Old 19-04-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

Default Q about feeding

I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't find them
now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?
I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in the
morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best? Pond is planted up now,
and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in a couple of weeks.
Thanks
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 19-04-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"BoyPete" wrote in message
I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't find them
now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?

Water temperature. Most ponders don't feed their fish when the water is
below 50F.

I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in the
morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best?

You can feed then both times. Mine are fed around noon, then again shortly
before sundown.

Pond is planted up now,
and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in a couple of weeks.
Thanks

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Troll Information:
http://tinyurl.com/9zbh
http://tinyurl.com/d8e4
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/
Reading Headers:
http://tinyurl.com/amm9s
*Note: There are three *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 20-04-2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:54:45 +0100, "BoyPete" wrote:

I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't find them
now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?
I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in the
morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best? Pond is planted up now,
and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in a couple of weeks.
Thanks

Based on water temp, and approaching weather during spring and fall. What
zone are you in, what is your water temperature now? ~ jan

-----------------
Old 20-04-2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.ponds

6 in the evening. water temp 55oF or so. Ingrid

~ janj wrote:

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:54:45 +0100, "BoyPete" wrote:

I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't find them
now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?
I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in the
morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best? Pond is planted up now,
and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in a couple of weeks.
Thanks

Based on water temp, and approaching weather during spring and fall. What
zone are you in, what is your water temperature now? ~ jan

-----------------

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 20-04-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

wrote:

I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't
find them now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?
I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in
the morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best? Pond is
planted up now, and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in
a couple of weeks. Thanks

Based on water temp, and approaching weather during spring and fall.
What zone are you in, what is your water temperature now? ~ jan

-----------------

Hi, I'm in SE London, UK. Water temp tonight at 6pm, was 12deg C/53deg F.
Weather is pleasant, and getting warmer.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 20-04-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
David Sim

wrote:

I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't
find them now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?
I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in
the morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best? Pond is
planted up now, and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in
a couple of weeks. Thanks

Based on water temp, and approaching weather during spring and fall.
What zone are you in, what is your water temperature now? ~ jan

-----------------

Hi, I'm in SE London, UK. Water temp tonight at 6pm, was 12deg C/53deg F.
Weather is pleasant, and getting warmer.
--
ßôyþëtë

I'm feeding mine 7am then again at 7pm & they're fine - pond's in Reading,
Berkshire

Old 20-04-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

David Sim wrote:

wrote:

I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't
find them now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?
I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in
the morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best? Pond is
planted up now, and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in
a couple of weeks. Thanks

Based on water temp, and approaching weather during spring and fall.
What zone are you in, what is your water temperature now? ~ jan

-----------------

Hi, I'm in SE London, UK. Water temp tonight at 6pm, was 12deg C/53deg F.
Weather is pleasant, and getting warmer.
--
ßôyþëtë

I'm feeding mine 7am then again at 7pm & they're fine - pond's in Reading,
Berkshire

When did you start feeding them? Hasn't it been a little cold in Reading
until this week? But maybe it depends which side of the river you
live.... :-)

Old 20-04-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
David Sim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

:-)

===================
I feed mine when the water is 53F as his is. That is if they're actively
looking for food, and it's obvious they're hungry.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-04-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

David Sim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

With temps in the local area only just getting into the 60s this week
and dropping into the 40s if not lower at night (but only very recently
even getting this high) I would be suprised if the water temp does not
drop quite a bit below 53F in the evening. Most of it would depend,
surely, on the time when the reading was taken...

So, if we are going on a temp scale for the feeding of outdoor fish is
it taken on the max or min temperature?

Just curious
Gill

Old 20-04-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Koi-Lo wrote:
I feed mine when the water is 53F as his is. That is if they're actively
looking for food, and it's obvious they're hungry.

With temps in the local area only just getting into the 60s this week and
dropping into the 40s if not lower at night (but only very recently even
getting this high) I would be suprised if the water temp does not drop
quite a bit below 53F in the evening. Most of it would depend, surely, on
the time when the reading was taken...

So, if we are going on a temp scale for the feeding of outdoor fish is it
taken on the max or min temperature?

Just curious
Gill

============================
I feed at the max temp for the day. I feed only once a day (around noon to
2PM) when the water is in the 50s. They have time to digest it before the
water temp drops after sundown. I've had no problems.

Old 21-04-2006, 06:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:23:59 +0100, "BoyPete" wrote:

Based on water temp, and approaching weather during spring and fall.
What zone are you in, what is your water temperature now? ~ jan

Hi, I'm in SE London, UK. Water temp tonight at 6pm, was 12deg C/53deg F.
Weather is pleasant, and getting warmer.

When water is between 50-60F, only feed once 2-3 times per week. Imo, watch
weather, if a cold front is coming don't feed that day. 60-70F 2/day,
70-80F 3-6/day (the more times, smaller amounts). Over 85F don't feed as
filter is not working at optimum. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-04-2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

BoyPete wrote:
I've seen some posts in here about times to feed fish, but can't find
them now. Temp. was mentioned too, is this air or water temp?
I'm away from the house 12 hours a day, so can only feed either 6 in
the morning, or 6 in the evening. Which would be best? Pond is
planted up now, and filter running, so will start to stock slowly in
a couple of weeks. Thanks

Many thanks for replies
--
ßôyþëtë

Tomato feeding Annabel United Kingdom 1 15-07-2003 03:07 PM
When to start feeding? Bob Ponds 18 18-03-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-03-2003 06:45 PM
staghorn ferns, feeding? mcameron, bill Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:15 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM