Old 28-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Jerrispond

Default Water Hyacinth

have also considered the e-bay route this year, we have seen them for 10for
$10.00 plus shipping, which is not a bad price when we have to pay 3-4 per
plant at garden shops here in iowa.

Man! ...and I've been using them for compost!

Yes, but you can't sell them in the summer everyone is using them for
compost......I just ordered some from ebay....I am getting 8 hyacinths and 4
lettuce for $15 including shipping I think that is a really good
deal.....She said the lettuce are real small, but that is ok....they grow
really fast.....Jerri

Old 28-03-2003, 05:56 PM
REBEL JOE

It varys from dealer to dealer but they sell them in like groups of 10
to 50. Go to e-bay and search pond plants

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 28-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Edward Reid

KenCo wrote...
FWIW
Florida spends approx. $10 million+ a yr to destroy it
to keep the waterways clear.

And that does not even come close to actually keeping it clear, or to
protecting the native species which hyacinth overwhelms.

They are beautiful when you only have a few. When they take over and
you can't find anything else, you quickly learn to hate them. If your
water hyacinths are doing poorly, it's probably the bad vibes being
sent from down here in Florida ... ;-)

And WH is only one of several terrible invasive water plants here.

Edward
Old 28-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Dan

My water hyacinth plants go from the veggie filter when overcrowded into the
pond where the roots are quickly consumed and then into the garden where
they make great compost. In zone 5 you only have about a 4 month period
where the plants really thrive and multiply.

"Dan" wrote in message
Any suggestions for the best on-line site for water hyacinth? Dan.

Old 29-03-2003, 12:44 AM
zookeeper

I wonder if the state of Florida should go into the pond plant business,
and ship that WH to all of us ponders in more northern states that rely
on it to quickly clear our ponds each spring / summer. ;-)
--
Kathy, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond

Old 31-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Edward Reid

zookeeper wrote
I wonder if the state of Florida should go into the pond plant business,
and ship that WH to all of us ponders in more northern states that rely
on it to quickly clear our ponds each spring / summer. ;-)

Ya want about ten tons apiece? "-/

The amount of the stuff that grows here is staggering. I don't have
numbers, but you'd have to buy it by the truckload to make a dent.
However, if you're driving to Florida, feel free to take some home in
your trunk. OK, I know you're a long way off ...

Edward
Old 01-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Tom L. La Bron

I lived in India for three and a half years and
Water Hyacinths are a major problem for their
water ways in the south part of the country. They
battled it for years trying all sort of techniques
trying to get rid of it because it literally
blocked their waterways. At least, it was a
problem for many until they found that their
cattle would eat it. Now it is harvested
extensively for feed for cattle. It is only a
problem in a few isolated places now a days.

Tom L.L.
"Edward Reid" wrote in message

om...
zookeeper wrote

Old 03-04-2003, 02:32 AM
zookeeper

Okay, who lives in Florida, wants to collect the WH, clean it and ship
it out of there? OOOOOhhhh I see lots of hands popping up, don't I?
Yoohoo, where's is everyone? Oh, well, there's probably some law about
shipping it out of Florida, as well as shipping it into Florida and
across other states. (*hypothetical News Flash: truck carrying tons of
water hyacinth overturns in **southern state** -- WH invading the
Mississippi River). ;-p Anyone have a large suitcase or trunk?
--
Kathy, zookeeper

zookeeper wrote

Old 03-04-2003, 03:56 AM
jammer

LOL....good luck. You may want to just toss or compost them. I had one
survive the winter. We'll see if i end up with more than one at the
end of the summer.

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:22:52 -0800, zookeeper
wrote:

Okay, who lives in Florida, wants to collect the WH, clean it and ship
it out of there? OOOOOhhhh I see lots of hands popping up, don't I?
Yoohoo, where's is everyone? Oh, well, there's probably some law about
shipping it out of Florida, as well as shipping it into Florida and
across other states. (*hypothetical News Flash: truck carrying tons of
water hyacinth overturns in **southern state** -- WH invading the
Mississippi River). ;-p Anyone have a large suitcase or trunk?
--
Kathy, zookeeper

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 03-04-2003, 05:08 AM
KenCo

zookeeper wrote:

Okay, who lives in Florida, wants to collect the WH, clean it and ship
it out of there? OOOOOhhhh I see lots of hands popping up, don't I?

FWIW
$5000 fine for transporting WH across state lines.

Yoohoo, where's is everyone? Oh, well, there's probably some law about
shipping it out of Florida, as well as shipping it into Florida and
across other states. (*hypothetical News Flash: truck carrying tons of
water hyacinth overturns in **southern state** -- WH invading the
Mississippi River). ;-p Anyone have a large suitcase or trunk?
--
Kathy, zookeeper

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.

Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 AM
zookeeper

Thanks. I was pretty sure there was a reason someone wasn't already
doing this!! Wow! $5,000!!
--
zookeeper

Old 03-04-2003, 05:56 PM
mad

makes sense to me!
mad
--
We are responsible for what we do, unless, of course,
we are celebrities.

Old 03-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Which is why I was ditch diving a few weeks back! I saw some wild, and
grabbed a few handfulls of it to take home and clean. Everyone talks about
how wonderful it is, but it's illegal to sell it here. In the event that my
fish don't *eat* it all, and *if* I get extras, I'll compost it. At least
I'm a *responsible* illegal plant owner G

Lee

Old 03-04-2003, 06:44 PM
mad

LOLOLOL
mad
--
I have great faith in fools - my friends call it self-confidence.
Edgar Allen Poe

From: "Lee Brouillet"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 3 Apr 2003 11:34:09 -0600

Old 03-04-2003, 07:20 PM
K30a

Lee wrote I'm a *responsible* illegal plant owner G

I'd only worry about ponders who live on a flood plain. I recall someone who
lived by the Snake River (here in the PNW). The river flooded and everything in
the pond took off down the river where it made a left turn into the Columbia
and away it went.
I also remember a koi pulled out of the Columbia River by boy fishing, made the
paper and all.
There was a flood 10,000+ years ago that reached our yard. It left TONS of
rocks behind. I'm not too worried of a repeat at this time.

K30a - water hyacinth harborer