Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Lilies, make a note

This year, when dividing your lilies make a note of which ones produce the
most babies. Being one that doesn't like to toss them on the compost I'd
like to consider ones that produce hardly any. What I've seen so far in my
own pond is Virginia, Peaches & Creme, and Gypsy don't produce a lot. The
pinks seem to be the most prolific. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 07-04-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
This year, when dividing your lilies make a note of which ones produce the
most babies. Being one that doesn't like to toss them on the compost I'd
like to consider ones that produce hardly any. What I've seen so far in my
own pond is Virginia, Peaches & Creme, and Gypsy don't produce a lot. The
pinks seem to be the most prolific. ~ jan

=====================
My Yellow Sulphura (sp?) needs the most attention and replanting - but it
also has the most flowers next to the $4.88 mini from Wal*Mart.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

~ janj wrote:
This year, when dividing your lilies make a note of which ones produce the
most babies. Being one that doesn't like to toss them on the compost I'd
like to consider ones that produce hardly any. What I've seen so far in my
own pond is Virginia, Peaches & Creme, and Gypsy don't produce a lot. The
pinks seem to be the most prolific. ~ jan

-----------------

How do you divide lilies? I've got one that's a year old and I don't
know what I'm supposed to do with it. Ingrid said how to repot it, but
how do I tell whether it needs to be divided before I repot? It put out
those little submerged leaves from more than one place.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Altum" wrote in message
om...
How do you divide lilies? I've got one that's a year old and I don't know
what I'm supposed to do with it. Ingrid said how to repot it, but how do
I tell whether it needs to be divided before I repot? It put out those
little submerged leaves from more than one place.

=========================
Look he
http://www.watergarden.com/pages/plant_care.html

Old 08-04-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Altum wrote:

How do you divide lilies? I've got one that's a year old and I don't
know what I'm supposed to do with it. Ingrid said how to repot it, but
how do I tell whether it needs to be divided before I repot? It put out
those little submerged leaves from more than one place.

It's _really_ easy. Basically, cut them with anything sharp, at any point
between the growing shoots. The larger the piece of tuber, the better it
will grow, as it's relying on the stored food in there to get it going
until it gets a good canopy of leaves.

If you need to repot it, it probably needs to be divided. It basically
needs to be divided when it gets too big :-) If it's jumped it's pot, or
in my case where they're just fastened to a rock, when it lifts the rock
off the pond bottom, then it needs to be divided.
--
derek

Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.ponds

lilies have "direction" to their growth. when potted the back end is up against one
side of the pot and the growing point is aimed at the other side of the pot. when
the growing point reaches the other side of the pot and starts climbing out of the
pot it is time to repot. OR.... there is so much growth in the pot that you cannot
find any mud to push a fert pellet down into the muck. a year old lily usually wont
need to be repotted. Ingrid

Altum wrote:
I've got one that's a year old and I don't
know what I'm supposed to do with it.
how do I tell whether it needs to be divided before I repot? It put out
those little submerged leaves from more than one place.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 08-04-2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

My Yellow Sulphura (sp?) needs the most attention and replanting - but it
also has the most flowers next to the $4.88 mini from Wal*Mart.

What color is your mini, and is this your only one? I'm wondering if all
minis are similar or just some, like regular lilies. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:32:56 GMT, Altum wrote:

How do you divide lilies? I've got one that's a year old and I don't
know what I'm supposed to do with it. Ingrid said how to repot it, but
how do I tell whether it needs to be divided before I repot? It put out
those little submerged leaves from more than one place.

When the main part hits the other side of the pot (or close to it). This
website has a great cross section picture on what it should look like when
you repot. (Lily position in the pot.)
http://www.springdalewatergardens.com/plants/hl.html
~ jan

-----------------
Old 08-04-2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 19:54:46 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

Look he
http://www.watergarden.com/pages/plant_care.html

That one has some great picture too. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 08-04-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Koi-Lo wrote:

Look he
http://www.watergarden.com/pages/plant_care.html

That's the site I was looking for when I posted a couple weeks ago!
Thank you. I've bookmarked it this time.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:50 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
My Yellow Sulphura (sp?) needs the most attention and replanting - but it
also has the most flowers next to the $4.88 mini from Wal*Mart.

What color is your mini, and is this your only one? I'm wondering if all
minis are similar or just some, like regular lilies. ~ jan

=====================
In pictures it looks mostly pink. I opens and goes through several colors,
from a peachy, yellowish (sometimes with an orange cast) to a pink. The
flowers last at least 3 days. I'll post a color pic on the aquarium binary
group.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Altum" wrote in message
et...

Thanks. From what you're saying, I think this one does need repotting. I
set it in one corner growing across the pot last year and it made it all
the way across. It's sending leaves out from the very corner of its
container. The growing season is very long here - that probably makes a
difference. I think it has an offshoot because I saw the little
underwater leaves from more than one place. I'll see how big it is when I
pull it out of the pot to replant.

To get the most flowers try to keep it to one or two crowns (growing tips)
and fertilize it. I use Jobe's Rose spikes from WMart.