Old 28-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Registered User

Default how much could i get for them?

I live in the United States

my parents have a 150 gallon pond in their front yard with 6 koi and 2 goldfish. they are seriously outgrowing it. we're going to build them a larger pond in the back yard, but our yard is small and i think no matter how big we make it, it will still be too small for all those fish once they're adults.

i am considering selling a couple of the koi. i have a metallic gold and black snakeskin koi that is about 8-10 inches long, an orange metallic koi that is about 10-12 inches long, two butterfly koi, one black and white, one kind of a peachy color, that are i think 6-8 inches not counting their tails, and one blue koi that is a good 12 inches. he's a lighter gray blue with darker blue spekles all over him. and also a little 5" platinum koi.

this is the blue koi, so you can see his color. that is a 6" wide net, and as you can see, he's sticking right out of the top of it. this picture was also taken LAST YEAR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e_Eden/koi.jpg

these fish were all bought at about 2-3 inches of length at various LFS for about $5 or less. they're not specially bred or anything. i'm just wondering what i might be able to get for them, IF i decide to sell them.
Old 29-12-2005, 04:26 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._Eden/koi.jpg]

these fish were all bought at about 2-3 inches of length at various LFS
for about $5 or less. they're not specially bred or anything. i'm just
wondering what i might be able to get for them, IF i decide to sell
them.

========================
Your little pond is horribly overcrowded. Not knowing the going rate where
you live (the UK) it's impossible to say what you can get for them. Here in
the mid-south of the USA I get $20 to $30 each since the store will have to
make a profit when selling them. You may get a bit more if you advertise
them in one of those Penny Pincher newspapers. Mine are usually smaller
when I sell them though.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 29-12-2005, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._Eden/koi.jpg]

these fish were all bought at about 2-3 inches of length at various LFS
for about $5 or less. they're not specially bred or anything. i'm just
wondering what i might be able to get for them, IF i decide to sell
them.

Probably around $15-$25 baseline. Ideally you advertise and dicker by how
good a response you get on the ad. The more people interested, the higher
the price you might get. ~ jan

----------------
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-12-2005, 04:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

I seriously doubt you get 20 to 30 bucks each for your ponds
fish.....and the store is oging to add more to that as well.......They
can buy em chepaer than what you say your getting for them. Yet more
liars and bullshit from Carol who by now with all the fish she
supposedly sells should have been a millionare.........

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:26:29 -0600, "Koi-lo"
wrote:

"Lucky_13" wrote in message

[...]

\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 31-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Registered User

i'm well aware that the pond is overstocked. that's why i'm here in the first place. i think i will keep them. we're going to build a larger pond this coming spring. they should be fine until then, since its winter and they're not being fed and are rather lethargic from the cold. that should hold them for a few years, and by then my parents will have moved onto their new property where they're building a house. they're going to have a beautiful large pond with a waterfall and everything once they get their house built.

Old 31-12-2005, 10:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Lucky_13" wrote in message

i'm well aware that the pond is overstocked. that's why i'm here in the
first place. i think i will keep them. we're going to build a larger
pond this coming spring.

That's what we did. :-) When the fish outgrew the 800 gallon pond we dug
a 2000 gallon pond. Meanwhile behind the house we have 150 gallon pools and
a 600g pool or tank for the koi fry.

they should be fine until then, since its
winter and they're not being fed and are rather lethargic from the
cold. that should hold them for a few years, and by then my parents
will have moved onto their new property where they're building a house.
they're going to have a beautiful large pond with a waterfall and
everything once they get their house built.

Lucky them!!! :-)) I wish I space that wasn't pure limestone to put an
even larger pond in........

Old 01-01-2006, 07:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

i'm well aware that the pond is overstocked. that's why i'm here in the
first place. i think i will keep them. we're going to build a larger
pond this coming spring. they should be fine until then, since its
winter and they're not being fed and are rather lethargic from the
cold. that should hold them for a few years, and by then my parents
will have moved onto their new property where they're building a house.
they're going to have a beautiful large pond with a waterfall and
everything once they get their house built.

Few years? Wow, you may be pushing it with that many fish. Even with
pristine water conditions, overcrowding is very stressful on koi. In
cramped quarters they can also start having some physical deformities
happen. Think cat in the cube. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a