Old 30-03-2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Default Pond snails

I am hearing good things about having snails in your pond.
What do you experts think ?
I am afraid that these things multiply like crazy and don't want them
getting into my vegetable garden or plants lining the pond.
Old 31-03-2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.ponds

they eat your plants, the die and seriously foul the water.
worst, snails are the intermediate host for quite a few fish diseases.
Ingrid

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

I am hearing good things about having snails in your pond.
What do you experts think ?
I am afraid that these things multiply like crazy and don't want them
getting into my vegetable garden or plants lining the pond.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 31-03-2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

I am hearing good things about having snails in your pond.
What do you experts think ?
I am afraid that these things multiply like crazy and don't want them
getting into my vegetable garden or plants lining the pond.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Well you answered my question.

Thanks !!!
Old 31-03-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

I am hearing good things about having snails in your pond.
What do you experts think ?
I am afraid that these things multiply like crazy and don't want them
getting into my vegetable garden or plants lining the pond.

I don't _think_ aquatic snails are likely to get into your terrestrial
plants. They're aquatic :-) And despite Ingrid's cautions, you're not
going to have a pond _without_ snails. I don't think the "die and
seriously foul the water" issue is a problem. Ponds are full of creatures
that die. Mostly they get eaten by something else before they become
problems. I wouldn't deliberately introduce snails - partly because
they're "disease vectors", and partly because purchased snails are likely
to be non-native and they will definitely get loose, but don't worry about
trying to eliminate the ones you _will_ find.
--
derek
Old 31-03-2006, 06:53 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

Did you buy the ramshorn snails at an aquarium store ?
Are they the GOLD ones ?

Nothing that fancy. I got a bag of duckweed from a friend at the
aquarium society and there were red and brown ramshorns in it. I put
the red ones inside and the brown ones outdoors. They stay quite small
- usually smaller than a dime. Avoid the big, gold Columbian ramshorns.
Those are voracious plant eaters.

I also have a few physid snails - I have no idea where they came from.
They're the little bitty football shaped ones. They have more of a
reputation for multiplying and eating plants, but my plants look fine.

You mentioned collecting from a mountain stream, but I'm not sure I'd go
that far. Ingrid has a good point that snails can carry diseases,
although all of the snail-borne diseases also require specific
fish-eating birds and specific species of snails. The whole lifecycle
is unlikely to be completed in a small pond, but maybe in a larger one.
Of course, a large pond will get snails anyway.

Sick fish - pelican or heron - infected snail - waterborne parasite.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 31-03-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Altum" wrote in message
et...

Sick fish - pelican or heron - infected snail - waterborne parasite.

I think you missed a step in there.

infected fish - heron - poop in water - infected snail - waterborne
parasite.

Old 31-03-2006, 09:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Snooze wrote:
"Altum" wrote in message
et...
Sick fish - pelican or heron - infected snail - waterborne parasite.

I think you missed a step in there.

infected fish - heron - poop in water - infected snail - waterborne
parasite.

Yeah. Ewww. Another goes something like

infected fish - bird's throat - back in water while eating another
fish - infected snail - waterborne parasite - burrow into fish

Is that a weird lifecycle or what??? I'll stick to plain old sexual
reproduction, thanks. ;-)

Old 31-03-2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
DavidM

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:
I am hearing good things about having snails in your pond.
What do you experts think ?
I am afraid that these things multiply like crazy and don't want them
getting into my vegetable garden or plants lining the pond.

Is this the first real pond post in days? I filter out all posts that
_don't_ have the word "pond" in their subject. How many am I missing?

I gave up keeping a killfile for this group long ago, the last couple of
days there have been hundreds of messages that got filtered down to zero
for not containing the word pond in their subject.

David
Old 31-03-2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

DavidM wrote:
CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

I am hearing good things about having snails in your pond.
What do you experts think ?
I am afraid that these things multiply like crazy and don't want them
getting into my vegetable garden or plants lining the pond.

Is this the first real pond post in days? I filter out all posts that
_don't_ have the word "pond" in their subject. How many am I missing?

I gave up keeping a killfile for this group long ago, the last couple of
days there have been hundreds of messages that got filtered down to zero
for not containing the word pond in their subject.

David

There have been a lot of on-topic postings over the last few days but
most don't have the word "pond" in the subject. The background noise is
quietening down although not gone completely. Try looking at the recent
stuff (this month) and filter out the off-topic stuff...

Gill
Old 31-03-2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mister Gardener

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:16:07 GMT, Altum
wrote:

Snooze wrote:
"Altum" wrote in message
et...
Sick fish - pelican or heron - infected snail - waterborne parasite.

I think you missed a step in there.

infected fish - heron - poop in water - infected snail - waterborne
parasite.

Yeah. Ewww. Another goes something like

infected fish - bird's throat - back in water while eating another
fish - infected snail - waterborne parasite - burrow into fish

Is that a weird lifecycle or what??? I'll stick to plain old sexual
reproduction, thanks. ;-)

Heeheehee. Now that's something most of us can relate to.
(picture of dirty old man snickering goes here)

-- Mister Gardener
Old 31-03-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

"Gareeeİ" wrote:

I wrote in message
I use trap door snails to keep my pond clean. They thrive on algae and
don't touch my plants and dead plant material. My fish love the nice
clean water they leave.

Can those be purchased at pet stores?

I bought mine at a pond shop. Here in SE PA our best pond shop is a
great garden center called Black Creek Greenhouse off route 625 in
Lancaster County in the Pennsylvania Dutch area. *It is about a couple
miles north of Shady Maple (rt. 23). It is open from April 1 to July 1,
and is the best place for water plants, Koi, and snails.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6