Old 04-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Water Hyacinth

Yeh, well think of this way: that's 20 or so fewer WH clogging the ditch. I
was "helping" to clear the waterway. Yeh, *that's* what I was doing,
officer!

Lee

"K30a" wrote in message
Lee wrote I'm a *responsible* illegal plant owner G

I'd only worry about ponders who live on a flood plain. I recall someone

who
lived by the Snake River (here in the PNW). The river flooded and

everything in
the pond took off down the river where it made a left turn into the

Columbia
and away it went.
I also remember a koi pulled out of the Columbia River by boy fishing,

made the
paper and all.
There was a flood 10,000+ years ago that reached our yard. It left TONS of
rocks behind. I'm not too worried of a repeat at this time.

K30a - water hyacinth harborer

Old 07-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Ours has survived the winter.

Of the 100+ that started the winter, about 15 have new green growth. The
rest are compost. We did nothing to protect them. The winter got briefly
into the teens and we had 1/2" of ice at one time.

When we covered the WH (last year) almost everything made it through the
winter. From this, I conclude that the body of the plant can survive the 32
degree water, but that the growth bud at the surface cannot take the lower
temperatures.

Conclusion: cover them and be sure that their bases are in non-frozen water.
We will try this next season to see if we can overwinter 50 or so.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Edward Reid" wrote in message
m...
KenCo wrote...
FWIW
Florida spends approx. $10 million+ a yr to destroy it
to keep the waterways clear.

And that does not even come close to actually keeping it clear, or to
protecting the native species which hyacinth overwhelms.

They are beautiful when you only have a few. When they take over and
you can't find anything else, you quickly learn to hate them. If your
water hyacinths are doing poorly, it's probably the bad vibes being
sent from down here in Florida ... ;-)

And WH is only one of several terrible invasive water plants here.

Edward

Old 24-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Pinkpggy

. I recall someone who
lived by the Snake River (here in the PNW). The river flooded and everything
in
the pond took off down the river where it made a left turn into the Columbia

I take it you live in Idaho, I do too.