Old 04-04-2003, 03:20 AM
tom A

Default under water pond pictures ???

HI

has anybody tried taking pictures of their fish under water???

Well I bought one of those disposable under water cameras....and
tried to take some pictures :-(

then I read the instructions :-0 .. they say its only in focus from
3' to 10' and when I put my camera in the water the fish thought it
was feeding time, and all rushed in for a bite to eat :-(

so the bottom line is the pictures did not turn out that well. and
also the camera has a wide angle lens so when its not in the water
there is lot of picture in the frame..

if you would like to view some of my shots I have them posted at the
following URL's:::

www.kinetickites.com/test/15a.jpg

www.kinetickites.com/test/16a.jpg

www.kinetickites.com/test/17a.jpg

www.kinetickites.com/test/18a.jpg

www.kinetickites.com/test/19a.jpg

I am going to work on a way to use my digital camera under water, with
out spending a bunch of $$$$

looking for comments

tom A.
Please check my WeB SiTe: www.kinetickites.com
or call me @ 405-722-KITE (5483)
or E-mail @

Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Snooze

"tom A" wrote in message
then I read the instructions :-0 .. they say its only in focus from
3' to 10' and when I put my camera in the water the fish thought it
was feeding time, and all rushed in for a bite to eat :-(

so the bottom line is the pictures did not turn out that well. and
also the camera has a wide angle lens so when its not in the water
there is lot of picture in the frame..

Some digital cameras, notably Sony, have a waterproof cover suitable for use
while snorkeling as an accessory. Other then that, try tossing a bit of food
on the other end of the pond, while you take shots.

I suppose the hardest part is sticking your face underwater to see if
everything is lined up or not.

Sameer

Old 04-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Bill

"tom A" wrote in message
HI

has anybody tried taking pictures of their fish under water???

Put a mirror in the water and shade it. Good for looking at fish and
good for taking pictures.

---

Old 04-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will work or not. But what about
putting a bowl in the water, then putting the camera "lens down" in the
bowl? Or is this not what you mean?

Old 04-04-2003, 03:44 PM

easiest is a glass tank weighted down with rocks. getting the camera to view thru
the glass is a problem, as is framing your shot.. LOL. OTOH, you can take many many
pictures and pick good ones. Ingrid

Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Jon

Use an old aquarium (taller the better.) Hold it on the bottom with rocks or
sort of metal pieces, using a towel to protect the bottom from damage. Play
with a makeup mirror, the kind with a stand to enable you to have some sort
of view of what you lens sees, Find something solid to place the camera on,
sort of a mini tripod ( I use large bean bag when shooting wildlife
photos,)(you can improvise with rice in a Glad type sandwich bag.) You might
have to make some sort of "hood" using a box or something to shade out the
light a bit to have a better view. I have done something similar to this to
have a underwater view using just a small mirror (locker type with a
plastic edge around it) propped up at an angle to watch the fish while
they are foraging about.... most interesting......... good luck. I have
been thinking about putting a small digital, PC based camera inside a jar
and using a large camera UV filter glued with silicone to the opening of the
jar to be able to lower down into the water for a peek.

Jon Nyhus
Phoenix Arizona

Old 04-04-2003, 08:08 PM
tom A

I like what Ingrid, wrote about taking many pictures and only saving
the good ones, sounds like she is a professional Photographer :-)

PS

I found my first 2 TOADS this morning, guess spring has arrived in
OK.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:20 AM
MWLienhart

I have used a cheap underwater camera in my koi pond. The pics were not that
great but a few can be viewed on the web site http://www.mikelskoi.com. The
pictures that are there are quite old in some cases but they should give you an
idea of how well those cameras work.

Mikel
Old 08-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Tom A,

First of all, you need to get you water clearer.
The clearer your water the better you pictures.
The problem with the majority of the suggestions
here is you focal distance. When they say three
feet that is exactly what they mean and it still
may not be that good at that distance because of
the most part there is a certain about of
distortion. Which disposable did you get. Many
cameras like this have plastic lens which are all
right, but really not sufficient when you put it
into a container and try to take a picture through
glass. If the aquarium idea is a good one for you
you may want to consider getting a 29 tall or some
tall tank. Float the tank in the water for a
couple of days to the fish get used to it. You
then need to get a camera that you can put on a
good wide angle lens and measure its weight. Put
that same amount of weight into the tank to have
it float at the right level. After a couple of
days replace the weight with the camera and the
wide angle lens with a cable release on it. Place
the wide angle lens on infinity (many will do two
feet and for them to be in focus). Put the
diaphragm on f/8 use a good speed film and do this
on a sunny day. Push the lens as close to the
glass as you can (an appropriate lens hood is good
in this action). Place a marker (possibly a plant
that is already in the pond) about three to four
feet from the anchored floating aquarium and wait
for the fish to swim in front of the marker and
when it does click the shutter with the cable
release. This should get you a number of good
photos with out to much stress. Now-a-days, most
cameras that people have are either diaphragm
weighted and/or speed weighted, so choose the
metering system that is appropriate for you
situation and what works for your camera.

I have used this method for ponds shots for years
and it has worked great. Just make sure the
aquarium doesn't have chance of filling up with
water. Styrofoam blocks are good for keeping the
tank afloat.

HTH, Lots of Luck.

Happy Shooting.

Tom L.L.