Old 12-05-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Default Hardy lily kit

I ordered a couple of hardy lilies online and when they arrived they
were one of those encased in coconut fur in a plastic casing. The
instructions say to just float it in the water and watch them grow.
Is it that easy ? Should I see sprouting from the top ?
These are my first lilies so sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
.. .
I ordered a couple of hardy lilies online and when they arrived they were
one of those encased in coconut fur in a plastic casing. The instructions
say to just float it in the water and watch them grow.
Is it that easy ? Should I see sprouting from the top ?
These are my first lilies so sorry for the dumb questions.

Pretty much. I just rest my lilly rhizome under some pea gravel in a pond
basket, just to keep in 1 location.

If you live up north, you might want to put in a plastic mesh basket with
some pea gravel over it, to ensure that the rhizome stays below the ice
level.

-S

Old 12-05-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*NOTE: There are two Koi-Lo's on this NG*

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
.. .
I ordered a couple of hardy lilies online and when they arrived they were
one of those encased in coconut fur in a plastic casing. The instructions
say to just float it in the water and watch them grow.
Is it that easy ? Should I see sprouting from the top ?
These are my first lilies so sorry for the dumb questions.

===================
Wal*Mart is selling them that way this year for $4.99 or something like
that. That's too small for a lily. I planted mine in the largest lined
pond plant baskets (I line them with old pillowcases) I could find and added
a broken Jobe's Rose fertilizer stick to each pot. The soil was covered
with pea gravel. They're growing like crazy. :-) Derek seems to have
good luck just dropping them in his pond.........
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-05-2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.ponds
Tai-Fu the Kung-Fu dude

Yet another simple mimnded nit wit that needs these type plants......

I stil have yet to see 2 assholes by the name of Koi-Lo in over 10-12
days now, so your evidently lying again which would be the norm, or
your off your meds again which I doubt since there is no medical help
that will work for you........

On Fri, 12 May 2006 15:35:52 -0500, "Koi-Lo" wrote:
*NOTE: There are two Koi-Lo's on this NG*

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
om...
I ordered a couple of hardy lilies online and when they arrived they were
one of those encased in coconut fur in a plastic casing. The instructions
say to just float it in the water and watch them grow.
Is it that easy ? Should I see sprouting from the top ?
These are my first lilies so sorry for the dumb questions.
===================
Wal*Mart is selling them that way this year for $4.99 or something like
that. That's too small for a lily. I planted mine in the largest lined
pond plant baskets (I line them with old pillowcases) I could find and added
a broken Jobe's Rose fertilizer stick to each pot. The soil was covered
with pea gravel. They're growing like crazy. :-) Derek seems to have
good luck just dropping them in his pond.........

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....but I am entitled to "MY" opinion...
Old 13-05-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Tai-Fu the Kung-Fu dude

Simple things for simple minds...guess you meet that criteria.....

Old 13-05-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Snooze wrote:
"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
.. .
I ordered a couple of hardy lilies online and when they arrived they were
one of those encased in coconut fur in a plastic casing. The instructions
say to just float it in the water and watch them grow.
Is it that easy ? Should I see sprouting from the top ?
These are my first lilies so sorry for the dumb questions.

Pretty much. I just rest my lilly rhizome under some pea gravel in a pond
basket, just to keep in 1 location.

If you live up north, you might want to put in a plastic mesh basket with
some pea gravel over it, to ensure that the rhizome stays below the ice
level.

-S

I assume these are dormant at this stage. How long before I see any
kind of growth ?
Old 13-05-2006, 02:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

wrote:

I ordered a couple of hardy lilies online and when they arrived they
were one of those encased in coconut fur in a plastic casing. The
instructions say to just float it in the water and watch them grow.
Is it that easy ? Should I see sprouting from the top ?
These are my first lilies so sorry for the dumb questions.

There is a load of varieties that have been developed that are not
like the wild varieties any more and if yours came with instructions
to float it, I would try following the instructions that came with it,
this year anyway.

Water lilies grow naturally in the mud bottom of lakes in the area,
but they tolerate a lot of different planting media, so long as they
can absorb the nutrients they need from the from the water. They
grow at different water depths and the one's I have tolerate 3' quite
well. I have heard some like more shallow water and some
instructions indicate they should be started with only a few inches of
water covering them and lowered as they grow.

Your message was a surprise for me and I hope you will let us know how
floating a lily works. I've tossed a few in as floaters, without the
cocoanut fibers, just naked to keep them wet a few days until they
could be given away, but haven't tried floating containers yet.

Regards,

Hal
Old 13-05-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lizzard Guy

WELL IF YOUR PULLING IT LIKE YOU NORMALLY DO WHEN CAROL AND GILL IS
NOT AROUND THEN ITS LOST HOPE IN GETTING IT TO GROW ANY LONGER
DUMBASS.

Old 13-05-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*NOTE: There are two Koi-Lo's on this NG*

Pecking at the keyboard with two fingers CanadianCowboyİ at
turned out this gem:

I assume these are dormant at this stage. How long before I see any
kind of growth ?

I saw growth on mine almost immediately. They were put in tubs in a sunny
spot out of the wind. They had tiny leaves pointing up when I bought them.
They sure grew fast! The fastest has about 10 pads already and will
probably bloom in another few weeks.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.