Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Ponds & Spring Arriving

It's time to come back out and play. (I hope)

What are your plans for this spring? I know I want to get the out-of-pond
in-the-ground filter put in on the lily pond. I'm planning on not draining
and sucking the muck out. The weather hasn't been too agreeable so far. No
early spring for us like last winter. We thought it would be, as January
was so mild, but February turned on the cold and March is hanging on to it.
How about you? ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.ponds
JB

I cleaned out my bio falls filter today. It was really yucky! Got a 3,000
gallon pond. Fed the fish a little for the first time since October. Looking
forward to a great spring!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joel

~ janj wrote in
:

It's time to come back out and play. (I hope)

What are your plans for this spring? I know I want to get the
out-of-pond in-the-ground filter put in on the lily pond. I'm planning
on not draining and sucking the muck out. The weather hasn't been too
agreeable so far. No early spring for us like last winter. We thought
it would be, as January was so mild, but February turned on the cold
and March is hanging on to it. How about you? ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

I just peeled off the tent cover off my little pond, had a heater going all
winter, it never iced up at all compared to last year which I had 4 inchs
if ice even while it was covered, all fish look good, water looks dirty.

Waiting for more warm weather here in Toronto, Canada to get the pump
going.

Joel
Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
J.D. Stone

"~ janj" wrote in message
It's time to come back out and play. (I hope)

What are your plans for this spring? I know I want to get the out-of-pond
in-the-ground filter put in on the lily pond. I'm planning on not draining
and sucking the muck out. The weather hasn't been too agreeable so far. No
early spring for us like last winter. We thought it would be, as January
was so mild, but February turned on the cold and March is hanging on to
it.
How about you? ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Time to clean out the lilies that have filled in the bottom foot of the
pond. Going to kill my back again, I am sure.
JD

Old 11-03-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:00:36 -0800, ~ janj wrote:

It's time to come back out and play. (I hope)

What are your plans for this spring? I know I want to get the out-of-pond
in-the-ground filter put in on the lily pond. I'm planning on not draining
and sucking the muck out. The weather hasn't been too agreeable so far. No
early spring for us like last winter. We thought it would be, as January
was so mild, but February turned on the cold and March is hanging on to it.
How about you? ~ jan

Spring has definitely sprung here. My pond used to be just a junk heap
albeit in water. I don't have a liner or anything like that. I had
carefully watched the water level last year (I was too lazy to get it
cleaned up) and was pretty sure I knew how high the water got. So after
the bulldozer got through with the thing this year, I waited for the hole
to fill up again. It did so in about a week, and then I waited another two
weeks before planting bulbs. A few days after I did, this particular area
got some rather heavy rain. The water came up in the pond over 16 inches,
covering the yardstick I had stuck in there as a measuring device. I
figured the bulbs that were covered were pretty much toast and so I planted
some more bulbs. Lo and behold some of the day lilies and cannas sprouted
underwater, and are still surviving today even though the water has
receded. (I mostly planted day lilies, cannas, iris, elephant ears and
stuff. I'd planted some last year and the deer didn't eat them and they
seemed to thrive even with my neglect.) I'm impressed. My style of
gardening is to get bulbs at a specialty store (Wal Mart), dig a hole and
pop 'em in (no fertilizer or anything), and then maybe water them if I get
around to it. I still can't get over seeing tadpoles resting on a plant
that sprouted underwater, and today is happily growing out of the water.
Like I say, I'm impressed, although I'm probably easily impressed.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Stings like a butterfly, floats like a bee

Old 12-03-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.ponds

It was 56o outside today. The heated water was also 55o and I fed the fish again. I
was tempted to move the output hose into the veggie filter(with no veggies yet), but
I resisted. I have a seachem ammonia alert in the pond so I can make sure the water
is good for em since I been feeding em all winter. I want to put up a greenhouse
over my pond this summer.
This year I have an entire new city backyard to landscape and dig a pond at our
rental. I am also putting in fruit trees and a grape arbor.
Out at the dacha I want to finish the deck around the big pond and build little tents
to go over the ponds in fall keep the oak leaves out and keep heat in.
Ingrid

~ janj wrote:

It's time to come back out and play. (I hope)

What are your plans for this spring? I know I want to get the out-of-pond
in-the-ground filter put in on the lily pond. I'm planning on not draining
and sucking the muck out. The weather hasn't been too agreeable so far. No
early spring for us like last winter. We thought it would be, as January
was so mild, but February turned on the cold and March is hanging on to it.
How about you? ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 12-03-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Going to kill my back again, I am sure. JD

I feel your pain (to be). I noted soon after I last posted that the temp
had hit 50*F. So I went out to prune the roses, one of which is by the koi
ponds. I saved that one for last, knowing how easily I'm distract to water
related activities.

Sure enough, I go out to prune it and next thing I've got the shop vac out
sucking up the maple tree shucks off the screens and leaves around the
ponds. Saw a swimming bullfrog under the surface, so another has snuck into
my yard. Last one I hauled off to the demon pond, so I can only hope I
can catch this one by the time I take the screens off. Then I cleaned the
skimmer and added water to top off the ponds.

Turned out to be a pretty good days, pond-wise. Now for some Tylenol.
~ jan

--------------

Old 12-03-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Lo and behold some of the day lilies and cannas sprouted
underwater, and are still surviving today even though the water has
receded. (I mostly planted day lilies, cannas, iris, elephant ears and
stuff. I'd planted some last year and the deer didn't eat them and they
seemed to thrive even with my neglect.)

====================
I've not had luck trying to grow daylilies in wet soil. They seem to like
damp soil with good drainage. Water iris will thrive in your pond
environment and come in several nice colors. Please keep me informed in how
these plants do for you over the summer.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 12-03-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Moments before spontaneously combusting Fred Hall at
was heard opining:

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:42:33 -0600, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Lo and behold some of the day lilies and cannas sprouted
underwater, and are still surviving today even though the water has
receded. (I mostly planted day lilies, cannas, iris, elephant ears
and stuff. I'd planted some last year and the deer didn't eat them
and they seemed to thrive even with my neglect.)

====================
I've not had luck trying to grow daylilies in wet soil. They seem
to like damp soil with good drainage.

Same here in Zone 8. Our soil is brick-hard, red clay. Fortunately,
day lillies, at least here, will grow and bloom when laid directly on
top of the ground. Usually though, I throw a bit of compost on top of
them.

=================
Brick-hard reddish brown clay is what we have as well. I've dug in tons of
compost we make ourselves with the help of a chipper-shredder. For the
flowerbeds I also added loads of "bought" cow manure, sulfur, Ironite, sand,
bone meal, blood meal and general fertilizers. The soil here is poor
droughty gladevill soil. When dry it's like concrete, when wet it's like
mustard.

We had to totally redo the berm with rebar and cement around our 2000g pond
because the sides were collapsing and sinking. Now it looks like the 800g
one is next.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

wrote:

[...]

My experience with Day Lilies is much the same as Fred's is - and my
soil is clay as well. I add very little when planting them other than a
little bit of compost.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

I already have a ton of water lillys pushing up leaves and even my
sensitive vine is starting to show some green growth. ALl the trees
ahave budded out or have new leaves, and the water temp in the large
ponds had never gotten below 55 deg, so we have never stopped feeding
the fish.

Not going to go to any extremes this year with the two larger ponds
and intend to just let whats there grow, and not add anything new in
the line of plants or fish (yea, I really see that happening)

Going to put a bit more attention into the preforms and water features
the wife has around the house, and spend more time on a few ideas for
sal****er and freshwater tanks.

In some ways I certainly am glad my ponds are natural ponds so there
is no real need to vac any crud and junk out, but there is times when
I wish they were not natural so I could control things more to my
liking......

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:28:36 -0800, ~ janj
wrote:
[...]

\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 12-03-2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

[...]

===================
Daylilies are one of the few garden perennials that live for us. But
without some additions their flowers are sparse and less colorful. Some red
clay soils are fertile and some aren't. Our soil is thin, lacks topsoil
(with it's organic matter) and isn't very fertile. This was woodland over
limestone, mostly limestone. Some people had to have their septic lines
blasted out with dynamite. I sure miss that rich black sandy soil I had in
NY. It grew almost anything you planted.....

Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"~ janj" wrote in message
It's time to come back out and play. (I hope)

What are your plans for this spring? I know I want to get the out-of-pond
in-the-ground filter put in on the lily pond. I'm planning on not draining
and sucking the muck out. The weather hasn't been too agreeable so far. No
early spring for us like last winter. We thought it would be, as January
was so mild, but February turned on the cold and March is hanging on to
it.
How about you? ~ jan

There is still ice in the Pond here. It will likely be May before the fish
leafage under the ice, so there will be a big cleanup ahead in any event.