Old 29-04-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Water Lily - no Pond

wrote in message
oups.com...

So I impulsively bought a water lily at Lowe's. It was encased in a
plastic container, surrounded in a granola looking clay material. I
took it home and found a deep pot that will hold water, at least 16
inches tall. I took it out of it's outer plastic container, stuck in
in the water, then filled the pot with pebbles, becuase it seemed like
the thing to do.

So, can I expect this to do anything? Will it just grow like that?
It's been there for about a week, and I'm not quite sure but I think it
may have started to grow a bit. I'm in the northeast, near Allentown
Pennsylvania. What can I expect?

=================================
*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

I grow them in anything that will hold water. I do plant mine in lined
(with old T-shirts) pond-plant pots and fertilize them with Jobe's rose
spikes chopped into 3rds or 4ths. Some water lilies get huge though and
need something larger than those commonly seen wash tubs.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-04-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.ponds

Koi-Lo wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Cool. I just moved back home for awhile, and yearning for the garden I
had at my own place, I took over my mom's deck and started planting
stuff. She gave me this poor pitiful look when I showed her the water
lily I just bought. "But...we don't have a pond.." she said. I
assured her "it'll grow! I'll just stick it in water!" I wasn't
*positive* but I couldn't imagine why not...

I saw somebody discussing that you could easily devide huge water
lilies in two to put them in separate pots? Of course letting it grow
too much is the least of my worries. I'll just be happy if it does
something.

-DaveK

Old 29-04-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

wrote in message
ups.com...

Koi-Lo wrote:
I grow them in anything that will hold water. I do plant mine in lined
(with old T-shirts) pond-plant pots and fertilize them with Jobe's rose
spikes chopped into 3rds or 4ths. Some water lilies get huge though and
need something larger than those commonly seen wash tubs.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Cool. I just moved back home for awhile, and yearning for the garden I
had at my own place, I took over my mom's deck and started planting
stuff. She gave me this poor pitiful look when I showed her the water
lily I just bought. "But...we don't have a pond.." she said. I
assured her "it'll grow! I'll just stick it in water!" I wasn't
*positive* but I couldn't imagine why not...

I've seen beautiful water lilies in barrels and those beer or laundry tubs
from the Dollar Stores.

I saw somebody discussing that you could easily devide huge water
lilies in two to put them in separate pots?

Yes, each "eye" with a growing tip is a potential new plant.

Of course letting it grow
too much is the least of my worries. I'll just be happy if it does
something.

Ask here if you need more help or advice, or Google water+lilies or
something similar.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-04-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.ponds

Koi-Lo wrote:
*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

wrote in message
ups.com...

Koi-Lo wrote:
[...]

Thanks. And I really like your page BTW. Ever think of linking the
pictures thumbnails to larger versions? I'd like to have a better look
at them!

And frugal anything is good...

-DaveK

Old 30-04-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks. And I really like your page BTW. Ever think of linking the
pictures thumbnails to larger versions? I'd like to have a better look
at them!

Thanks. The thumbnails are something to consider.

And frugal anything is good...

I agree there 100%! :-)))
--
Koi-Lo....