Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mama Bear

Default Attempt at water ditch waterfall.

We have an agricultural water ditch running right next to our house.
It's about 4' wide and 3' deep. ( the actual ditch not the water flow )

We thought it would be nice to have some falling water sound in there,
so we could hear it in our yard. So I went and bought 6 concrete blocks
at the store ( 8x8x16 ) and put 3 across the bottom and 3 across on top
of those, but as the water rose in the ditch, the pressure pushed them
all over.

So I put the bottom row back in place and placed the top row back, but
set back a couple of inches towards the water flow, so they wouldn't
topple over. But what that did was create a situation where the water
flows up into the holes in the top row, down into the holes in the
bottom row, and back out through the holes in the bottom row again. It
makes a little waterfall sound but not enough to hear from the house.

How can I do this, so as to keep the water pressure from pushing the
blocks over, and still make the water flow over the top in a nice little
waterfall?

I thought of putting a wood panel up against the blocks from the back,
sort of like a ramp, so the water might flow up and over the top, but
don't know if that would stay in place either.

--
- Mama Bear
Old 06-06-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Attempt at water ditch waterfall. - sounds of water

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
We have an agricultural water ditch running right next to our house.
It's about 4' wide and 3' deep. ( the actual ditch not the water flow )

===============
What you are attempting may not be legal. Why not put in a small pond with
a waterfall or some kind of fountain to make the noise you seek?
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote :

What you are attempting may not be legal. Why not put in a small
pond with a waterfall or some kind of fountain to make the noise you
seek?

Interesting thought.

Do they have inexpensive self-priming pond pumps that would pull water
from the ditch 30 feet away, and up into, for example, a large fountain
bird bath?

Why do you need to use water from this ditch? Surely you have running water
in your home. ???

It could be rigged up with a float switch to only turn on when
the birds knocked the water level down.

If it's underwater there is no need for it to be self priming. When the
switch flips it will run.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote :
If it's underwater there is no need for it to be self priming. When
the switch flips it will run.

Not what I'm talking about. I don't have electricity out in the ditch. I
need the pump at the house where the bird bath will be, and for it to
suck water from the ditch 30 ft away, self priming, and fill the
fountain or bird bath.

--
- Mama Bear

============================
I see what you mean. You would need a powerful and "not cheap" pump to suck
the water from 30' away. I have a birdbath that holds about 2 gallons of
water and only have to fill it once every few days.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

As yuy can tell this dumb assed bitch Carol Gulley aka koi lo does not
have a clue what the hell she is talking about as usual. her answers
illustrate this perfectly, as she was at a loss to find an existing
website with the pertinient information she could just copy / paste
and pretend she knew the answer to like she normally does......so
there fore with her propensity to respond and be noticed she is gonna
state something, anything , no matter if its right or wrong......

Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Yes they do make pumps as such. Its not the disrtance that degrades a
pumps performance as much as the height it has to pull / suck / push
water. A typical birdbath or fountain is pretty well within the
regions of a typical pump, however you need to take into consideratin
the lay of the land as well, as any gade is gong to have to be counted
into the height factor.....

You cold theroetically have a water hole 100 feet away and have a pump
mounted at the end of a 100 feet of pipe, and pull water fairly
efficient. However pushing water by having water at the water hole
and pushing it 100 feet is harder to do, so your best off with the
pump around the fountain area....make the supplly line larger than is
necessary. If it was me, I would probbaly make a manifold out of large
diameter PVC pipe say 4" or larger, and bury it, so it had an inlet
with screen ata the source of the water in the ditch, and had an out
let at the fountain. Water level would fill this PVC manifold
normally, so I wul din all reality be just pulling water from the
outlet end and let gravity push or keep the manifold filled. Sediement
may be an issue but there is means / fixes to take for that as well..

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 22:41:27 -0500, Mama Bear
wrote:
"Koi-Lo" Reply to NG Only wrote :

What you are attempting may not be legal. Why not put in a small
pond with a waterfall or some kind of fountain to make the noise you
seek?

Interesting thought.

Do they have inexpensive self-priming pond pumps that would pull water
from the ditch 30 feet away, and up into, for example, a large fountain
bird bath? It could be rigged up with a float switch to only turn on when
the birds knocked the water level down.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

What you are attempting may not be legal. Why not put in a small
pond with a waterfall or some kind of fountain to make the noise you
seek?

Interesting thought.

Do they have inexpensive self-priming pond pumps that would pull water
from the ditch 30 feet away, and up into, for example, a large fountain
bird bath? It could be rigged up with a float switch to only turn on when
the birds knocked the water level down.

Sure they do, or a sump pump..... though.... in my county (desert
w/irrigation) you'd need a permit, or it would be consider water stealing.
Yikes! ~ jan
-----------------
Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 08-06-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka ROY wrote in message

Save your momneyb and get a decent filter such as a POndmaster kit or
BIo force. ALgae is a big problem in smaller ponds as such and a
filter capable of picking it o=up is needed, and those filter kits
sold in big box stores are not the ticket. They are minimum by any
means in terms of even filtration no matter what the box label
says.......especially a beckett.
Get a Danner MAg Drive Pondmaster. A Mag7 ot 9 will do it, no need to
go to 2 on such a small preform, unless yu go to a 12 and use it as a
sole pump, but its still may overkill in a 165 gal preform. With 18
inches of depth, and twop feet high water fall, your ball park to a
lift of 3 1/2 feet already and its gonna cut down on pump performance
big time with that becket or anyt other smaller pump even if its just
used for water fall alone.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 02:16:50 GMT, "Steve" wrote:
Well I have been reading for a few weeks and finally decided to do a

pond.
I will probably just put a few small goldfish in it nothing big. It

will be
a preformed one from HD 165 gallons and 18" deep. I will bring in the
goldfish in the winter to an aquarium ( i have 4 of them).

My questions is : I will be getting a pump and filter combo (Beckett

Small
Pond Filter Kit Model 7040210). Will I be able to run a waterfall

that is 2
ft high and about 3 feet away from where the pump will be located? I
noticed that it has a valve for other water features on it so that is

what I
was going to hook up to it. I will use the fountain attachement also.

Thanks in advance. It is all confusing to me. I am jsut not wanting

spend money on two pumps if not needed.

Thanks
steve

Old 08-06-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

"Koi-Lo" aka Roy wrote in message

I think kevin is in dire need of a tranquillizer or two.Chill out
dude, Princes Di is dead and no amound of hurrying up is gonna
change that... better yet, go ask your stupid questions on google run
by and for brits!

Old 08-06-2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunman

Default Attempt at water ditch waterfall. - sounds of water (OFF-TOPIC)

On rec.ponds, in
,
"Koi-Lo" wrote:

A classic forged header:

snip

And again I say "DUH" Carol...
--
Anti-Troll FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/d8e4

Ignore the grassy knoll, there is only one Lone Gunman.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:53 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

"~Roy" aka Koi-Lo wrote in message
Its b****ing asholes like you that keep the noise level going. Your
the first ****ing moron to snap today......you poor pityful
looser......

Old 08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear

How can I do this, so as to keep the water pressure from pushing the
blocks over, and still make the water flow over the top in a nice little
waterfall?

--
- Mama Bear

I'd buy solid block and cut them to the shape of arch stones, ie wedge like, them build them in a curve like the hoover dam. A 9" diamond edged stone cutting disc in a 9" angle grinder would make short work of the cutting and the discs are cheap, about £19 here
Old 08-06-2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

Actually there is no ned to use a grinder and cuttin gwheel, as they
are just cast concrete, and using a 4" masonary chisel and hammer
makes a nice clean break directly under the chisels cutting edge.
Nothing to wear out and its fast and easy to cut the typical edger and
retaining wall man made stones with a hammer and wide chisel.

They sell a 4" as well as other thicknesses of solid retaiing wall
stones that are man made. They have a lip on them that would lend
themselves to holding them in place against pressure of water being
against them, as the way they stack would lock them in polace just
fine, plus they have the ends cut on an angle so it would
automatically form a curved wall without the need to really cut any of
them. I think sediment would eventually fill in a lot of the joints,
and if there is enough volume would still fill up behind it just fine
even if it does leak in joints etc.