeps the water crystal clear at all time.
Because my fish are so active, should I keep the filter running or
should I shut it off. In previous years, I would shut it off about now
and have never had a problem. I stopped feeding them about a week ago.

=======================
Is your thermometer accurate? At 48F my fish are usually on the bottom
already. I'm in zone 6 and the water in my ponds and pools isn't that cold.
I wouldn't shut the pumps and filter off if my fish were that active.

--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 14-11-2005, 12:59 AM
~ jan jjspond

My pond is three years old. I only have goldfish in the pond. Some are
six inches long and some are smaller. I checked the water temperature
today and it is at 48 degrees F. The fish are very active in that they
swim around the pond as fast as they are able. They seem to be all over
the pond continually. In previous years, when the water temperature
reached this low, they stayed at the bottom and I never saw them. I
live in zone 8-9, so I very seldom get ice on the water.

I use a Skippy filter which keeps the water crystal clear at all time.
Because my fish are so active, should I keep the filter running or
should I shut it off. In previous years, I would shut it off about now
and have never had a problem. I stopped feeding them about a week ago.

I'm in Zone 7a, I take my 1500 gph pump out of the pump chamber in fall and
continue slow flow & filtration (bacteria has gone dormant by 40F of
course, but to keep it alive I do believe flow is necessary) so I run a 350
gph pump thru winter. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 14-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Koi-lo

"CanadianPonderŠ" wrote in message
I am debating on whether I should cover the pond with plastic or not.

================
It would keep it warmer in your neck of the woods. Sometimes here in TN we
don't even get an ice coat on the top. But we're about due on one of those
whoppers.......

Old 15-11-2005, 02:12 AM
~Roy

Yet again proof carol is loosiing it and holding a conversation with
herself.........what a looser.

===
===================
===It would keep it warmer in your neck of the woods. Sometimes here in TN we
===don't even get an ice coat on the top. But we're about due on one of those
===whoppers.......

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 15-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands

Roy,

If you and Carol and Jabbers and the rest of the trolls must continue to destroy this group you should at least learn to spell your insults properly. Someone who loses it is a LOSER.

Old 16-11-2005, 03:57 AM
zirŠon

billfish , wrote an article in
that went like:

~Roy Wrote:
Yet again proof carol is loosiing it xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

snip the old bait

Roy,

If you and Carol and Jabbers and the rest of the trolls must continue
to destroy this group you should at least learn to spell your insults
properly. Someone who loses it is a LOSER.

BF, are you not reading my postings? If not , why not,??
Do you disagree or find fault iin what I propose?

"Roy" is simply laying bait, you sucked on it bigtime..let it go..!
"Roy" hit my KF before he even posted ..anything. That must tell you
something?
And.
Resist compounding matters by reading as a "speehlun troll", get used
to peoples small errors (your view) or their
'correctness' (their view).

FYI "loose" in 'meri-kun speak does mean "lose", there are many other
like misuses of English (your view). You get that on these big
projects :-/

cheers]

zIR

--
response

Old 16-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands
Wink

You are right,I shouldn't do it, but I bit. I just get so annoyed that these moronic trolls have to carry on their war in a group that is mostly populated by folk who are more interested in ponds, fish, etc, than conflict with others. I usually ignore them because I don't know how to set up a killfile. Believe me, if I did, there would be plenty of posters in there, but not for their bad spelling. ;-)

Old 16-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Elaine

yayayayaya, just like thr typcial butthole that doe snot really have a
bonafide response to whats posted, but feels a need to reply so those
dumbasses have to pick on spelling. I could give a rats backside about
my spelling. I kow how to spell, but why should i worry about it as
its only getting read by idiots like you and the others that have a
need to reply........consider it a test of your ability to know the
difference, but you still failed, as you just can;t shake the habit of
replying....must have went to the same school as Carol! And just for
your benefit, I num shifter al la carol method just to make sure you
got to see my response, weather or not you reply is your problem I
could really care less, but I know you have seen it dude!
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:05:28 +0000, billfish
wrote:

===
===Roy,
===
===~Roy Wrote:
=== Yet again proof carol is loosiing it and holding a conversation with
=== herself.........what a looser.
===
=== On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:04:38 -0600, "Koi-lo" lid
=== wrote:
===
=== ===
=== ==="CanadianPonderŠ"
=== ...
=== ===================
=== ===It would keep it warmer in your neck of the woods. Sometimes here
=== in TN we
=== ===don't even get an ice coat on the top. But we're about due on one
=== of those
=== ===whoppers.......
===
===
=== ==============================================
=== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
=== "The original frugal ponder"
=== ~~~~ }((((o ~~~~~~ }{{{{o ~~~~~~~ }(((((o

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 16-11-2005, 03:03 PM
zir

Evidently thats why you have such a username........bill fish are know
to bite.........and since some folks are accused of trolling....you
just got hooked.......maybe you should change your name to baitfish!
Bill fish are a lot smarter breed.. Now its off to the taxidermist to
get my trophy billfish mounted! Your a real keeper!
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa
Perhaps spend a bit more time learing how to killfile would be in yur
interest instead of throwing your dog in the ruckus would be in yur
favor.......and yes I misspelled your, simple mined foks are not
worthy of going out of the way to make spelling corrections for.

Odds are you also bit on this message as well........but you will not
fess up to being stupid again.........now why don;t you go find
yourself some tainted cow meat to eat, and keep your two cents or
whatever your monetary term is out of the posts unless you want to be
considered fair game or in your case bait fish.

===
=== ~Roy Wrote:
[...]
=== --
=== response

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 16-11-2005, 03:43 PM
kc

You all need to GET A LIFE.
"Elaine" wrote in message
yayayayaya, just like thr typcial butthole that doe snot really have a
bonafide response to whats posted, but feels a need to reply so those
dumbasses have to pick on spelling. I could give a rats backside about
my spelling. I kow how to spell, but why should i worry about it as
its only getting read by idiots like you and the others that have a
need to reply........consider it a test of your ability to know the
difference, but you still failed, as you just can;t shake the habit of
replying....must have went to the same school as Carol! And just for
your benefit, I num shifter al la carol method just to make sure you
got to see my response, weather or not you reply is your problem I
could really care less, but I know you have seen it dude!
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:05:28 +0000, billfish
wrote:

===
===Roy,
===
===~Roy Wrote:
=== Yet again proof carol is loosiing it and holding a conversation
with
=== herself.........what a looser.
===
=== On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:04:38 -0600, "Koi-lo"

=== wrote:
===
=== ===

Old 16-11-2005, 08:54 PM posted to rec.ponds
Edgar Da Trollmeister

"~Roy" wrote in message

Yet again proof carol is loosiing it and holding a conversation with
herself.........what a looser.

Lern hau two spel simple inglish words such as "losing" and "loser".

Old 16-11-2005, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
zirŠon

~Roy Wrote:
[...]

Ok, I hear you BFs
Remember that line in my original post ? ..went like " the best KF is
between the readers/members ears?
Right,... now..you see the idiot tried a nymshift using zir as a
handle?
That's maybe the limit of *its* skills, the signs are there *it* is
not very clever at these things..sooooo equally, you have not got to
be too clever to be rid of *it*.
For now, simply ignore the posts, read them by all means, but do not
respond.
IF for some personal reason you feel you ought to respond, type the
response out and leave it in your outbox for 24 hours.
Now,, If a "butt buster" has not been posted in that time, then post
your response. *That* is "smart posting".
This (my post) is a "butt buster"...you see, what is a fact is that
the idiot will read EVERY post around *it's* action, looking for a
spin to grab hold of. No responses and *it* WILL die, believe.
Leave the "butt bustin" to those that do have the skills,, too easy
for you and a REAL WORRY for idiots that post bait bfg
When the idiot reads this *it* will start cranking up another
method/way to post bait..give *it* plenty of rope. *It* builds its own
noose, believe.
IF everyone just sticks to using their own recognised identity for
r.p and keeps right on with "normal" business around the Group
Charter this 'mess' will soon sort itself out. Bet on it s

Think first..post last.
Best KF you will ever load to a Desktop/Console.

cheers

zIR

--
response

Old 17-11-2005, 12:45 AM posted to rec.ponds
zirŠon

Ya got that bunch of crap I posted there mr baitfish......I bet your
hooked again in that big old nose of yours......... your so easy!

Regards the zi clone