Old 29-04-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

Default Water lily Q

I've read somewhere they don't like their pads splashed. No matter how I
arrange lily/fountain, I can't avoid splashing. What will it do to the lily?

--
ßôyþëtë

Old 29-04-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"BoyPete" wrote in message
I've read somewhere they don't like their pads splashed. No matter how I
arrange lily/fountain, I can't avoid splashing. What will it do to the
lily?

=================
*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

Their leaves, the ones that get splashed, will turn light and die faster
than normal. At least that was my experience.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-04-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.ponds

nothing. mine are splashed and they bloom like crazy. Ingrid

"BoyPete" wrote:

I've read somewhere they don't like their pads splashed. No matter how I
arrange lily/fountain, I can't avoid splashing. What will it do to the lily?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 29-04-2006, 07:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:32:10 +0100, "BoyPete" wrote:

I've read somewhere they don't like their pads splashed. No matter how I
arrange lily/fountain, I can't avoid splashing. What will it do to the lily?

The pads that get splashed won't look so great, the lily will still
survive. I've had lilies that just can't help themselves but grow towards
the water sprout/fall/or fountain for some reason. As far as a
non-splashing fountain the best nozzle is the bell shape, also the
quietest. Which can be a good thing, bad thing, depending on your location
and point of view. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 29-04-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

wrote:

I've read somewhere they don't like their pads splashed. No matter
how I arrange lily/fountain, I can't avoid splashing. What will it
do to the lily?

The pads that get splashed won't look so great, the lily will still
survive. I've had lilies that just can't help themselves but grow
towards the water sprout/fall/or fountain for some reason. As far as a
non-splashing fountain the best nozzle is the bell shape, also the
quietest. Which can be a good thing, bad thing, depending on your
location and point of view. ~ jan

-----------------

I like the sound of splashing water when I'm in the garden. I also have a
small water feature, and last summer the neighbours mentioned politely, that
on hot nights when they had windows open, the noise was a little annoying,
so it, and the pond fountain are now on timers.
I 'could' move it to deeper water (30ins) but it would be right next to the
pump (a Hozelock Titan 2000), and I don't think it would like that.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 29-04-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo©

Poor pityfull neighbors you have there. I would start to really make
their life miserable.......maybe they will pick up and leave........I
would be damed if I ever put a timer on my fountain to suit my
neighbors sleep habits, and would instead recomend they move to
another bedroom, or buyt some damed air conditioning or offer em up
some old cigarette butts that they can cram in their ears for plugs!

wrote:

[...]

Frugal ponding since 1982.
Aquariums since 1956.
Some assholes Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
But, I am the one and only original Koi-Lo.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Old 29-04-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I like the sound of splashing water when I'm in the garden. I also have a
small water feature, and last summer the neighbours mentioned politely, that
on hot nights when they had windows open, the noise was a little annoying,

I have some frogs that would make your neighbors appreciate the music from
the fountain. BEG

I 'could' move it to deeper water (30ins) but it would be right next to the
pump (a Hozelock Titan 2000), and I don't think it would like that.

I know my lilies prefer/preform better at 2 feet, perhaps you could
straddle the pump with a shelf to set the lily on? ~ jan

-----------------
Old 01-05-2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

BoyPete wrote:

I've read somewhere they don't like their pads splashed. No matter how I
arrange lily/fountain, I can't avoid splashing. What will it do to the
lily?

My experience mirrors others. Everything I've read says lilies like "still"
water - the average pond, even with a waterfall, is pretty "still" compared
to a stream. The only problem with splashing from a fountain is that
droplets on the pads act as little magnifying glasses and cause burns to
the leaves.
--
derek
Old 01-05-2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

~ janj wrote:

I like the sound of splashing water when I'm in the garden. I also have a
small water feature, and last summer the neighbours mentioned politely,
that on hot nights when they had windows open, the noise was a little
annoying,

I have some frogs that would make your neighbors appreciate the music from
the fountain. BEG

Neighbours! Who needs them...

I 'could' move it to deeper water (30ins) but it would be right next to
the pump (a Hozelock Titan 2000), and I don't think it would like that.

I know my lilies prefer/preform better at 2 feet, perhaps you could
straddle the pump with a shelf to set the lily on? ~ jan

Go deep - the pump isn't a problem.
--
derek
Old 01-05-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Hey whiney boy

Go deep is what your wife said last time I saw her.........