Old 14-06-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Where to put pumps?

PlainBill wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:21:17 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

You're confusing a law of physics with efficiency. A suction pump
cannot lift water more than 32 feet because atmospheric pressure is
14.7 psi.

No, I don't believe I am - I'm pointing out that those laws of physics
_affect_ the efficiency.

Even that is not strictly true - the motor and impeller of
a jet pump can be more than 32 feet above the surface of the water,

Of course it's strictly true. A jet pump is NOT a suction pump.

Use this analogy: You have a heavy object, suspended by a rope. The

Lousy analogy. Precisely because it does _not_ work the same way as
suction.

As I said before, for a given pump, the efficiency is the same pushing
or pulling.

And as I said, it doesn't matter as long as the two pumps are at the same
level relative to the water line - we can keep repeating ourselves forever
if you want.

The BIG variable is the pump itself. Then laying out the plumbing
with as few turns as possible.

Absolutely.
--
derek
Old 14-06-2006, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Me thinks you need to go back and read about how pumps work Mr.
Broughton. Your wrong.

Old 15-06-2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Lone_Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:21:17 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

No, I'm just not buying that. Look at the edge case - if I have a
sufficiently powerful pump in the pond, I can push water up to any
conceivable height.

So define a sufficiently powerful pump please.

I just did - a pump sufficiently powerful to raise water to the desired
height. It's an _axiom_. You'd have trouble understanding that.

If I have a pump outside the pond, at the top of a
waterfall pulling the water, it is impossible to pump more than
approximately 32 feet - with _any_ pump.

Yo are so wrong on that assumption

Well, do feel free to correct it. As it turns out, I'm not - assertions to
the contrary are meaningless without a citation. Bill mentioned jet pumps,
but they _don't_ pull the water.

Odd rule of thumb. Another rule of thumb is 4 changeovers per hour, but
it all depends on the size of the pond.

Yet agaian whose rule of thumb....depends a lot on zone.

I'd want at least that rate for
anything under 500 gallons. I'd drop it to as little as half a turnover
for something in the 5000 gallon range.

A lot has to do with zone and sun exposure and a lot of other items
so much for that rule of YOUR thumb.It sucks if yo ask me,

Now _that's_ an opinion, and you're welcome to it. You're certainly right
that it would depend on sun exposure (though most of us try to maximize
that). I can't see how zone really matters. It certainly depends heavily
on fish load. Hey, it's a rule of thumb. There's nothing scientific about
those.
--
derek
Old 15-06-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Lone Gunner wrote:

Me thinks you need to go back and read about how pumps work Mr.
Broughton. Your wrong.

Methinks (it's just one word) that you need to learn (a) how to argue - it
requires facts; and (b) how pumps work...

plonk
--
derek
Old 15-06-2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Dipshit!

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:45:04 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Lone Gunner wrote:

Me thinks you need to go back and read about how pumps work Mr.
Broughton. Your wrong.

Methinks (it's just one word) that you need to learn (a) how to argue - it
requires facts; and (b) how pumps work...

plonk

alt.suicide,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.fresh water.goldfish,alt.aquaria,rec.ponds,alt.usenet.ko oks,alt.music.neil-young, rec.gardens

Old 15-06-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Ahh, just as others have stated in the past. When Derek gets
questioned or dissagreed with he takes his toys and goes home. I
think a few really have you pegged little boy. Someone really
needs to "plonk" you up along side that thick skull of yours. Derek
would rather plonk than face facts. Some kind of loser to be sure.

Old 15-06-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Derek wrote:

Methinks (it's just one word) that you need to learn (a) how to argue
- it requires facts; and (b) how pumps work.

Do you argue a lot

.

It's a matter of honour.

Am I too young for anti-depressants? Please answer!

You're serious, aren't you, Broughton?

plonk.

plonk

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Old 15-06-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Derek wrote:

.

Fannie.

I know I have a moist face.

You made your bed, Broughton. Die in it.

.

Propagandist.

I just did - a pump sufficiently powerful to raise water to the
desired height.

Really?

It's an _axiom_.

It's a lot of money, but still.

You'd have trouble understanding that.

I would? When would I, allegedly, Broughton?

.

Running around with the lousy Japs, huh?

I get this buzzing anxiety in my head.

Are you always open to discussing your issues in public like that,
Broughton. Or was that just a passing abberation?

.

Parrot.

Well, do feel free to correct it.

Are you positive?

As it turns out, I'm not - assertions to the contrary are meaningless
without a citation.

It was really different in the old days. There were so few people. They
could really, really help people.

Bill mentioned jet pumps, but they _don't_ pull the water.

They say the more you move, the better it is.

.

Would it do any good?

I duzn't know how I gots here. Cheeeiit..

You're serious, aren't you, Broughton?

.

It's really none of your business.

I am an adulterer.

It could be worse; you could be psychotic. It could be better; you could
be suicidal.

Now _that's_ an opinion, and you're welcome to it.

It's not evil.

You're certainly right that it would depend on sun exposure (though
most of us try to maximize that).

It stinks. It's a ****ing latrine.

I can't see how zone really matters.

I agree, in my judgement, you cannot see how zone really matters.

It certainly depends heavily on fish load.

It's all right to be stupid.

Hey, it's a rule of thumb.

Hey, man, buy me a coffee.

There's nothing scientific about those.

How do you know there's nothing scientific about those?