Old 13-05-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
pete

Default string algae (again)

I have two small water gardens, one approximately 250 gallons, the other
about 80 gallons. The larger of the two has crystal-clear water, with
absolutely no string algae to speak of. The smaller pond is another matter;
it is infested with string algae, which seems to be growing exponentially.
I have plenty of plants, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. Any
suggestions as to how I can rid the pond of the string algae? I also have
a barley pad in the pond.

Old 13-05-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

Yea, get a wheelbarrow and fill it with dirt and then dump dirt in the
mud holes yu call a pond......the best thing yu can do is find a
suitable fish / pond newsgroup and ask for info there as all yuyr
gonna get here is bullshit from a bunch of wanna be ponders who are
mere assholes and about as smart as zits on a crack ho's ass.

On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:40:40 GMT, "pete" wrote:
I have two small water gardens, one approximately 250 gallons, the other
about 80 gallons. The larger of the two has crystal-clear water, with
absolutely no string algae to speak of. The smaller pond is another matter;
it is infested with string algae, which seems to be growing exponentially.
I have plenty of plants, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. Any
suggestions as to how I can rid the pond of the string algae? I also have
a barley pad in the pond.

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....but I am entitled to "MY" opinion...
Old 13-05-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:40:40 GMT, "pete" wrote:

I have two small water gardens, one approximately 250 gallons, the other
about 80 gallons. The larger of the two has crystal-clear water, with
absolutely no string algae to speak of. The smaller pond is another matter;
it is infested with string algae, which seems to be growing exponentially.
I have plenty of plants, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. Any
suggestions as to how I can rid the pond of the string algae? I also have
a barley pad in the pond.

What is in the pond besides what you mentioned? Makes a difference what to
prescribe to help you out. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-05-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"pete" wrote in message
I have two small water gardens, one approximately 250 gallons, the other
about 80 gallons. The larger of the two has crystal-clear water, with
absolutely no string algae to speak of. The smaller pond is another matter;
it is infested with string algae, which seems to be growing exponentially.
I have plenty of plants, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. Any
suggestions as to how I can rid the pond of the string algae? I also have
a barley pad in the pond.

=======================
Does your pond have a lot of rotten plant matter from last fall still in it?
Any rotting debris is feeding the algae. You may want to drain it down and
remove any mulm and crud on the bottom. Remove as much of the string algae
as possible. A bottle brush works well. Refill and add about 1 1/2 tsp's
of POTASH or potassium. I use Muriate of Potash from a local nursery. This
will help the higher plants utilize the Nitrates and phosphates, starving
the algae out. You may need to thin out the number of fish as well while
you have it drained down.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.