Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Working with Pipe

I was originally planning on using 4 inch pipe for Shareholders Pond, but
now that I am 4 feet under ground and digging in concrete like clay, I am
revisiting that thought. I am seriously considering going with 2 inch pipe
or maybe two 2 inch pipes for my bottom drain. I realize 2 inch pipe + 2
inch pipe does not equal 4 inch pipe. I am thinking working with 2 inch pipe
instead of 4 could make life easier.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
I was originally planning on using 4 inch pipe for Shareholders Pond, but
now that I am 4 feet under ground and digging in concrete like clay, I am
revisiting that thought. I am seriously considering going with 2 inch pipe
or maybe two 2 inch pipes for my bottom drain. I realize 2 inch pipe + 2
inch pipe does not equal 4 inch pipe. I am thinking working with 2 inch pipe
instead of 4 could make life easier.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

-- tough question I would go 4 just so if the 2 2's didnt work out you
wouldnt have to tear it all out and redo it

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Bob H

One thing I found to break up the clay we have here (tough but not "concrete
like") is a pitchfork, stab in into the ground loosen and lift. It worked
for me, may or may not work for you but like all suggestions YMMV.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 07-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Cleveland Ponder

It would take 3 2" to equal 1 4" not taking into account friction
losses. The two inch pipes are much more susceptible to blockage also.
Bite the bullet and do it right the first time. You won't regret it.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

I would not suggest *any*thing smaller than 3"; the water flow is ONE thing,
but the ability not to clog is quite another, especially when you start
dealing with lengths longer than a few feet. Better to work a little harder
now, while you're doing it from scratch, than to kick yourself in the butt
later when you're trying to unclog pipe . . . From what I understand of your
design, you don't have any shut-off valves between the pond and your veggie
filter. If you did, you could drain the veggie filter, then open the valve
and SWOOOSH most clogs out as the water tries to equalize. But it's still a
bad idea: the OD of the pipe isn't THAT much (well, yes it is, but you'll be
happier later!)

Just my opinion . . . Lee

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 07-04-2003, 09:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
snip
later when you're trying to unclog pipe . . . From what I understand of

your
design, you don't have any shut-off valves between the pond and your

veggie
filter. If you did, you could drain the veggie filter, then open the valve

snip

Funny you mention that...I want to have valves at the end of the pipe, but I
have not seen any at Home Depot for the 4 inch pipe. Am I missing something?

BV.

Old 07-04-2003, 11:44 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
snip

later when you're trying to unclog pipe . . . From what I understand of

your

design, you don't have any shut-off valves between the pond and your

veggie

filter. If you did, you could drain the veggie filter, then open the valve

snip

Funny you mention that...I want to have valves at the end of the pipe, but I
have not seen any at Home Depot for the 4 inch pipe. Am I missing something?

BV.

Nope if you want 4 in valves the web or a real good plumbing/well
supply store
and definitly be prepared for sticker shock

Old 08-04-2003, 01:09 AM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
snip
later when you're trying to unclog pipe . . . From what I understand of

your
design, you don't have any shut-off valves between the pond and your

veggie
filter. If you did, you could drain the veggie filter, then open the valve

snip

Funny you mention that...I want to have valves at the end of the pipe, but I
have not seen any at Home Depot for the 4 inch pipe. Am I missing something?

You will have to special order one. For a waste application, a gate
valve will work best, and is the cheapest as well.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:20 AM
bern muller

John Hines wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
snip
later when you're trying to unclog pipe . . . From what I understand of

your
design, you don't have any shut-off valves between the pond and your

veggie
filter. If you did, you could drain the veggie filter, then open the

valve
snip

Funny you mention that...I want to have valves at the end of the pipe,

but I
have not seen any at Home Depot for the 4 inch pipe. Am I missing

something?

Why wouldn't a 4" cap over one or the other end of the pipe work? Just have
the pipe end stick out an inch or two.

Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Benign Vanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
Nope if you want 4 in valves the web or a real good plumbing/well
supply store
and definitly be prepared for sticker shock

snip

I figured as much, which is why I was thinking of using several smaller
pipes instead of one large. But I guess that would be a lot of work, in
order to save a few buck. I guess I will go 4inch.

BV.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Andrew Burgess

Funny you mention that...I want to have valves at the end of the pipe, but I
have not seen any at Home Depot for the 4 inch pipe. Am I missing something?

Knife valves are the cheapest valve but hard to find in 4".

A threaded coupling and threaded plug on the end works, though
those get pricy too in 4", plus you get wet and can't reduce
the flow by half unless you drill the plug.

Just slipping a 4" cap over the end can work. Can be difficult
to remove.

Saran wrap with a rubber band is the low cost winner :-^

Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Benign Vanilla

"bern muller" wrote in message
snip
Why wouldn't a 4" cap over one or the other end of the pipe work? Just

have
the pipe end stick out an inch or two.

snip

A pipe cap would be a binary valve. I am looking for an analog valve.

BV.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I will definitely go to 4" for sure, especially the portion that I can't get
to later. There is this cool shut of valve with zero restriction. It's
like a gate valve in the sense that it opens up in one plane like a garage
door.

If I see one this coming weekend I will post here and maybe pick it up as my
contribution to our community pond!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
message ...
snip

Old 08-04-2003, 04:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
Funny you mention that...I want to have valves at the end of the pipe,

but I
have not seen any at Home Depot for the 4 inch pipe. Am I missing

something?

Knife valves are the cheapest valve but hard to find in 4".

A threaded coupling and threaded plug on the end works, though
those get pricy too in 4", plus you get wet and can't reduce
the flow by half unless you drill the plug.

Just slipping a 4" cap over the end can work. Can be difficult
to remove.

Saran wrap with a rubber band is the low cost winner :-^

I am not to overly concerned about this really. The main intent for the
valve was two fold...1) a way to throttle water flow, but I guess I should
be able to do that with my pump, when I choose it. 2) Be able to close off
the VF so I can drain it and clean it. For that I guess the cap could work.
Either way, this can wait...it's not an urgent item.

BV.