Old 27-03-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Default Watercress

This is a great inexpensive plant to put into your fast flowing water
such as waterfalls. I bought some last year at an Asian supermarket
with sharp leaves. Over the winter I found another variety with rounder
looking leaves. Is this my imagination or is there more than one variety
? Is one variety better for ponds than another ?
Old 27-03-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
This is a great inexpensive plant to put into your fast flowing water such
as waterfalls. I bought some last year at an Asian supermarket with sharp
leaves. Over the winter I found another variety with rounder looking
leaves. Is this my imagination or is there more than one variety ? Is one
variety better for ponds than another ?

===========================
Lucky you! I can't find watercress anywhere in my area. With the recent
influx of Asians perhaps they'll start to carry it. Like most plants there
are probably several varieties.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 27-03-2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareeeİ

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

Lucky you! I can't find watercress anywhere in my area. With the recent
influx of Asians perhaps they'll start to carry it. Like most plants
there are probably several varieties.

I bought a number of bundles of it last year, and the fish ate it up faster
then it could grow..

Old 27-03-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Gareeeİ wrote:
"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

Lucky you! I can't find watercress anywhere in my area. With the recent
influx of Asians perhaps they'll start to carry it. Like most plants
there are probably several varieties.

I bought a number of bundles of it last year, and the fish ate it up faster
then it could grow..

Yeah ....the stuff I put in the pond the fish chewed it up and bit of
them clogged the pumps. I then learned my lesson to keep it out of the
pond where fish can eat it so I only put it in the waterfall.
Old 27-03-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
axeman

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
This is a great inexpensive plant to put into your fast flowing water such
as waterfalls. I bought some last year at an Asian supermarket with sharp
leaves. Over the winter I found another variety with rounder looking
leaves. Is this my imagination or is there more than one variety ? Is one
variety better for ponds than another ?

There may be more than one variety. The watercress I've bought has always
had rounded leaves. I buy fresh water chestnuts and put them in the pond
too. They send up shoots that are kind of interesting.

Jacqui

Old 27-03-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

This is a great inexpensive plant to put into your fast
flowing water such as waterfalls. I bought some last year
at an Asian supermarket with sharp leaves.

Google the following two plants:

# Nasturtium officinale
# Armoracia aquatica

Is your first (second) Watercress one of them?

Is one variety better for ponds than another?

The European Watercress Nasturtium officinale is emersed and
from time to time flooded easy to keep. In the wilds I saw
it several times submersed in cold water wells and creeks
streams. That might possibly depend on temperature,
minerals, KH, CO2..

Your Water Horseradish (Watercress) Armoracia aquatica is a
great water plant, too.
--
cu
Marco
Old 27-03-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gareeeİ" wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

Lucky you! I can't find watercress anywhere in my area. With the recent
influx of Asians perhaps they'll start to carry it. Like most plants
there are probably several varieties.

I bought a number of bundles of it last year, and the fish ate it up
faster then it could grow..

========================
Thanks for telling me that. If I do find it I'll put it in the settling
tank with the parrots-feather. :-)

Old 27-03-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Koi-Lo wrote:

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
This is a great inexpensive plant to put into your fast flowing water
such as waterfalls. I bought some last year at an Asian supermarket
with sharp leaves. Over the winter I found another variety with rounder
looking leaves. Is this my imagination or is there more than one variety
? Is one variety better for ponds than another ?

===========================
Lucky you! I can't find watercress anywhere in my area. With the recent
influx of Asians perhaps they'll start to carry it. Like most plants
there are probably several varieties.

....and I only paid about $1.00 a bunch

==================================
Now THAT'S a deal! :-)))

Old 28-03-2006, 01:36 AM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

This is a great inexpensive plant to put into your fast
flowing water such as waterfalls. I bought some last year
at an Asian supermarket with sharp leaves.

Google the following two plants:

# Nasturtium officinale
# Armoracia aquatica

Is your first (second) Watercress one of them?

Is one variety better for ponds than another?

The European Watercress Nasturtium officinale is emersed and
from time to time flooded easy to keep. In the wilds I saw
it several times submersed in cold water wells and creeks
streams. That might possibly depend on temperature,
minerals, KH, CO2..

Your Water Horseradish (Watercress) Armoracia aquatica is a
great water plant, too.

The "Nasturtium officinale" is what I used last year.

The "Armoracia aquatica" is what I have recently discovered and will
try this year as it has a more brilliant green colour.
Old 28-03-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Your Water Horseradish (Watercress) Armoracia aquatica is a
great water plant, too.

That must be what I have. Can't remember why my Dr. mentioned eating it,
but I pick off a sprigs, and OMG! Peppery, harsh taste. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

Old 28-03-2006, 04:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gareeeİ" wrote in message
It wasn't cheap here.. it was $4 a bundle, and I bout 5 bundles.. it was
all gone a month later!

=======================
That's a lot for greens people are planning to take home and eat for dinner.
I'll expect to pay between $1 and $4 then.

Old 28-03-2006, 05:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gareeeİ

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

"Gareeeİ" wrote in message
It wasn't cheap here.. it was $4 a bundle, and I bout 5 bundles.. it was
all gone a month later!

=======================
That's a lot for greens people are planning to take home and eat for
dinner. I'll expect to pay between $1 and $4 then.

Yep.. I thought it was very expensive as well, considering what we actually
got, but I was trying to find something to use to shade the pond, and slow
down the algae.

The uv filter I bought a few weeks ago though is the best investment in the
pond I think I've made. (Other then of course, the liner.. LOL!)

--
Gareeeİ
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 28-03-2006, 06:03 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gareeeİ" wrote in message

The uv filter I bought a few weeks ago though is the best investment in
the pond I think I've made. (Other then of course, the liner.. LOL!)

========================
You are going to LOVE these UV lights. I've already had so much trouble
with algae that I put my Tetra-UV on the 800g pond already. It was clear in
less than a week. I have a nasty green "slimy" algae this time. It's gross
and clogs up the filter intake and is like large globs of slimy glop when I
dump it out of my mulm net.... UGH! :ŝ

We're getting runoff in this smaller pond and plan to redo the berm (which
is collapsing) with concrete like we did the larger pond last year.

Old 28-03-2006, 07:18 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gareeeİ

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

"Gareeeİ" wrote in message

The uv filter I bought a few weeks ago though is the best investment in
the pond I think I've made. (Other then of course, the liner.. LOL!)

========================
You are going to LOVE these UV lights. I've already had so much trouble
with algae that I put my Tetra-UV on the 800g pond already. It was clear
in less than a week. I have a nasty green "slimy" algae this time. It's
gross and clogs up the filter intake and is like large globs of slimy glop
when I dump it out of my mulm net.... UGH! :ŝ

Only downside is that now I can see the junk on the bottom, and I want to
use the wetvac on it. Since we got colder temps again, I figured I'd give
the fish a rest for a while. There's not a lot, but enough that I think it
should be removed.. the algae "hair" though I can now see is on all the
pots, and hoses going into the pond, and they need cleaning off as well.

I *really* tried natural methods, but I should have bought the uv filter
years ago!

--
Gareeeİ
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 28-03-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

~ janj wrote:

That must be what I have. Can't remember why my Dr. mentioned eating it,
but I pick off a sprigs, and OMG! Peppery, harsh taste. ~ jan

Green vegetables are always good for you !

Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 0 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 11:02 AM
watercress K30a Ponds 2 25-07-2003 11:32 PM
bidet /Watercress David Hill United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 07:20 AM
Watercress root rotting, freshwater fish tank. DogCow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM