Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 AM
DawgMichelle

Default New with questions!

Hi, everyone! I have been reading through this board and have decided to jump
in and get my feet wet!

I am planning to install a small pond in the next few weeks and have read a lot
on the subject over the past few years, but I would still appreciate any
advice, comments, or thoughts from you guys.

For around $100, I can get a 600 gallon preformed pond with waterfall, or a
1200 gallon liner with some other goodies (fountains, etc.). I know bigger is
almost always better, but what would be some advantages and disadvantages to
both types of ponds?

I have 3 goldfish that would go in the pond and I would also like a few plants.
I also wonder how deep I would need to make the liner pond in zone 5 for over
wintering the fish and plants? Would two feet be sufficient?

Thanks!

Michelle
Old 07-04-2003, 04:44 AM
K30a

I vote for liner!

k30a
Old 07-04-2003, 05:32 AM
jammer

Well, this is my first spring with a pond. I have a small preformed
that i am still working on fixing up. I am running out of places to
set plants! HAD I WENT THE LINER ROUTE I could have made all the
shelves i wanted! Now i am faced with either leaving it be, sitting
potted plants on cement blocks, or rigging side hanging plant holders.

However, I dont have the pump, filter, waterfall, shoot, i dont even
have a lantern, but i am going to learn all about plants and water and
eventually pumps and such, THEN i will dig a customized one.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Pickmaster

What is that 600 gallon preformed made of? I didn't know that you could get
one that big for $ 100--

Old 07-04-2003, 02:56 PM
John Rutz

--
imho liner and at least 3 ft for z5

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 PM
REBEL JOE

I live in zone 5 also (lma,Ohio). My pond is 3 1/2 feet deep and I had
no problem with fish wintering over all are ok. I went for the liner in
main pond but am adding a bog useing 2 preformed ponds.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 07-04-2003, 05:44 PM
DawgMichelle

What is that 600 gallon preformed made of? I didn't know that you could get
one that big for $ 100--

I'm not exactly sure....Sam's Club has it for $104. I'm heading up there now
to look at it and try to get more info. Someone is getting this for me as a
gift, but if it's more hassle than it's worth, I may just can the idea.

The liner available for the same price is pvc, .02" (not sure of the mm), and
is blue. Anyone heard of this stuff?

Thanks for all the replies!!
Old 07-04-2003, 06:32 PM
DawgMichelle

I live in zone 5 also (lma,Ohio). My pond is 3 1/2 feet deep and I had
no problem with fish wintering over all are ok.

I'm in Dayton, Ohio! I doubt I would go 3.5 feet deep, though....I was
thinking more along the lines of 2 feet. (I know it's minimum depth, but it's
all the liner I can afford.)

I have another thought process for my pond....a local business offers a
do-it-yourself package for $929.00. Included a

15X18 liner (45mil EPDM)
5X6 waterfall liner
12X18 Underliner
Supreme 1200gph pump
25' of spiral flex tubing
Pre-filter box
Kiss 1500R bio-filter/waterfall

Now, having looked at each piece through other sources, I can get everything
for $580. I know I'm talking an addition $500 over my original ideas, but I'm
wondering if it would be worth the extra money to do things "better" the first
time.

Also, what can anyone tell me about Xavan liners? I found a website that sells
a 19X13 for $181.00. (A 15X18 45mil EPDM goes for $175 on ebay.)

Thanks and sorry for the change in direction, but I really don't want to get
stuck with something that I'll later regret.

Thanks!

Michelle
Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
~ jan

The only pro I can say about pre-forms is when people use them as above
ground ponds, someone on here has a great patio corner pond they use for
their turtle for a visual.

In the ground, go for liner. You might want to check out permalon at
www.kencofish.com better that that pvc, imo.

You can do 2 ft in Zone 5 if you use a stock tank heater and bubbler in the
winter, you could also cover it like some do. I use vinyl screening on mine
(picture on website) but some actually build little temporary green houses
over theirs. Good choice, 3 goldfish (preferable fantails), other wise,
possible poor choice as 3 goldfish soon become 300, than 3,000, than
massive die off and you're back to 3 and usually the ugliest ones.... ;o)

See my website, my 1,000 gallon lily pond including the liner (45ml EPDM),
bottom drain and plumbing pieces for future filter and grey blocks around
perimeter, $300. My koi pond w/filter would probably cost about $1,000, but
the open cell foam alone is $300 of that. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 PM
DawgMichelle

Hi, Jan! Thanks for all the info and I enjoyed all your pics and website!!

I will continue to check out liners and look in to bubblers or a cover for
winter.

As for my goldfish, they aren't fantails -- they were 12 cent feeder fish I
"rescued" from a pet store. They have all been in the same aquarium for
almost two years and I haven't seen babies YET, but I've had fish forever, so I
know that could change quickly in a decent environment.

I really want to keep my budget as small as possible right now. I may just
start buying by the piece and begin this fall or next spring.

I guess that was my main reason for the pre-form -- quick and cheap. I do
know, however, that it wouldn't be the BEST choice.

Thanks, again!!

Michelle
Old 07-04-2003, 11:08 PM
mad

i'm DEFINITELY interested in one that size, if it's deep enough. i could do
with a bigger pond, thought i don't have much space.
mad
--
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
Oscar Wilde

Old 07-04-2003, 11:32 PM
mad

the only reason i have a preform--actually a 300 gal stock tank--is because
i don't have room for anything bigger, unless it was truly oval shaped. i
have found that with my above-ground set up, i have never had any animals in
the pond, chasing the fish or tearing up the plants; one exception--my
neighbor's dog, and i thought she was going to beat the dog to death getting
him out of there. he hasn't been back in.
and, of course, now that i have written this down i have probably jinxed it
all...
mad
--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

Old 08-04-2003, 02:32 AM
bern muller

DawgMichelle wrote in message

I have 3 goldfish that would go in the pond and I would also like a few

plants.
I also wonder how deep I would need to make the liner pond in zone 5 for

over
wintering the fish and plants? Would two feet be sufficient?

I live in southern Michigan purportedly in zone 5, and my pond is 3 feet
deep at the deep end. The first year I lost all my fish as the pond froze
solid. I take my fish inside now in very late October and have done so for
15 years. This also gives me the opportunity to clean out the pond, etc. I
also take my tropical plants in at that time, and sink the hardys to the
bottom. They survive just fine.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:44 AM
bern muller

~ jan wrote in message

over theirs. Good choice, 3 goldfish (preferable fantails), other wise,
possible poor choice as 3 goldfish soon become 300, than 3,000, than
massive die off and you're back to 3 and usually the ugliest ones.... ;o

I solve that by selling my fry in the fall to the local pet shop as feeders,
in exchange for enough fish food to get through the winter. I have a fairly
stable population that has developed lots of interesting modifications like
fancy tails, unique coloration, etc, and all from a half dozen comet feeders
purchased 15 years ago. My only big die off was caused by a Heron, and he
didn't leave any corpses.